New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

2.1

117 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Several step interview process, they don't care about your experience or qualifications they just want bodies. They also want you to harass family and friends in to buying life insurance.

Interview Questions

• Very few traditional interview questions, it was less of an interview and more sales pitch on the position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Carmel, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

It started off with a typical interview process. The manager gave a good background and summary of the company (which was more like a sales pitch for their products) and standard questions. The interview eventually led to him asking me "how many people do you know in this area?" It was explained to me that these people, my friends and family, would be my first clients and ultimately lead to the success or failure of my client network. At that point, I told the hiring manager that I waasn't comfortable asking my friends and family to be my clients, or rely on them for the success of my work. I told him I wasn't the right candidate for the type of position, hoping to end the interview right then. He got very defensive, and explained how I should want to "help" my friends and family, and continued on with what was more of a sales pitch than an interview. I had to stand up to let him know I was serious about ending the interview because he would not stop going on about how I should "want to help" my friends and family. If you are considering this position at NYL, know that you are paid on commission only and will be expected to bug the people you know to sell their services. Though you are working "for" NYL, you will ultimately be on your own. It's definitely not for everyone.

Interview Questions

• How many people in this area do you know.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It only took 1 min to ask me if I had any sales experience. And then the manager told me they don't sponsor h1b and then let me go. It was a rainy day and I drove 3 hours to long island for this interview. It was really a bad experience.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process took longer than it should. I applied online and got a phone call a hour later. The phone call was to set up a phone interview. I set it up 3 day from the phone call. When the day arrived no phone call. This was because of the Hurricanes Irma. So I called them back and reschedule the interview. Didn't get a call on the day of second interview. So we rescheduled for another time. Finally got the call and the interview went smoothly. It was a basic phone interview. She asked about my resume and made me explain it in more detail. From there she would branch out and ask questions on my response.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Buffalo, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

My resume got floated to them which resulted in a call by one of the HR reps. The rep was polite and seemed like he looked into my background fairly well. Overall very professional.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about what we do here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Partner will reach out to you and introduce themselves over the phone, and schedule an interview. after the 2nd interview you complete an online assessment and the 3rd interview is them explaining the complex way that you get paid, how the program works and what you need to do before signing the contract.

Interview Questions

• What is your business plan?   1 Answer
    • What sets you apart from everyone else?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview. It was very friendly and informative. Just asking if you are interested in the job, and previous experiences. Also offered insight to what the company does, and what your role you will be playing in the company.

Interview Questions

• What are your previous experiences regarding financial and insurance services?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

person was great but the job offer seem like a scam. No salary only commission. Don't go for an interview its a waste of time. Only take this job for the training and licences. After that run as fast as you can away from this place.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer a salary or commission?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

First interview is brief where you say hi and tell the hiring manager about yourself.
    Second is a presentation that puts dollar signs in your eyes.
    The third interview is a little more in depth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

We met at a job fair and the position was briefly discussed. I was asked a few open ended questions on the spot. After an online assessment I was scheduled for an interview in just a couple days. The face to face with Crystal was a great experience. She was attentive, courteous, and engaged the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you should work with us?   1 Answer
    • If you called everyone you know how many people would say yes to coffee to you today?   1 Answer