New York City Department of Education Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.7

86 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First did a phone interview, waited a week and heard back to come and do an in-person interview. In-person was pretty standard questions. waited two weeks to get response, which isnt too long.

Interview Questions

• how would you handle a situation where a client comes in and is not an English speaker   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with the Assistant Principal first. She asked me some questions about myself and my approach to teaching. After she felt that I would be a good candidate, I was able to meet with the principal. Since the school is a high stress area, the Principal was focused more on the emotional ability to handle students with violent backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in teaching in a Special Needs setting?   Answer Question

Speech Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

II first interviewed with a speech supervisor. She then e-mailed me a few days later saying that I was being recommended for a position. Then, I interviewed with the principal of the school that I was being recommended for.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience did I have with feeding therapy?   1 Answer

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Very straightforward, nothing tricky, just us common sense. You need a principal to nominate you for the position, then you get an email (within a week) telling you what you need to do next. You must complete a few workshops, get fingerprinted and input your information online. The workshops are a little expensive. All in all the entire process takes about four to six weeks to complete.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what it means to "scoffold" the lesson?   1 Answer

Part-time BE Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

I met with acting administrator of small adult education program and an ESL representative. The process consisted of questions and answers by the administrator. He told me that he had recently hired someone and asked to keep my resume.

Interview Questions

• questions were related to educational philosophy, testing vs instruction, they were wide ranging but not easily descriptive of program intent, scope, achievements, and needs.   Answer Question

Paraprofessional Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Long process little amount of time. Make sure you follow steps.
    Must do everything they ask or you will not qualify.
    Follow each step carefully and have appropriate documentation.
    Still waiting for process to be compleet takes about a month and half i would say, give or take.

Physical Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interviewers were very nice and were willing to work with you regarding scheduling. They were able to conduct the interview over the phone with me because I live out of town. They were very friendly and asked me a series of questions with a couple minutes at the end for me to ask questions.

Speech Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

4 step process. Apply for position on line. Then you are invited to the main head quarters for an initial interview process and a writing sample. Then you are invited to meet with all supervisors of districts. After this, you are invited to finally meet with Principals for a final round interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Department of Education   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied in-person, came in to interview with a panel of teachers and various administrators. They asked about teaching style, what your classroom looks like, previous experience, how you engage your students, how you use assessment data, etc. On a later date, was asked to come back to do a 20 minute demo lesson with a full class of students. After the demo lesson, I met with another panel of teachers and administrators to briefly discussed how the lesson went, the strengths, how it could be improved, etc. They asked a few more questions related to school culture, etc. Got a call later in the day to say I got the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you use assessment data to inform your instruction?   Answer Question
    • What is a piece of feedback you received that asked you to improve on something? What was your response?   Answer Question
    • What does your classroom look like?   Answer Question

Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

When I applied for a job online, first, I got an email from the person in charge and got the schedule for a phone interview with principal. After the phone interview, I was scheduled to visit the school and see the principal and some other teachers. They asked many questions for which I answered one by one.