New York City Office of Management and Budget Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York City Office of Management and Budget Interview Questions

Updated Jan 27, 2017

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Office of Management and Budget

Assistant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget in November 2016.

Interview

They contacted me after a week or so, after applying through my campus job portal. Asked for a short writing sample and asked me filled out a short diversity application. The interview itself was relaxed asked standard behavioral questions but, it was mostly me asking the interviewer questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY).

Interview

Had an in person interview with the Economic Development Task Force. I was interviewed by the head of the task force and a current analyst. The interview was fairly standard, most of the questions were behavioral, but they asked a couple of questions about my excel experience.

Interview Questions

• What process would you use to find a mistake in a large Excel Sheet?
      What do you know about OMB and this task force?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

How the interview goes, depends on the unit you apply to. The interview is two rounds (multiple days). On the first round, I got interviewed by two people (separately). One was with the Unit Head, and the other with a deputy director. The questions were basic, such as why you're interested with this unit?, what do you know about the unit and OMB?, past experiences, etc. The second person, asked more detailed questions about your past work experiences, and if you're a recent graduate, what types of courses you took (be ready to go into detail).

I didn't make it to the second round, where you would then interview with a director.

One tip would be to have questions about the position and unit that you could ask them. That is one thing they kept asking, and could have been helpful.

I also felt as though, they were looking for someone to work in the long term

Budget Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget.

Interview

The interview was pretty standard with no unexpected questions. The process was two rounds. The first round was questions about resume, experience, and why OMB. The second round was meant to familiarize the entire task force with me.

Interview Questions

• Asked about details on resume and wanted to know why I was interested in OMB   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY).

Interview

Slow interview process, didn't reply to the email inquiries. I heard back from them after 3 months that I have not been selected. Interviewed by couple of different units. I would recommend applying this place as it is one of the most prestigious city government agencies and working here can give you a good start professionally.

Interview Questions

• General basic questions asking about previous work experience and mainly why I want to be part of OMB.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Thorough, mostly behavioral questions, with one brief analytical "case study." Many questions based on fit and personality. Very clear about expectations in the position. Met with entire team plus higher-ups in the department. Answered questions from interviewer very thoroughly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Met with two individuals separately. The whole interview took about an hour. A lot of scenario-based questions. Got the sense they were looking for someone who would spend several years in that position.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an employee who had questions/concerns about their payroll?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

There are three rounds of interviews, one with the unit head, and then two separate interviews with senior management. Many of the questions are the same in all three interviews, with perhaps more detail orientated questions being asked in the first of the three. Once you make it to the final round interview, this seemed to consist of very high level questions in order to determine if your interests and personality align with the position and team.

Interview Questions

• Many questions centered around conflict resolution and working in high pressure situations when you often must say no to what an agency wants if it is not justified.   Answer Question

Assistant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget in July 2015.

Interview

Sat through 3 interviews in one day; the first with a senior analyst, the second with an assistant analyst, and the third with their supervising analyst. Most questions were behavioral--most were geared towards assessing how you handle conflict and the pressure of deadlines. It's also a good idea to be able to explain what's on your resume.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the public sector?
      Describe a situation in which you encountered a conflict with people you worked with and how you resolved it.
      What are some functions you've worked with in Microsoft Excel?
      Answer Question

Associate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York City Office of Management and Budget (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews with two different levels of management. Second interview was more difficult. Interviewers were very friendly, and quizzed me about knowledge relevant to my unit in a conversational style. No "gotcha" questions. Showed a lot of interest in why I was interested in working at OMB.