New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Department of Parks and Recreation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2017

2.3

Junior Landscape Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flushing, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (Flushing, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview was with a panel of Landscape Architects that work for the NYC Parks department. After receiving a short tour of the building by an associate, I entered a conference room. Then, the panel described the overall structure of the department, asked me a series of questions which were answered both with my portfolio and verbal response, and gave me an opportunity to ask questions. The interview was approximately 30 minutes long and did not feel rushed.

Interview Questions

• In what capacity have you worked with a team?   Answer Question
    • What kind of experience do you have working on construction documents?   Answer Question
    • Do you have a driver's license? (Actual question, but I may not impact the decision-making process.)   Answer Question

Parks Enforcement Interview

Interview

It was a very laid back interview. Asked about your experience and why do you want to get in the law enforcement field. There was also drug and psych exam. Overall the interview was not too difficult and it was a great experience. Just try to be yourself. They are looking for good moral and good work ethics workers.

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

9 questions they asked all candidates. All were technical questions about the job or about the history of the department. Interviews were 30 minutes long with a panel of three people. Didn't ask me the standard interview questions like strengths and weaknesses or 5 year plan.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with designing green infrastructure?   Answer Question

Urban Park Ranger Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY).

Interview

Arrive early because the building and department is not the most straightforward place to find. They were doing multiple interviews that day and was running about a half hour. Two individuals interviewed me for the position. They started with details about the job position and then took turns asking interview questions. Both interviewers were very kind and patient with the interview process. The interview lasts 30-45 minutes depending on how many questions you have for them. I had a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you worked with customer service.   1 Answer

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

It was not that hard, pretty much went through job specifics and how does it match with your past experience. Be prepared to talk about your skills and how it matches with the bulletin points on the posting

Parks Enforcement Patrol (PEP) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Had to sign in then waited. After waiting a while I was given almost 50 pages of stuff to fill out which took a while. After finishing I once again waited until I was called in for the interview which consisted of two Sgt.'s and myself.

Interview Questions

• Why am I applying for this position?   1 Answer
    • Where do I see myself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Gave different scenarios and wanted to know how I would respond and handle it   Answer Question

Planning and Development Interview

Application

Interview

Was very relaxed. Depending on the location, the Central Park location interview will take place at the Arsenal. It was a great setting to have a formal interview. Overall, employees here are very friendly and don't intend on intimidating you during the interview.

Interview Questions

• What books are you reading right now?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you felt that you needed to take initiative in something critical.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The interview was almost on time, almost 30 min late. I get there and who "hosted" me was the other candidate (with a scheduled time before mine), and I did the same with the one after mine.
    The interview was terrible, 3 people asking pre written and unbased questions, mostly hr ones. One of the interviwees I can bet that he slept for a couple of minutes. Additionally, seems that they were doing that just to have some paperwork. All of them very not interested at all, and mostly not even heard my answers. Totaly a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a contractor refuse to follow your intructions?   Answer Question

JTP Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Group orientation with everyone that have got accepted . Showings of videos containing everything that has to do with a job . A quiz to let the speaker know that you was paying attention and can get the job done, one on one , fingerprints and background check. Wait for background check to come back got another second orientation , training and then started the job .

Interview Questions

• Why do i think they should hire me ?   1 Answer

Forester II Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Department of Parks and Recreation (New York, NY).

Interview

There was a panel of about 5 supervisors from the various forestry offices of NYC. They asked several general interview questions and a few specific forestry questions. I noticed that other interviewees were dressed quite casually but I suggest dressing up for the interview. Allow plenty of time to find the location of the interview, they often take place within parks where addresses are not available on search engines.