New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene Research Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (Long Island City, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The first interview was with the HR person, followed by a panel phone interview. It was a bit disconcerting to be interviewed by three people over the phone as there were pauses when they were conferring, deciding who was going to ask the next question, etc. The phone interview was followed by another panel interview but this time it was in person. When I got to the floor where the interview was to be held, there was no one there to let me in and I had to wait for a person to walk by who kindly swiped me in with her card. I found the appropriate room and waited alone until the interviewers arrived. It was not a very welcome environment, For the most part, the questions were what I had expected to get and on-target for the position. I was a bit surprised to be asked what I did right after college since that was 25 years ago.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my experience in creating multi-stakeholder task forces.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (New York, NY) in March 2011.

Interview

I was coming from an unusual background, yet I felt that I addressed how I would be a great fit for the position in my application package. Still the phone interview mainly went over the stated requirements for the position and how I met (or did not in my case) those requirements. It was rather difficult to steer the conversation into how my skills can allow me to contribute and be successful.
    To give an example, the question would be stated as, "Have you spent one year at job using Excel for economic modeling?"
    My answer would be, "No, but I have a built and published a comprehensive economic model for my graduate thesis work!".
    "That is great, but you have you spent one year at job using Excel?"
    As a result, I was on the defensive through the whole interview (about an hour) and I did not feel I came across well.

Interview Questions

• Do you have the specific number of years working in this function?   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.

Interview

I applied for three research positions (in three different departments). The interview process depends on the department you are applying to, some departments are more organized and efficient than others. After applying online, I was contacted within two weeks of applying. For two of the positions, I had a phone interview first and then a one-on-one interview. After that, I was called in for a panel interview. The other position was just one panel interview. For one of the positions, I received timely notice of job status after applying/interviewing (whole process took 4 weeks). For another position, the interviewer (hiring manager and person I would report to), showed up 30 mins late, seemed uncertain about whether and how the position would be filled, and kept requiring me to submit work samples. The correspondence was horrible too - it took forever to get a reply to my questions/updates. When I finally got a reply, I told was they wanted me to come in for a panel interview. After I sent my availability, I never heard back so I stopped corresponding at that point - it was too disorganized for me (this process took 3 months). The last position I applied for, after the panel interview, I had to follow-up with them regarding my application status since I never heard from them after the panel interview. It was a typical interview - describe your experience, which they'll ask you questions about.

Interview Questions

• Can you submit samples of your work? What was the hardest task you worked on?   Answer Question