New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

2.3

83 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

It's a long and intense interview process depending on the office size and location. I personally had to go through three different interviews with three different partners, it can be very hectic and crazy.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress? Give me an example   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

The hiring process was lengthy and was broken into three parts. Each part was done on a different day. At the end of the interview process you get part time contracted. You have 6 months to hit certain goals before you are a full time hire.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied through school. Several interviews before getting job offer. Driven but friendly environment.

Interview Questions

• What are three characteristics you have that make you good for this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Edina, MN) in August 2013.

Interview

4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Columbia, SC) in September 2012.

Interview

3 interviews: Introduction, Compensation, Contract

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, pay is commission +bonus

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA) in July 2012.

Interview

The interview took about 4 visits but I was determined to get tired anywhere

Interview Questions

• The agonizing long hours put into the interview can be annoying   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you would like to strive to make 6 figures, then be patience with the interviews

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Little Rock, AR) in March 2017.

Interview

There were three interviews with the managing partner. The first interview was mostly a review of your own personal abilities to gauge if you are competent enough to responsibly represent New York Life. Easy. The second interview was an introduction and thorough explanation of the job life of an agent. The second interview included an introduction of the products that you would be selling. At the third interview, my wife was invited to attend. This interview was intended to create buy-in for myself and my wife. The reason for this interview is because the pay is 100% commission based. If you are the sole income for your family, your paycheck will likely not be regular in the first 3-5 years.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel about meeting new people and asking them to take time out of their day to talk to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Norfolk, VA) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview process is intense and long. I was driving approximately 30 miles one-way for the interview and there were FOUR INTERVIEWS before the offer was made. Additionally, they were extremely terrible at setting expectations for pay.

Interview Questions

• Do you understand the pay structure?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL).

Interview

3 step program , interview then back ground check, then offer and pay scale if you are Tas Agent
    on every commission dollar you bring they give you % ...