New York City Department of Education Interview Questions in New York State | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Education Interview Questions in New York State

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.6

151 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Parent Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Be as genuine as possible your more than likely interviewing with the principal so let them feel as though they can trust you with the most valuable people in their building. The parents

Interview Questions

• Basic experience and communication skills   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Long Island City, NY).

Interview

One in-person interview with the then Deputy Director. This position no longer exists, so you're likely to interview with the Director or anyone he assigns. The process is very limited: You must apply online (no referrals accepted) and then wait. The DOE is a huge entity and the wheels move very slowly.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Bronx, NY).

Interview

1. Applyed online DOE website (email principal after receiving list of openings for posititions)
    2. Interview & Demo with Principal during summer school (15-20 students) - 1 day interview step. Demo lesson 30-45 minutes with prepared materials and etc. Some interviews will include principal, APs, instructional coaches and etc.
    3. Nomination (DOE process) very long process to complete.

Interview Questions

• Principal Asked : about Management Style . You are given scenarios. Ability to receive feedback from administration. What is your preference? Experience with Danielson Evaluation system. Experience with different curriculum and programs. What extent ?   Answer Question

School Food Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Long Island City, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied and got an e-mail saying they'd contact me when a position opened up. The next week I got a call to schedule an interview in two weeks. I have B.S in Nutrition & Dietetics, no food service management which they clearly saw from my resume. From the interview questions it was clear they were looking for someone with food management experience or a degree in hospitality. I honestly think they should remove the B.S in Nutrition and dietetics from the application requirements because it was clear that didn't matter to them from the interview. All they asked me were management questions when my resume clearly showed I had no role in management. It made me uncomfortable because I had to keep trying to relate my answers back to my job even though it was clearly not what they were looking for.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyside, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Sunnyside, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Expressed interest through the NYC DOE New Teacher Finder. A month or so later I was contacted by the principal to come in for an "Open House" which turned out to be group interviews. The invitation made it seem like it would be more of a meet and greet with staff, so I was surprised when I came in and they were doing quick 5 minute interviews in groups of 2.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

First did a phone interview, waited a week and heard back to come and do an in-person interview. In-person was pretty standard questions. waited two weeks to get response, which isnt too long.

Interview Questions

• how would you handle a situation where a client comes in and is not an English speaker   Answer Question

Mathematics Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Went to Department of Education and they gave a list of hiring schools. I called and set up an interview with the principal. We met and she didn't quite approve (because I was white in an all black school) but another teacher told her to give me a chance so I got the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about classroom management?   Answer Question
    • How do you engage parents to remain involved?   Answer Question
    • How to you plan to make Mathematics applicable and interesting to young adults?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with the Assistant Principal first. She asked me some questions about myself and my approach to teaching. After she felt that I would be a good candidate, I was able to meet with the principal. Since the school is a high stress area, the Principal was focused more on the emotional ability to handle students with violent backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in teaching in a Special Needs setting?   Answer Question

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I submitted the application online and I immediately received a confirmation that my application was received. After one month I received an email inviting me for an interview and I was given the option of three days with different times. I was asked to pick the date and time that was most convenient for me. On the day I was on time, the interview lasted about 30 minutes. I was interview by four people. After the interview they told me I should hear back from the within a week or two.

Interview Questions

• Q: How comfortable are you with presenting in a group of people?   1 Answer

Speech Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

II first interviewed with a speech supervisor. She then e-mailed me a few days later saying that I was being recommended for a position. Then, I interviewed with the principal of the school that I was being recommended for.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience did I have with feeding therapy?   1 Answer