New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

2.1

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was first contacted and had a basic interview with the recruiter. This went fine and then I was scheduled for a second interview with the branch manager. This was a different interview than I normally have. They were trying to sell the company to me and not the other way around. After this I had another interview / informational meeting because the second one was with another employee not the manager because he was busy.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

The initial interview was with the Managing Partner, and the Human Resources Manager. It was essentially a "get to know you" interview, in which I assume they were simply determining whether or not my personality was a good fit for the company. They gave me a Personality Test to complete, as well as a list of questions regarding my life goals to answer and bring back upon my second interview.

Interview Questions

• What are my goals over the next 3-5 years, both financially and personally?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was more of a sales pitch then anything else. They tell you what you're going to be doing and why its such a great job, the truth is there are 5 other companies within 10 miles that will hire you to do the exact same thing. These jobs are 100% commission based and cost the company almost nothing to hire you on. The interview was pretty laid back though, nice people. If I was interested in selling investment plans and life insurance, Id work there.

Interview Questions

• If I asked your best friend 5 characteristics that describe you, what would they be?   Answer Question

Not interested in 100% commission job

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Four Interviews total. Interview one seemed like they were trying to sell you on the company. Interview two was a compensation interview. Interview three was a training interview. Interview four was the acceptance interview.

Interview Questions

Pay is performance based and I did not feel comfortable with the current staff at the office.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

I received a call from a gentleman who was wary to tell me too many details over the phone, he just wanted me to take my time to meet with them to see if I'd be "selected" to fill out an application. It was very shady since he was just trying to evade providing details but wanted me to think I was "selected" for a possible application. He mentioned some license that was required and later stated that I'd have to pay for it and I'd be "refunded". I decided to not go for the "interview" and he was a bit rude saying "Its ok, I guess you don't really get it". Well I did get it, but I am not interested in this line of work. Maybe next time instead of ending the conversation on a rude note, it would be great if your cold caller can understand that a person is not interested in that line of work to begin with.

Interview Questions

• Apparently the difficulty was in it for the caller when I asked what the position was about and the licenses required for the position. He was hesitant to provide details, after all, he was calling me then stating that I'd have to go in for the "interview" to THEN apply for the job IF I was selected.   Answer Question

I posted my resume online but my credentials have nothing to do with their position available and also it is not a career I would enjoy for myself.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Initially was contacted by phone for an interview which was very routine and professional. Then went to the office located near Grand Central for another interview. Was offered to come back for another interview so I could receive information about compensation.

Interview Questions

• Who was the demographic I could reach at that particular time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in September 2009.

Interview

I applied via the NYL website. Received a call within a week. Went in and interviewed with a manager who seemed bright, professional and knowledgable. However, the impression I got was more of a typical life insurance sweat shop not a professional advisor atmosphere. It seemed to me they were interested in filling up the "bull-pen" with bodies, through as much " " at the wall and seeing what stuck. Declined to move on with the process.

Interview Questions

• Do you know at least 100 people.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Dublin, OH) in June 2011.

Interview

Friendly atmosphere with get-to know you talk. Explanation of benefits and compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyannis, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Hyannis, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

They tell you that you need to go through 4 interviews and on the last interview, if they want to hire you, they will offer you the job. The first interview consisted of the recruiter trying to sell me the company, which I thought was strange. It almost seemed like I was the one giving her an interview about New York Life. That was red flag #1. The fact that they were so desperate to get employees was very strange to me; in an economy that has many people struggling for jobs, why was this person almost begging me to become interested in this one?

Interview Questions

After reading reviews on this site and talking to people I know, I realized that they had been very deceptive in this interview. They said that salary was $65,000 and you were paid commission on top of that. But, almost everyone I spoke to and everything I read about said that it was commission only. Many other reviews also found that New York Life has a very deceptive interviewing process. Upon returning for my second interview, I decided that this was not the place I wanted to work at and declined the offer for another interview.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life in May 2012.

Interview

I merely submitted a resume, and they got back to me with a call. I came in and we talked about the internship. The interview was more about getting to know me and me getting to know the company if I decided to accept the opportunity.