New York Life Actuarial Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Actuarial Intern Interview Questions

2.9

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

First phone interview was basic and lasted about 30 minutes. No difficult questions, mainly behavioral. Second phone interview was more technical and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you showed leadership skills and failed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I had a 30 minute phone interview with an actuarial student. Lots of behavioral questions. I thought there were some difficult ones. The first question was "Describe a project that you have completed in excel". Another question was "Describe a time when you made a popular decision that you knew was wrong". I stumbled a lot over that one, and to this day can't think of a relevant experience that fits this description from my life.

Interview Questions

• How many gas stations are there in the United States? Talk me through the steps you would go through to estimate this.   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied via campus recruiting. Their communication was efficient and quick. Interviewing process went smoothly. For the most part, they asked behavior questions with very minor technical aspects. For the interview itself, definitely read through and understand the various products that NYL offers.

The interviewing team was very cordial. Most of the interviews were one-on-one. However, there is also a portion of the interview where they take the candidate to lunch.

Interview Questions

• Describe the products that NYL offers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Interview

I only got to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and professional. For the first part you are totally in control, as they ask you to "tell me about yourself" and you should prepare good things to say. Then he asks typical interview questions, with emphasis on insurance related topics. Then you ask questions, so make sure to prepare some good questions to ask as well.

Interview Questions

• Something to the effect of - What natural or political occurrence could jeopardize a life insurance company's solvency?   Answer Question

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Received an email to schedule a phone interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Basic Behavioral Questions followed by tell me about an excel project you have done.

Interview Questions

• What are some things that could put an insurance company out of business   1 Answer

Actuary Intern Interview

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a few days later for phone interview in Jan 2014. Interview was basically a resume walkthrough with very minimal behavior questions. Received notification 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest project on excel?
      Give an example of when you were a leader.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen that lasted approximately 30 minutes. A few weeks later, I got an email to schedule a second interview at their Manhattan headquarters. I went in for the interview, and they had five people lined up to interview me for 30 minutes each. Then I went to lunch with two actuarial students, and that ended the second round of interviews. I would say it was a great experience overall. The interviews weren't as stressful as I thought it would be. I had great conversations with all of them, and I would say I really liked the culture and the people who worked there. A few days later, I got an offer.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview

Applied online and got an email about a week later to schedule an interview. Then interview went on for about half an hour. No technical questions.

Actuarial Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life in February 2010.

Interview

it's good. I am not sure whether i will get the onsite interview. Right now i am waiting for their responses. it's hard to wait. I am an international student. Right now it's so hard for me to find a actuarial summer internship position, since I am an F1 visia. just wait.

Interview Questions

• give me an example to show you have analytially minds.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

It took only about 3 days for the company to contact me for phone interview after I submit the online application.There is a specific employee who sent me email and kept in touch with me to set the time of interview and answer my question afterwards.The interview is around 20 minutes,and mostly is behavioral questions and asking about stuff on resume.It is pretty general,but I did not do good as I am too nervous.So,piece of advice,stay calm even if you are asked with unexpected questions!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you need to make decision while you have no information about it.   1 Answer