New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

2.3

86 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews, one was a group interview. I had to take an aptitude profile, submit to a background check, submit fingerprints, have my credit checked. All interviews were with hiring manager at all times. Ultimately the hire was finalized after a trial period.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Schaumburg, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Solid interview. Went for two meetings and after the second meeting I gathered all the information I needed in deciding that this was not a job for me. I was expected to work when I am away from work. Your free time and weekends are spent generating leads and socializing with clubs and local events.

Interview Questions

You generate your own business under the New York life name. No base pay strictly commission

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life in October 2014.

Interview

There was really not much to my interview. A friend of a friend is an agent and he contacted a partner who setup the interview. I met with a partner and a training manager. The interview really consisted of them trying to convince me to give the position a shot. They were clear up front about the nature of the job and explained the comp structure, which is 100% commission based.

Negotiation

n/a

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Thorough vetting process: 2 interviews with a recruiter; a compatibility test, 2 interviews with partner and Training and Development. The format is very structured: interview, compatibility test, follow up interview (if you are a "match") with the partner, there was role-playing with a Training and Development employee and a meeting with the Managing partner.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about life insurance? Do you have life insurance? Are you comfortable asking friends and family to talk to you about your business?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation - it is all commission based; you are an independent contractor representing NYL.

Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Kalamazoo, MI).

Interview

Three interviews first one you have to submit your information in order for them to perform a background check. 2nd interview they talk about compensation. third interview they offer you a job. If you show up to all three of the interviews and can pass a background check they will offer you a job.

Negotiation

100% commission don't let them let you think otherwise.

Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Southfield, MI) in July 2014.

Interview

I received a call for an interview by one of the partners. I had an interview that went well. After completing the interview, I took an assessment test while in the office. I was cslled a day later to come for a second interview. I went and I met the managing partner. I also attended the career orientation that was split between the managing partner and another partner. I was hired and signed a paper ream of documents. After my background check cleared, I started training. It was a eeek long process.

Interview Questions

• What did I like about the career?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Stockton, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interview1: Introductions, just getting to one another.
     Interview2: Introduction to Products and how they are marketed.
     Interview3: Compensation Conversation

Be sincere, genuine, and a go-getter.

My recruiter was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to talk to. Does his job well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Stiff. No Negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a friend in the company whose partner was hiring. 5 step process. Felt very good about the process, however I felt they put too much emphasis on the potential for income and not enough emphasis on what the job actually entailed.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard personality questions nothing very technical.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no room for negotiation and no compensation until you prove yourself a valuable employee

Agent Interview

Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question