New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2017

2.3

94 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Hiring manager spent some time explaining the career path for a NYL Agent, how commission structure works, and describing the type of role the NYL Agent holds in the company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in November 2017.

Interview

The first interview was more of a presentation about the company with only one question about myself in the hour long meeting. I was scheduled for a second interview, but declined after being hired for a different job. At that time, the recruiter began to insult my former job choices, and gave me unsolicited advice about what I needed to do to increase my personal status in life. I was quite offended. Recruiter also had very poor grammar which I found to be very unprofessional.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was tough interview process. I went through 4 interviews before I was hired. The first one is them checking to see if you fit, the second is them selling themselves to you, the third is them explaining what they expect from you, and the fourth is to bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in selling life insurance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Great process, interesting questions, and assignments to find your motivation and career objectives. They also evaluate your ability to sell and close your potential clients and your prospecting skills and motivation to be self-driven and go above your means.

Interview Questions

• Questions about your background, previous job relevant experience with people and selling. Also questions about your objectives, life goals and things closest to your heart.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Norfolk, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

The first interview was simply to get to know me. The agent who conducted the interview was very nice and straightforward about what I would need to do in the job. New York Life very obviously wants to hire you if you will put in the hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals in your current job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Charlotte, AR) in August 2017.

Interview

First interview was great, they just try to get to know you to see if your personality and motives would be a good fit for the position. They'll also tell you a little bit of prelim info about what the job entails and will ask some questions.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very easy. It consisted of three different interviews with the same hiring manager. The first one was very "laid back", more of a get to know each other type of interview. The next two interviews were more of what you would expect from a job interview about work experience, what you can bring, etc. After each interview, I was asked to do a little work (like homework) between the interviews. This involved reading or reaching out to friends over the phone for a survey. When the interviews concluded there is one more step before being hired. You must take a 20hr (didn't take me that long) course and pass a state license exam to sell insurance.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life in May 2017.

Interview

First Interview was a meeting with the head branch hiring manager to see if you are qualified to move forward in the process. You are given a personality exam to see if you score in their ranger as a qualified applicant.

Interview Questions

• Basic general questions getting to know me and my background to see if I am a good fit.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by email by a company recruiter. I arrived at the office and I had to register by filling out a questionnaire in the lobby's iPads. I was then greeted by the recruiter (Partner), and I was then brought to a computer lab where I had to fill out another questionnaire. There were mostly behavioral and demographic questions. Many of the questions were about my previous income, current one, and future expectations.

Interview Questions

• There were no interview questions. I handed her my resume and she asked a little bit about what was in my resume. However, she did give me information about the position, the company, and what to expect about the job. She answered all my questions professionally and realistically. She said there's a base salary for agents.

The same day of the interview she sent me an email with two links, one to complete a "resume background," this for the background check, and the other is to schedule an appointment for my finger prints. I have another interview tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take this job.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (New Brunswick, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was long. An initial Phone screen, and than three following in person interviews. last one was with a group. the phone screen and first two in person interviews were with a partner. than the last group interview was with the managing partner, like a presentation.