New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

2.3

82 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by email by a company recruiter. I arrived at the office and I had to register by filling out a questionnaire in the lobby's iPads. I was then greeted by the recruiter (Partner), and I was then brought to a computer lab where I had to fill out another questionnaire. There were mostly behavioral and demographic questions. Many of the questions were about my previous income, current one, and future expectations.

Interview Questions

• There were no interview questions. I handed her my resume and she asked a little bit about what was in my resume. However, she did give me information about the position, the company, and what to expect about the job. She answered all my questions professionally and realistically. She said there's a base salary for agents.

The same day of the interview she sent me an email with two links, one to complete a "resume background," this for the background check, and the other is to schedule an appointment for my finger prints. I have another interview tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take this job.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life in May 2017.

Interview

First Interview was a meeting with the head branch hiring manager to see if you are qualified to move forward in the process. You are given a personality exam to see if you score in their ranger as a qualified applicant.

Interview Questions

• Basic general questions getting to know me and my background to see if I am a good fit.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had two interviews with the same partner. First was all about asking about myself. Second was about the organization and the products available. Third is about the compensation structure. Interviewer was incredibly passionate. Overall it was a great experience.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Honolulu, HI) in January 2017.

Interview

No process, they will pretty much hire anyone who can speak.
    Threre is very little selection and they just want to make sure you will do it full time and not on the side.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL).

Interview

3 step program , interview then back ground check, then offer and pay scale if you are Tas Agent
    on every commission dollar you bring they give you % ...

Anonymous Employee in Shreveport, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Shreveport, LA).

Interview

You are called in, and you are supposed to give 3 references on the spot (I don't think they called any of mine). You are educated on the history of NYL etc. and some of the details of the job. Second interview is explaining the compensation, and third is the contract (this is where you sign).

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL).

Interview

Long, it can take months before you see a dollar. The commissions are enhanced the first year but you can't receive until you reach a minimum commission amount. There are no leads given and many of the applications are denied so it can be frustrating living without income for a while. Many products you can't sell until you become registered so it limits you in your approach. They also post your progress as well as other agents progress on line in a competitive manner which entices people to write contracts that may not go through or lead to commission.

Interview Questions

• Criminal history, credit, outside business.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Stratford, CT) in July 2016.

Interview

was very quick which made it seem like they would hire anyone with a heartbeat since there is no base salary. No academic based questions, just trying to figure out who you are.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Very professional, asked some typical interview questions in order to know more about you. It feels like they would hire anyone who apply. The overall mood of the interview was very laid back, the recruiter was very friendly and quick to give information.