New York City Department of Finance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Department of Finance

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for two different internship at NYC DOF. They both first called me and invite me to the interview. First one I had two managers interviewing me, while the second one I had three managers at the interview.

Interview Questions

• They're all behavioral questions like greatest strength/weakness? How do you handle pressure?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Had one round of panel interview. They mostly asked resume-based and behavioral questions. The process took a long time - I submitted online and didn't hear back until five months later. I assume the slow process is typical of public sector jobs.

City Tax Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (New York, NY).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. Usually about 3-4 people and they each ask different questions.

Name one time in school or work where you worked on a project that depended on other members?

If you were assigned to an audit that you know the person on a personal level what would you do?

What did you do at your old job?

Say you were working with a client and you requested documents from the assistant tax manager and you contacted them several times, what would u do to get the documents?

Name one time when you implemented something at work and the results?

Interview Questions

• If you were doing an audit on a client, and they said they only had and income of $50k but yet they live in a duplex, own luxury car, and have a couple of pizzerias, what kind of documents would u ask for to confirm the client’s income?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They had a salary offer, and you either accept or decline.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I initially interviewed with one department in Finance, which went well, and was called back for a final interview with management. Everyone seemed very pleasant and professional, and I would have been grateful for the opportunity to work with them. During this process, I was also interviewed twice over a month for another position in the Executive Operations group. The first department wanted to hire soon, and I was told I was a finalist for the position, so they requested EO move toward a decision as EO's needs superseded the former's.

A third 1:1 interview was then scheduled, consisting of a review of my background and motivation for pursuing these positions and leaving my former, after which I was informed that a decision would be made within a week.

Three weeks later, I checked in twice with the administrative assistant who did not respond. A week after that, I emailed another interviewer, stating that I was grateful for the opportunity to have interviewed, regardless of the outcome, and politely asked to be notified if I did not fit the position. During this time, I had to delay a pending offer from another agency, as either position at DoF would have been more fulfilling, though lower paying. That offer then understandably expired.

I was told that it was taking longer than expected to decide, and that I was still under consideration; official notice wasn't going to be issued yet.

That was two months ago -- a final inquiry was ignored. I assume by now both departments hired others, or the positions were reorganized.

Of course I have no qualms about being declined a position, but I think it's fair to want to be informed of that fact if you've at least made it to an interview.

Proceed at your own risk in applying, particularly if you receive an offer from another firm in the meantime.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview process was very lengthy, it took 3 interviews and over 5 months to go through it. There is an extensive background search.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, but know why you want to work for Finance. The Chairman is a stickler for meeting all management hires.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not difficult, but in the end they used me for the initial phase of the project and dropped me when the implementation phase was finished. At the management level this is not a job to have until you retire.

Computer Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

Interviews must be done using a board style. Questions are established and approved ahead of time and used consistently throughout all the interviews for the same position in order to ensure fairness.

Interview Questions

• They can ask you "test" questions for technical positions   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, they offer you a 13% max raise on your previous earnings.

Staff Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance in October 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by the person who would be interviewer's immediate supervisor. The interview was conducted by the immediate supervisor and another person.The interview started off with them asking me to introduce myself and talk about my previous work experiences. I also presented the interviewer with a sample of my previous work which they liked.Overall my experience of the in person interview was a positive one. Other questions consisted of my future plans and my studies. I was asked to provide references at the end of the interview. I was notified after about 3 week's of my interview that I was not hired.There was only one in-person interview.Overall the experience was a positive one.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Finance in May 2014.

Interview

Was asked a series of behavior questions such as: how did you overcome your biggest challenge at work? What part of your past internship experience that you liked the most? Overall, they were specific about the qualities and skills they were looking for so as an interviewee you should think about what value you could add to the team.

Interview Questions

• If you were given a project to accomplish within three days what would you do?   Answer Question