New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was good and easy. I applied online and got called two days later but he didn't say that I had to find my own clients which I knew I couldn't do so I declined. This is for people who have lots of connections and friends that are willing to buy insurance. Most of the pay is based on commissions so you won't be even making minimum wage salary if you don't meet the target each month. I don't think I will be applying for financial advisor again. I declined and he said sorry after trying to convince me but I wasn't fit for this sales. However, he was a nice throughout the interview, you don't need a college degree to go into sales so I was overqualified for this position as well. I think other insurance companies work the same way so I can't blame them just don't go into that business if you don't think you can make it.

Interview Questions

• What was your goals?   Answer Question
  • Are you fine with having commission based income which is unsteady?   1 Answer

Because I knew I wasn't capable of selling to my friends and family insurance.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA).

Interview

This process was a giant waste of time. They make you come in for at least four separate interviews in which they give you only a little bit of information at a time and not the whole picture of the job up front. They spend a lot of time telling you how you can get your career started in financial services and how it is a great opportunity to get extensive training and certifications. But in reality the position is a sales position for WHOLE life insurance and is 100 percent commission. The position requires extensive travel and personal expenses that will only be reimbursed if you hit your target for the month, which is 6 policies sold. Their model is based on using your own personal network. They ask you to assemble a list of 250 people you know so that they can send out a formal announcement of your employment but in reality you are just handing over 250 leads which the company will keep no matter how you do. This is basically a 100 percent commission life insurance sales job that is masqueraded as a financial advisor position.

Interview Questions

• What makes you feel accomplished or satisfied that you are doing well in the workplace?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Lubbock, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who saw my resume on Monster.con. I was asked to come in for an interview and we scheduled the appointment. They were flexible with my schedule because I was working 8-5 and they allowed for an after hour interview. During the interview, the recruiter said several things that did not line up. She explained that this position brings in clients because with the Affordable Care Act everyone is required to have insurance. This is true, but in regards to health insurance not life or long term. She also said in the initial email asking for the interview that I would be making $75k a year. When I asked how this was possible she said that was a National medium for Financial Advisors and 1st year advisors are lucky to make $40k. I feel that's deceptive. After the interview you take an assessment and if you meet the qualifications then you're move on to the second interview. She handed me a packet with about 50+ questions she said I'd have to complete by the 2nd interview which she wanted to schedule for the following day. I politely declined.

Interview Questions

• What interested you in becoming a Financial Advisor?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

It was a four step interview process, you meet with a partner for interview one, interview two is a compensation overview which happens in a group setting, interview three you recap with a partner to discuss the compensation meeting. The last interview you go over any final thoughts about the job.

Interview Questions

• If you take this position where do you see yourself in five years.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life in August 2016.

Interview

half an hour interview. It was easy and nothing special. The recruiter didn't state the compensation and salary clearly online, but I found the position overlap with insurance agent somehow? I'm confusing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (San Dimas, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Good nice introduction to the team. But it sounded like pitching you a job opportunity rather than a position. I'm not sure but there is no base salary or transition pay. So if your working I like to know if your getting paid for the day. Sounds like you mostly generate leads for the licensed agent. I have/ had a license so I can have my own sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

3 step hiring process. The 1 step is the formal interview while the other two explain the work and nature of the position that you are applying to. For the first step, you will go to the office and they will ask standard interview questions and give you a personality exam to determine if you would be a good fit.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Typical questions are asked (i.e. strengths, weakness, likes/dislikes, desires, what to offer company, experience, etc.) You take a personality test. After the personality test, the second interview is reviewing the personality along with filling out a questionnaire that is in a booklet you are given at the first interview that describes the culture, nature and benefits of NYL. Great training program, completely commission based.

Interview Questions

After the second interview I was asked to get referrals from my "network" and I wasn't so sure if it was for me any more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was not difficult. It was mainly getting to know you during the first interview and then from there you learn more about the role of a financial advisor. The second interview is about the day to day life and requirements of the role. The third interview is about compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Ended up being a group interview, which was kind of insulting. As well as the fact that they seemed more interested in the clients i represented than me. The people I was interviewing with had zero financial experience. one of them worked at macy's selling perfume.

position was commission only