New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 10, 2017

2.1

109 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Partner will reach out to you and introduce themselves over the phone, and schedule an interview. after the 2nd interview you complete an online assessment and the 3rd interview is them explaining the complex way that you get paid, how the program works and what you need to do before signing the contract.

Interview Questions

• What is your business plan?   1 Answer
  • What sets you apart from everyone else?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

person was great but the job offer seem like a scam. No salary only commission. Don't go for an interview its a waste of time. Only take this job for the training and licences. After that run as fast as you can away from this place.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer a salary or commission?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

First interview is brief where you say hi and tell the hiring manager about yourself.
    Second is a presentation that puts dollar signs in your eyes.
    The third interview is a little more in depth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

We met at a job fair and the position was briefly discussed. I was asked a few open ended questions on the spot. After an online assessment I was scheduled for an interview in just a couple days. The face to face with Crystal was a great experience. She was attentive, courteous, and engaged the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you should work with us?   1 Answer
    • If you called everyone you know how many people would say yes to coffee to you today?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

typical s.t.a.r. process. However, position was not offering any base salary, only commission based. Overall the company is very old and pretty stable and from what i have heard the benefits are good too.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think we should hire you?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview makes it clear that it is commission only, but they make it a point to say how much you can make per sale. However, by the time you can get certified to sell the basic life and health insurance, you will be out of money for months. Make sure to understand how long it takes to make a first sale before jumping into it.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could make your own book of business right away.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Recruiter basically just bragged about the company and gave snarky remarks about other companies. Didn't provide too much detail on the job. He just emphasized you could make a lot of money and made it seem too easy.

Interview Questions

• Could you attract 50+ clients   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a three part interview. I actually did my first interview on the phone and it went really well. The interviewer sold the job really well and I was very excited to be asked to come in for a second interview.

The second interview was not really an interview, but more like an informational meeting. You are bombarded with a lot of information about life insurance products and the compensation package. The compensation package is kind of confusing, but basically it is 100% commission, so if you don't sell anything, you don't make a lot of money. They also hint at the fact you will be "building a network" from your friends and family, and what this means is that you are going to bug your friends and family about life insurance to the point where they are annoyed with you.

Needless to say I declined to take the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you ask for the person to fully explain the compensation package because it seemed designed to make it seem better than it actually is.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview is you meeting the recruiting partner. He knew nothing about me coming in so I presume it was a recruiter that reached out to me via ziprecruiter. Brief explanation about the company and gives his background and I was asked to give mine. Left resume with him and went to take the personality test. Was asked to come back for the career overview where they lay down the history of NYL, the comparisons with other companies, how clients benefit, and how you would get paid. Based on others who were there, there is no discrimination on who they interview. People of all ages, gender, and ethnicity. It is 0 base salary however if you have a great network and/or can socialize, there is a good chance you could do well. Its not one of those 9-5 jobs where you sit on your tail. You work for your earnings and it can be quit lucrative if successful.