New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a friend in the company whose partner was hiring. 5 step process. Felt very good about the process, however I felt they put too much emphasis on the potential for income and not enough emphasis on what the job actually entailed.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard personality questions nothing very technical.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no room for negotiation and no compensation until you prove yourself a valuable employee

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

There are 3 interviews: the first is a group setting to discuss what we're looking for in a career, an individual interview, and then an interview with you and your spouse to see one of the presentations used with clients.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It is commission only, so there was no negotiation. There is a training allowance bonus pay during the first 3 years (which reduces each year) but there are production minimums in order to qualify for it.

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

3-4 meetings with different parts of management over 3-4 weeks. Mostly throw flashy numbers at you to entice you. They want you to work for them because you can never have too many agents for an insurance company. They explain how you will be paid, and the step by step process for the first year and where you should be by the end of it.

Interview Questions

• What are your future life goals?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's a commission based business so there is no negotiating it is based off of how many policies you sell.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied through school. Several interviews before getting job offer. Driven but friendly environment.

Interview Questions

• What are three characteristics you have that make you good for this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Woodland Hills, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

it was long and involved. They make you take a personality test and a comprehensive back ground check. The background check looks at everything and i mean everything. i felt like i was under a microscope. I had to go back and look up old records to prove i did nothing wrong on a ticket whitewash dismissed by the courts.

Interview Questions

• i was not really asked anything unusual or difficult all standard run of the mill questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Schaumburg, IL).

Interview

I gave my resume to a head hunter at my university job fair and received a call a couple weeks later from a manager. First interview basic questions but vague about job duties. Declined second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Edina, MN) in August 2013.

Interview

4 interviews with projects (homework) to prepare for the next. Your work must be satisfactory just to advance to the next interview. This involves interviewing family, friends, neighbors, and other acquaintances to prepare. They also test your skills to identify places or businesses as sales opportunities. One of the most challenging processes I've been through but the opportunity is great if it is a good fit for you. It turned out to not be for me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, you start part time with no base salary, only commission.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

It's a 3-4 step interview process depending on your Recruiting Partner. After your 1st interview, you will have to take a personality test before you leave. If your personality fits the position you will move on to the next round. You will also have to attend a few meetings to insure this is the right fit for you.

Interview Questions

• There are several recruiting partners, I am not sure what questions they ask.   Answer Question