New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2018

2.3

98 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Three primary steps. FIrst is meeting the managing partner, then you are invited to a weekly/ bi weekly presentation about the company, compensation and how to earn money.

To be honest, when I came for the second meeting which was the presentation, the managing partner did not even remember who I was and believed thought I was there for the first interview with him. That was kind of disappointing because I thought we had a solid connection and talked consistently through email.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    Describe your personality traits.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

They have like 4 interviews/meetings while making you do an assignment that makes it seem like the job is actually doable but once you start the job is all commission based and they give you no leads and basically no actual support

Interview Questions

• Explain to me your past work experience   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Hiring manager spent some time explaining the career path for a NYL Agent, how commission structure works, and describing the type of role the NYL Agent holds in the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in November 2017.

Interview

The first interview was more of a presentation about the company with only one question about myself in the hour long meeting. I was scheduled for a second interview, but declined after being hired for a different job. At that time, the recruiter began to insult my former job choices, and gave me unsolicited advice about what I needed to do to increase my personal status in life. I was quite offended. Recruiter also had very poor grammar which I found to be very unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

There were multiple steps during the process. First you meet with a recruiter about twice. They tell you the ways you can move up in the company, mentoring, etc. It was a lot of information to take in so then they set up a group meeting called the "compensation package" where they explain things into more depth however you don't do much talking. After the presentation is over they ask that you speak to your recruiter within the next weeks if you are still interested. I met with my recruiter where he asked if I had any further questions. It was a lengthy process because I was not eager to start as I was still in school.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit to selling financial assistance?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was tough interview process. I went through 4 interviews before I was hired. The first one is them checking to see if you fit, the second is them selling themselves to you, the third is them explaining what they expect from you, and the fourth is to bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in selling life insurance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Great process, interesting questions, and assignments to find your motivation and career objectives. They also evaluate your ability to sell and close your potential clients and your prospecting skills and motivation to be self-driven and go above your means.

Interview Questions

• Questions about your background, previous job relevant experience with people and selling. Also questions about your objectives, life goals and things closest to your heart.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Norfolk, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

The first interview was simply to get to know me. The agent who conducted the interview was very nice and straightforward about what I would need to do in the job. New York Life very obviously wants to hire you if you will put in the hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals in your current job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Charlotte, AR) in August 2017.

Interview

First interview was great, they just try to get to know you to see if your personality and motives would be a good fit for the position. They'll also tell you a little bit of prelim info about what the job entails and will ask some questions.

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very easy. It consisted of three different interviews with the same hiring manager. The first one was very "laid back", more of a get to know each other type of interview. The next two interviews were more of what you would expect from a job interview about work experience, what you can bring, etc. After each interview, I was asked to do a little work (like homework) between the interviews. This involved reading or reaching out to friends over the phone for a survey. When the interviews concluded there is one more step before being hired. You must take a 20hr (didn't take me that long) course and pass a state license exam to sell insurance.