New York City Department of Education Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 8, 2017

2.4

36 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

one interview and demo lesson, offered the position immediately following the demo lesson and then it took two weeks for the HR info to get organized...the commute to Brooklyn is rough and very crowded, however pretty easy after that. The pay step and salary scale takes some time to process and won't be handled until March.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York City Department of Education

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyside, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Sunnyside, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Expressed interest through the NYC DOE New Teacher Finder. A month or so later I was contacted by the principal to come in for an "Open House" which turned out to be group interviews. The invitation made it seem like it would be more of a meet and greet with staff, so I was surprised when I came in and they were doing quick 5 minute interviews in groups of 2.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education.

Interview

Principle Called me asked to come in for an interview

30 minute Demo
    Writing Sample
    Meeting with Science Department
    1 hour meeting with principle

It was interesting, because it was the last day of school.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with the Assistant Principal first. She asked me some questions about myself and my approach to teaching. After she felt that I would be a good candidate, I was able to meet with the principal. Since the school is a high stress area, the Principal was focused more on the emotional ability to handle students with violent backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in teaching in a Special Needs setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ozone Park, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Ozone Park, NY).

Interview

Hired over 20 years ago by district office and placed in a school. One on one interview. I can't remember any details this was a long time ago. Sent to my school after being hired by the district office.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied in-person, came in to interview with a panel of teachers and various administrators. They asked about teaching style, what your classroom looks like, previous experience, how you engage your students, how you use assessment data, etc. On a later date, was asked to come back to do a 20 minute demo lesson with a full class of students. After the demo lesson, I met with another panel of teachers and administrators to briefly discussed how the lesson went, the strengths, how it could be improved, etc. They asked a few more questions related to school culture, etc. Got a call later in the day to say I got the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you use assessment data to inform your instruction?   Answer Question
    • What is a piece of feedback you received that asked you to improve on something? What was your response?   Answer Question
    • What does your classroom look like?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Interview

The interview process consisted of being contact by the assistant principal in which they will arrange to meet. The follow up would be with the head principal if he his available for interviews that day.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (Brooklyn, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

3 Meetings, thorough background check, forms online. They send you a form you have to fill out to check you out: asks questions about if you have anyone related to you who works in the DOE and if you have ever had an unsatisfactory rating. If you make a typo or make a mistake, there is no way to correct it. There is no one to ask about how to answer the questions. There is no help. Your application could be delayed for months by the office of professional or special investigations. Very unprofessional and discouraging. On top of that, the "investigation" is not really that great. Many bad people get through, somehow.

Interview Questions

• What made you want to be a teacher?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

Required to teach and debrief a demo lesson. Taught to about 12 kids, the principal, and an assistant principal. A teacher later told me they look for things like: Do you look at students? Can you tell which students are struggling? Do you check for understanding? etc. The demo lesson is usually kids handpicked for the occasion so obviously its very different from having 25 kids in the classroom.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you would have done differently?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York City Department of Education (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Lesson plan and presentation to students, one on one interview, group interview. Teachers will have to present a demo lesson that could range from 20 min-1 hr, but 20 minutes is standard. In the summer you'll teach to summer school kids. During the year you may be observed teaching. They may ask for a portfolio of unit and lesson plans and student work from previous years.