New York City Department of Education Special Education Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Special Education Teacher

Interviews at New York City Department of Education

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

Very random questions are asked. Some of the principals interviewing are down right rude! They are cherry picking people they want, it has nothing to do with your qualifications. If they have a family member connection looking for a position, you are just filling up their data roster so they can show a full search was made before selecting their" neighbors daughter" or other such personal connection.

Interview Questions

• It has been very different each time. Some ask to see a portfolio, some are not interested at all. I was asked some very specific questions, such as, "what were your students test scores from the previous year and how did you move their scores up?"   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for New York City Department of Education

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by the principal, the Assistant Principal as well as two teachers. The interview was very informal, they wanted to get to know me as a person. They did not ask to see portfolio. Many questions was asked about classroom management. Basically they wanted to see if I fit well into their school culture.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

Sent resume to school principal via email.
    Had phone interview with principal.
    Demo lesson - planned and delivered a lesson.
    Demo lesson debrief with principal.
    Interview with hiring team of teachers.
    Interview with principal with a follow up phone conversation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach in this school? I'm this community?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

I had a sit down panel interview with the principal, assistant principal, union rep/special education coordinator, and prospective co-teacher. It lasted about 35 minutes. I got an offer a half hour after I left. I started the next week.

Interview Questions

• Do believe all students can learn?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY).

Interview

I first had a phone interview and then I was invited to come in for a demo lesson. The interview was a typical teacher interview. I did a demo lesson and then debriefed about it after during my interview.

Interview Questions

• What were the positives of my demo lessons, areas of improvement etc.   Answer Question

Special Education Teacher Interview

Interview

Inteviews are generally very quick. Schools love hiring new teachers because they are more affordable then veteran teachers. Schools are usually so busy that you should expect to not be on schedule. Anything goes. The best thing to do is to be prepared with a demo lesson. Practice is key.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with the Principal and Assistant Principal

Negotiation

No negotiation available.

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Bronx, NY).

Interview

Recommended for position by a friend that had worked for this school. Was interviewed by the Principal and Assistant Principal, and hired during the interview.

Negotiation

Teachers are paid according to salary steps, negotiation of salary is not applicable here.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Spoke to a school principal, gave a model lesson, discussed pedagogy.

Negotiation

No negotiation possible. Was able to put in grade-level and subject requests.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

I sent an email to the school's principal and did not hear back for a week. After a week I contacted the school and was told that I could come in for an interview with the principal the following week. I prepared a teaching portfolio including student test scores, prior reviews from past principals, and PICTURES of my classrooms. In the interview the principal only looked at the PICTURES. I was able to discuss a lot of what I had accomplished based on the images of my data wall and bulletin boards.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the new teacher evaluation system.   1 Answer