New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 22, 2017

2.1

113 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a three part interview. I actually did my first interview on the phone and it went really well. The interviewer sold the job really well and I was very excited to be asked to come in for a second interview.

The second interview was not really an interview, but more like an informational meeting. You are bombarded with a lot of information about life insurance products and the compensation package. The compensation package is kind of confusing, but basically it is 100% commission, so if you don't sell anything, you don't make a lot of money. They also hint at the fact you will be "building a network" from your friends and family, and what this means is that you are going to bug your friends and family about life insurance to the point where they are annoyed with you.

Needless to say I declined to take the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you ask for the person to fully explain the compensation package because it seemed designed to make it seem better than it actually is.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview is you meeting the recruiting partner. He knew nothing about me coming in so I presume it was a recruiter that reached out to me via ziprecruiter. Brief explanation about the company and gives his background and I was asked to give mine. Left resume with him and went to take the personality test. Was asked to come back for the career overview where they lay down the history of NYL, the comparisons with other companies, how clients benefit, and how you would get paid. Based on others who were there, there is no discrimination on who they interview. People of all ages, gender, and ethnicity. It is 0 base salary however if you have a great network and/or can socialize, there is a good chance you could do well. Its not one of those 9-5 jobs where you sit on your tail. You work for your earnings and it can be quit lucrative if successful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Cherry Hill, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

The first interview is a fairly quick focused on getting to know NY Life and expectations as well as filling out paperwork. Second Interview focused on the explanation of the business plan and products that NY Life has to offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Huntsville, AL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview and a brief introduction of each of the interviewees and the interviewer. During the interview they also had shown what they had to offer. By the end we were asked to do a test and complete a background check.

Interview Questions

• They had asked us to introduce ourselves.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in January 2017.

Interview

recruiter reached out to me and set up a quick phone screening/interview. Scheduled an in person interview but during the process learned that the job just wasn't for me. Overall it is a fairly simple process and they do a pretty good job of explaining what to expect.

Interview Questions

• What is something you can tell me about yourself that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Got an e-mail from company's recruitment director that my resume has been found on monster.com and if I can meet for an interview in their office. It was a simple HR kind of interview and thereafter I was asked to undertake an online personality assessment test. As soon as I was done with it, I got e-mail for the next round however, I decided not to pursue the opportunity further as I was looking for a different role/profile.

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Few basic and a few behavioral interview questions, overall the first interview took about 30 mins. Got called for 2 interviews before the job offer. Very friendly and professional interviewer

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that I can't find on your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I received an email invitation to apply for the job through ZipRecruiter. An interview was scheduled two days after using 1-Click Apply to submit my resume. The interviewer was a partner trying to build his team. After interview, I was asked to fill a questionnaire on computer for personality test.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Very smooth. Was an all day interview. Went to a team lunch and talk with the team to get to know them and how things run around the office.