New York Life Actuarial Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Actuarial Intern Interview Questions

2.9

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Phone interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a book you read lately and how it changed the way you view the world   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in January 2014.

Interview

Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 2 weeks. The interview is warm and professional. All typical behavioral questions. I'm kinda nervous and probably won't get to the on-site.

Interview Questions

• 1. Share a leadership experience.
      2. Share an experience to use computer programming skills.
      Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in November 2013.

Interview

Applied online, scheduled phone interview in about 3-4 weeks. Normal behavior questions no surprise. Got the rejection letter before thanksgiving break.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Phone interview mid-October. About 30min long, mostly questions about resume. The interviewer also gave some more detailed information about the internship program.

Then about 2 weeks later, I was invited to an on-site interview. I met with 5 actuaries, each for 30 minutes and then went out for lunch with two actuarial students. Still, mostly behavioral questions, and to learn about my past research/work experience. Each interviewer also gave me some time to ask them questions at the end of the 30min period.

Interview Questions

• Describe an occasion that you had to persuade a group of people to do things a certain way.   Answer Question
    • What is a criticism you received from other people? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • How would you explain to someone on the street what a life insurance is? Why should they buy life insurance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Phone interview in early October, did not hear back for a while and then was called for an on-site interview set for mid-November. Then took a little over a month to hear back that I was offered the position, for their Westchester campus with 3 other interns north of Manhattan instead of the New York Life Building where the other 10 interns were assigned.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult question you've had to answer today in your interviews, and why?   Answer Question
    • If a pandemic were to arise and much of the population across the nation died from it as a result, what would you expect to happen to our company's sales and what would happen to our profit?   Answer Question

I simply did not like New York as much as I thought I would, and had a comparable offer from a consulting firm in a more comfortable and familiar area, although still a major city. It came down to consulting vs. insurance companies, what route I wanted to go in the future and what setting I was more comfortable in, and although NYL offered more specifically the work I was interested in, in the end I couldn't see myself working up there very long and knew I would want to move back. If you are from the northeast area and love it already, I can't think of a reason for you not to accept an offer they give you. It is without doubt a great company to work for, and I have heard nothing but good things from people that have worked there before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

It took only about 3 days for the company to contact me for phone interview after I submit the online application.There is a specific employee who sent me email and kept in touch with me to set the time of interview and answer my question afterwards.The interview is around 20 minutes,and mostly is behavioral questions and asking about stuff on resume.It is pretty general,but I did not do good as I am too nervous.So,piece of advice,stay calm even if you are asked with unexpected questions!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you need to make decision while you have no information about it.   1 Answer

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview

it's good. I am not sure whether i will get the onsite interview. Right now i am waiting for their responses. it's hard to wait. I am an international student. Right now it's so hard for me to find a actuarial summer internship position, since I am an F1 visia. just wait.

Interview Questions

• give me an example to show you have analytially minds.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got an email about a week later to schedule an interview. Then interview went on for about half an hour. No technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen that lasted approximately 30 minutes. A few weeks later, I got an email to schedule a second interview at their Manhattan headquarters. I went in for the interview, and they had five people lined up to interview me for 30 minutes each. Then I went to lunch with two actuarial students, and that ended the second round of interviews. I would say it was a great experience overall. The interviews weren't as stressful as I thought it would be. I had great conversations with all of them, and I would say I really liked the culture and the people who worked there. A few days later, I got an offer.

Actuary Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest project on excel?
      Give an example of when you were a leader.
      Answer Question