New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board Interview Questions

3.1

Investigator Level I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board.

Interview

You apply through the NYC jobs site; turnaround was about a month between interview and hiring. You meet with the supervisors whose team you will eventually be on and they speak to you about your experience.

Interview Questions

• "How do you manage your time?" was a very important question of the interview process.   1 Answer

Investigator Level I Interview

Interview

45 minute interview with two current employees, standard behavioral questions, questions about the CCRB and police oversight, three hypothetical/situational questions relating to position. Interviewers were friendly and not too intimidating. Overall positive interview experience, no huge curveballs but definitely prepare beforehand and know about the agency and your potential to add value.

Interview Questions

• What do you think are characteristics of a successful Investigator?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position in July 2015 through nycjobs.gov. I received a call screen/schedule for an interview in mid Sept. Interview was scheduled in late Sept. It was a 2hour process with written/CCRB assessment test about the organization. It was a two person interview for 35-40min. I was later offered the position in late October. I declined because of lack employment development(promotion)/investigation process & low-ball salary. It conflicted what was listed on the job posting. They attract applicant with a certain salary range but offer the lowest salary base-line as if you just came out of college. This is what they want anyway to justify low salary offer.

Interview Questions

• How exactly does your education, experience and skills parallel the position?
      How well do you work independently/group setting?
      Lengthy questions about CCRB
      1 Answer

Outreach Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by the Outreach Supervisor; we scheduled an in person interview. When I went into the interview I was given 30 minutes to write out answers to a number of questions about the CCRB as well as Police oversight. After completing the questionnaire, the in person interview began. The interview was conducted with two people (the Outreach Team Supervisor and the Head of HR). A week after the first interview, I was contacted and informed that someone else would be contacting me soon to set up a second interview with the Executive Director. After waiting two weeks, I contacted them to set up the second interview. After the second interview, I was that a decision would be made shortly. Two months passed and a decision was still not made. In total, the interview process took 3+ months. I turned down the CCRB before being offered a position because they were taking too long to make a decisions and there were other opportunities to be had.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line, was called the next day for an interview on the following day. I was interviewed by all three supervisors from the team that was hiring, which was mostly behavioral and scenario based questions. After the interview an investigator was brought in to test my language proficiency. I was hired in less than a week from when I submitted the resume.

Interview Questions

• - What do you know about the CCRB? Why do you think its existence is necessary?
      - Scenario questions:
      * Say after the investigations you disagree with your supervisor on what the disposition should be. What would you do?
      * If you have a conflict with your colleague, what would you do?
      Answer Question

Intake Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Had to fill out a questionnaire, which took about 15 minutes. Then proceeded to my interview with 3 people. Asked simple questions about your background, why you would be a fit etc. Study the website before! Overall, not a difficult interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult person while on the phone?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board.

Interview

The entire process was organized and very formal. Received a phone call to schedule an in-person interview, which occured at the Barnes and Nobles on Union Square. Basically, know the company, your resume, how it fits with your career goals, and what you can offer. Got called in for a second round interview, which was more detailed. Mostly the questions consist of you describing different scenarios and how you dealt with them, or wil deal with them.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to persuade someone or a group of people. What were the steps you took?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

First you take this brief written test, asking you general questions about your thoughts about the role of the agency and how you would handle different situations in an investigation. In the interview they ask you questions about any experience with the police or with investigations (I had none and still got it), what you know about the agency (read through the website before hand so you can sound more knowledgeable), why you think you're qualified, etc. One question I remember specifically is: if you completed an investigation and thought you proved misconduct but your supervisor disagreed and said it was not misconduct, what would you do? I think they want you to say that you would do what the manager said, but would try to learn from the experience to better your judgement in future cases. You have two managers interview you; I think one is supposed to be tough and the other is supposed to be nice. You also submit a 10-page writing sample (you can use a college paper) and your transcripts.

Be aware that, aside from the CCRB hiring process, all city employees have to go through a detailed Department of Investigations background check. No drug test though.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, honestly. If you try to barter for a higher salary they will laugh at you.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

You will have to apply online through the NYC Careers website. You'll be contacted by a supervisor from one of the investigative teams that is undergoing hiring. When you arrive for an interview, you'll fill out a questionnaire within a half an hour. Then, you'll be interviewed by two or three supervisors. They will start by telling you somewhat about the agency and the position. Then go into more substantive questions. Know the basics about the agency. Civilian oversight, accountability, fairness to civilians and officers, dispositions of cases, substantiated, exonerated....

Maybe, they will tell you about the INTAKE UNIT (its new). If they don't, ASK ABOUT IT. You'll be assigned to the Intake Unit for about 6 months. You'll talk on the telephone with complainants 99% of the time and be only part of the very beginning of investigation. But, once you get past that it will get better.

You'll undergo a background check by DOI. There is no drug testing within this agency.

Interview Questions

• What was an not enjoyable and an enjoyable experience with a police officer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. Starting is 36,660 until the mayor changes that. Don't listen to anyone that says different.

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at New York City Civilian Complaint Review Board (New York, NY) in February 2012.

Interview

I got called back for a second interview within days for 2/08/12. The day before the interview I got a call from a female employee stating that I missed my interview. I told her that my interview was not until the 8th. She hung up and said she would call me back. I never heard from her so I responsibly went to the interview the following day. I showed up for second interview and they cancelled after making me wait over an hour. I followed up on 1/14/12 and Director from HR said that I missed my interview. I expressed my concern at why an agency would call the day after my "allegedly" missed interview if they had already dismissed me? I was accused of yelling on the phone, although I was calm and professional. HR Director raised her voice and told me that I was no longer eligible for CCRB employment. She hung up on me without any explanation.