New York City Department of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.6

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

First interview is phone screen. If you do well, they will ask you to come to the office. Person i spoke with was very professional. Once you meet the people you will be working with you should know within 24hours if you were selected. This will be communicated through the agency/school.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with MAC and Windows?

What do you like to do outside of work and school?
      Answer Question

Mathematics Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Went to Department of Education and they gave a list of hiring schools. I called and set up an interview with the principal. We met and she didn't quite approve (because I was white in an all black school) but another teacher told her to give me a chance so I got the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about classroom management?   Answer Question
    • How do you engage parents to remain involved?   Answer Question
    • How to you plan to make Mathematics applicable and interesting to young adults?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Principle Called me asked to come in for an interview

30 minute Demo
    Writing Sample
    Meeting with Science Department
    1 hour meeting with principle

It was interesting, because it was the last day of school.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with the Assistant Principal first. She asked me some questions about myself and my approach to teaching. After she felt that I would be a good candidate, I was able to meet with the principal. Since the school is a high stress area, the Principal was focused more on the emotional ability to handle students with violent backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in teaching in a Special Needs setting?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted the application online and I immediately received a confirmation that my application was received. After one month I received an email inviting me for an interview and I was given the option of three days with different times. I was asked to pick the date and time that was most convenient for me. On the day I was on time, the interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was interview by four people. After the interview they told me I should hear back from the within a week or two.

Interview Questions

• Q: How comfortable are you with presenting in a group of people?   1 Answer

Speech Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

II first interviewed with a speech supervisor. She then e-mailed me a few days later saying that I was being recommended for a position. Then, I interviewed with the principal of the school that I was being recommended for.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience did I have with feeding therapy?   1 Answer

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward, nothing tricky, just us common sense. You need a principal to nominate you for the position, then you get an email (within a week) telling you what you need to do next. You must complete a few workshops, get fingerprinted and input your information online. The workshops are a little expensive. All in all the entire process takes about four to six weeks to complete.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what it means to "scoffold" the lesson?   1 Answer

Lead Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

I applied on the Open Market system for current employees of the Department of Education. I sent my resume and cover letter to between 15 and 20 schools. I received a phone call from the secretary of the principal at my current school and was asked if I could come in for a demo lesson. I taught a demo lesson to a summer school class and was observed by the principal and the AP of the department. After the demo lesson, I interviewed with the principal and AP. The principal extended an offer later that day.

Interview Questions

• How would I reach students who had difficulty with the lesson? How many students achieved mastery of the lesson?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ozone Park, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Ozone Park, NY).

Interview

Hired over 20 years ago by district office and placed in a school. One on one interview. I can't remember any details this was a long time ago. Sent to my school after being hired by the district office.

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education in November 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter, who was straightforward and pleasant but seemed to be recruiting for many different teams. The only question she asked was "Tell me about yourself". Then she described what the process was like, which was a coding challenge, a meeting with the managers, and then a collaborative meeting with the team you'll be working with during which you'll work on something technical (this seems like the technical interview).

For the coding challenge, they send you a spreadsheet of some teacher performance data and ask you to make a report for principals. There is also a questionnaire that asks you some background/behavioral questions and questions about your design decisions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.

Talk to us about something you’ve helped create. Where did the idea come from? Why does it excite you? What were the highs and lows in the development process?

Tell us about a time you had to understand a problem from a perspective that was different than your own. What did you learn?

Create a “report” that represents this data for principals in a clear and engaging way.

Explain your methodology and choices made. Describe the assumptions you made, why you made them, what design choices you made, and what influenced them.

Additionally, describe how you would evaluate the effectiveness of what you produced. Be as specific as possible including both what metrics you would want to measure and how you would define success.

Last, critique your own product. We know nothing is perfect, and we work continuously to improve, so share two things that you think are really great about what you produced and 2 things that you think could likely be improved over time.
      Answer Question