New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted while still working at a full time job. The managing partner interviewed with me a couple times and allowed me to work part time at NYL while staying at my other job to get a feel for whether or not I liked it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Interview was lengthily, expect four to six. Process is very easy going and relaxed and you will meet several managers. In the event you do get hired, you will not get paid until you hit a certain number to become an active employee.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were not difficult. The main focus is to see your social skills, because it is a sales job and also to see how large your natural market would be.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, paid solely on commissions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Meet with hiring manager and then several existing staff members. Routine questions, nothing specific. Mostly the process was describing the company and the possible outcomes for a successful agent. Given material to read and think about prior to a second interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Independence, OH).

Interview

Met at a university job fair, they quickly called for an interview, it went very smooth, second interview my recruiter asked me to lay out a business plan for my agency. Then I got hired, the turnover in the insurance industry is huge so they will hire most people if you show promise

Interview Questions

• Create a vision of your company, selling NYL products how would you structure your agency   1 Answer

Negotiation

very simple. they laid out the guidlines and contract.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

They sell you the job...BEWARE they make it seem easy it is a sales job with NO salary and they bank on you singing up friends and family then they stop helping you. The only time they show some sort of a realistic view of the job is when you go to the informational presentation by the head of the office, and he makes commissions off of you. There is no true care for the sales agents/advisors, and expect you to hit numbers without ANY help, that is after they get your family to buy LIFE INSURANCE.. remember, they will tell you that you are a financial advisor, but just remember, you are an insurance agent that is all you basically sell, especially in your first year. If you have a family,and have bill to pay, RUN. If you are a recent college graduate, give it a shot. If you have a pulse, they will offer you the job..

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews, one was a group interview. I had to take an aptitude profile, submit to a background check, submit fingerprints, have my credit checked. All interviews were with hiring manager at all times. Ultimately the hire was finalized after a trial period.

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Schaumburg, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Solid interview. Went for two meetings and after the second meeting I gathered all the information I needed in deciding that this was not a job for me. I was expected to work when I am away from work. Your free time and weekends are spent generating leads and socializing with clubs and local events.

Interview Questions

You generate your own business under the New York life name. No base pay strictly commission

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Interview

There was really not much to my interview. A friend of a friend is an agent and he contacted a partner who setup the interview. I met with a partner and a training manager. The interview really consisted of them trying to convince me to give the position a shot. They were clear up front about the nature of the job and explained the comp structure, which is 100% commission based.

Negotiation

n/a