New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Interview Questions

Interviews at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation

2.5

Temporary Employee Interview

Interview

Panel interview with various rec center managers. They were all friendly except one. Interview was pretty standard. I was asked to talk about myself and behavioral interview questions mostly. I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions

Interview

Quick and painless, I was able to sit down and explain my background and did not feel pressured to impress or boast. The entire interview process from start to finish was ideal.

Career Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

I wrote this review the same day as my interview but waited a few weeks before posting it.

I met with 3 staff members from the Workforce Development Team, so it was a panel interview format. The interview started a little over 20 mins after the agreed upon time. I’m assuming it is because they were running behind from earlier interviews. This resulted in my interview being rushed through.

Halfway through the interview the Chief of Workforce Development (I won’t include her name but you can do a quick LinkedIn or google search) mentally checked out and started texting on her phone while still at the interview table. It was completely mind boggling to see an individual’s whose job is to teach job readiness skills to trainees throw interview etiquette out of the window. After answering a couple of my questions, the interview was abruptly cut short.

I should mention that the other 2 interviewers were professional and engaged in the conversation.

I don’t know if the reason for my experience was because the interviewers were beginning to get burned out from having been interviewing all day, but this was definitely one of the strangest interviews I’ve been on in my career.

It has been a couple of weeks since the interview and I haven't heard anything back so I'm assuming I was not chosen to move forward with the next step in the application process.

Interview Questions

• What is your approach when working with an unmotivated participant?   Answer Question
    • What methods do you utilized to remain organized?   Answer Question

Forester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Interview

The interview was rescheduled 4 times over the course of two months. I had no idea that I would interviewing in front of a panel of about 6 interviewers who were all hiring Foresters. Each of the interviewers was hiring a Forester, but it was obvious that each of them was looking for someone with slightly different skills. I found it very challenging to answer the questions because none of them explained exactly what the jobs I was applying for were. One of the interviewers insulted me, and it threw me off and affected the remainder of the interview. It was a good learning experience because from now on I will ask for very specific details regarding the style of interview I am walking into.

Interview Questions

• What tools do you use to make sure you have your work completed on schedule?   Answer Question
    • Are you familiar with specific insects and their diseases?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience with budgets?   Answer Question

Assistant Records Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in December 2018.

Interview

A structured panel interview with three people asking you a set of nine questions (that they ask everyone else). The interview was awkward and so were the questions asked. It did not give a sense of natural flowing conversation. It was boring and it gave off the vibe that the interviewers need to work on their communication skills- all they did was read the questions off a paper and wait for you to answer. If I knew it was a Q&A like that I might as well have wrote down my answers for them, it was a waste of time.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation.

Interview

No formal process or acceptance offer in writing, just an in-person behavioral interview asking about what you're doing in school, what you're working on, and what you hope to do during the internship. The internship coordinator also explained some of the projects the team is working on and what other interns have come up with in the past.

Deputy Center Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY).

Interview

Panel style interview that centered around past experience and management experience. The interview was at least an hour because of the panel. There are questions that they ask to ensure that you qualify for the particular role but they aren't difficult if you do in fact qualify!

Recreation Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

It’ took like 8 months for the entire process and I wasn’t sure if I was actually gonna get the job or not . But after all the waiting I am almost closing in on the job

Interview Questions

• They asked me how am I prepared to take on this tool and if I have ever worked with children . But I had the experiences so it wasn’t that bad   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied through the Parks and Recreation site by emailing in my resume and cover letter. It was in June so they were doing the last set of interviews for the summer internship. I was emailed to schedule an interview a couple of days after I submitted my application. I was interviewed by 3 people, one being the department direction. They asked a series of question like what is my major? They asked about my experience in previous jobs and volunteer experience. I thought I did well in the interview. On my way out, I saw another person waiting. I had a bad experience since when they replied back via email, they basically said their department didn't need an intern for the summer anymore. It was basically a waste of time.

Resident Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was not difficult but very thorough. You get your regular background questions about your previous work experience and some drawing reading involved. People were nice and forthcoming.