New York City Office of the Comptroller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2017

2.9

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York City Office of the Comptroller

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got an interview 2 weeks later. Interviewed in 3 departments in which two departments had little to do with my major. Had to call them a month later to ask them whether or not I will be getting an offer.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller.

Interview

I applied online and it took approx. 3 weeks to receive the interview invitation. Arrive at least 30 minutes early because lots of students will interview for this job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY).

Interview

First submitted an application early in late February, interview in April, results in May. The interview was set up like a job fair, several tables out with different bureaus interviewing all at the same time. Applicants get 3 interviews with different departments, and each interview is independent of each other, meaning one interview does not affect the other. They try to keep it low stress but the format and amount of people prevent that from actually happening. In the end they select around 45-50 summer interns out of an annual pile of 2000+ applicants.

Interview Questions

• Many mixed type of questions, but they want to know more about you as a candidate as well as know how you think. More quantitative bureaus like asset management and audit ask more specific subject matter questions. Best to prepare, you are going up against some of the best applicants in the area/nation.   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Submitted an application online and heard back exactly a month later. I went to the interview the next week, and was only asked about my opinions on policy issues (not so much about experience, save one question about statistical mapping). I was asked if I would still be interested and then invited to submit a policy brief/proposal for a big picture idea. Followed up with them about a week later to ask about timeline, as I had a couple of other offers, and received a really nice email letting me know that they were "taking the position in a different direction."

The people here are super cool, but the hiring process seems a little drawn out.

Interview Questions

• Presented policy scenario and asked how I would advise SS.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Friendly environment with 200 people giving the interviews for 12 bureaus of the organization.
    All the recruiters are friendly and comforting.
    Everyone is asked to come in business attire.
    Easy selection based on confidence.

Staff Auditor Interview

Interview

Applied online through both my school's career website and the Comptroller's career section. Received a phone call about 3 weeks later. Scheduled the interview the following week. I was interviewed by two senior auditors for about an hour, followed by an hour written test based off an audit scenario. Overall, the experience was pleasant. I received an offer less than two weeks later and gladly accepted.

Audit Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller.

Interview

There was only one round of interviews for this position and it was held in a large room filled with tables representing all the different bureaus that internships were being offered in. It reminded me almost of a job fair you might find at your college. When I first arrived I had to check in at the desk near the door and was told to choose three departments that I would like to interview for. Then I sat down with the other candidates scheduled for that day and waited for one of the department tables to open up. Keep in mind that there are multiple bureaus that do completely different jobs and each one has sub-departments (Ex. Financial Audit or Managerial Audit) so you should really go on their website and have a good idea as to what it is you're looking to do there otherwise you might interview for a department that you don't even want to work for.

All the interviewers were very laid back and the interviews were pretty much a casual conversation in which I would talk about myself and my past experiences, both in the field as well as other things like school activities an so on. Most of the interviewers asked why I was interested in working for their specific department or for the Comptroller in general and then some would explain why they enjoyed working their and what some of the pros were that are uncommon in the private industry.

I would recommend bringing at least three copies of your resume because most departments have two interviewers and they usually both want to look at it and write down your information while they're speaking with you. When you first arrive you're going to see a lot of candidates because they only schedule two days for interviews but keep in mind there are a lot of different departments offering internships in many different fields, so as long as you're friendly and have something interesting to talk about you should be fine. Also, each department is independent from the others so if you mess up with one of them it won't be held against you for the other interviews.

Interview Questions

• Like I said before, know which department you want to work for before you get there. When I interviewed I chose the two different audit departments that I was interested in and then a third department in the Asset Management Bureau. The third department was responsible for something that I knew nothing about and it definitely showed when I was speaking to them. The only reason I even interviewed with them was because I didn't know ahead of time that each bureau had sub-departments with pretty specific jobs. They asked me why I was interesting in working for them and why I was more qualified than the other students with economics and finance majors, including some who were Ivy League students? I couldn't answer it because I didn't even know what it was that they were responsible for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiating. They offer a set hourly rate based on your year in college.

Staff Auditor Interview

Interview

Took a writing test first first (30 minutes) and then had the interview with two interviewers (30+ minutes)
    Writing Test: Write an auditing report on a case
    Interview: Behavior Questions and Scenarios Analysis

Interview Questions

• Very detailed questions about what to do on a specific auditing scenario   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York City Office of the Comptroller (New York, NY) in May 2013.

Interview

Three interviews with 20-30 minutes each with three bureaus. Basically first questions were always tell me about yourself or go through your resume. Bureau of Audit ask me how well I can operate ACL to do risk assessment. Bureau of Asset Management asked me about teamwork, and leadership.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online through my school, sent them my resume. Basic stuff. Eventually heard back and had an interview day. Had 3 separate interviews with various department heads. Eventually got a phone call with the offer a few weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about yourself not on your resume.   1 Answer