New York City Department of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions

Updated Aug 19, 2018

2.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

You interview with the principal, and if they want you they hand you off to a bureaucratic nightmare to be fingerprinted and processed, which you have to pay about $100 for.

Interview Questions

• Are you okay with taking on a job that is a bit arbitrary at this point?

Are you flexible?

Do you have a lot of patience?

Are you idealistic?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was straight forward. I went to school I applied and sat with the assistant principal and another person that works there. We went through my resume and the AP asked questions. I then asked questions. Part of the questions I was being asked were in another language since that it the main population in the community. I was hired and had to go through fingerprints, and several paperwork at the main office in court street. This process took about 2 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied on 9/30. Got an email a few days later. Came in for group interview that consisted of a performance assessment and speed interviews. The process took 2 hours. At the end the indicated we would be contacted via email with next steps for a follow up interview. The group interview had 6 applicants.

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Bronx, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

My interview was very brief and straight to the point. It basically depends on the principal/assistant principal who is interviewing you. Also, I don't know if it was done on purpose but they had me wait with a "student helper". The student asked me a ton of questions before I met with the principal.

Interview Questions

• What computer applications are you familiar with?   1 Answer

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I had two interviews with the school, was offered the position on the spot during the final interview. The initial interview was with the Principal and her secretary, then 1:1 with each of the two Assistant Principals. The final interview was 1:1 with just the Principal. Be careful was you are told during the interview process, make sure all the conditions are on paper or in writing before you promise anything. I personally have to deal with a Principal who changed her words after starting the job.

Community Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Queens Village, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Queens Village, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

Took over 6 months to hear back from employer. i applied for the job in July and didnt get called for an interview until October, and didnt get a job offer until February. It was a really long day and a bit of a waiting game, but if you want something I guess you wait for it but my word.

Interview Questions

• Basic: What are your interests? Strengths? Weaknesses? A Writing Sample was required. The ability to participate in the day in the life of, which was pretty hard. What is your most challenging experience and how have you learned from it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Long process little amount of time. Make sure you follow steps.
    Must do everything they ask or you will not qualify.
    Follow each step carefully and have appropriate documentation.
    Still waiting for process to be compleet takes about a month and half i would say, give or take.

Paraprofessional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education in February 2015.

Interview

no formal interview to apply...need principal nomination just to get the application .. wait for email to start process, then you take a few online course, then you are called in to write an essay

Paraprofessional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education in January 2014.

Interview

All candidates were gathered in a large room and called in groups. Then each candidate were asked questions and provide the requested documents. Once the documents and payment(s) were collected, you are given a sheet that outlines steps to register online, which included completing some workshops to work in a school setting, and thats it.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience working with children?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview process was entirely online. You were emailed appointments and told what documents were needed such as your State Id or Passport, Social Security Card, etc. There are workshops that are mandated to take before you start working. Taking these workshops before hand will be helpful so that you have everything you need upfront. The process seems tedious t first but actually goes fast thereafter.

Interview Questions

• In a writing proficiency response I was asked to write about my favorite teacher.   1 Answer