New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

2.1

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life in August 2016.

Interview

half an hour interview. It was easy and nothing special. The recruiter didn't state the compensation and salary clearly online, but I found the position overlap with insurance agent somehow? I'm confusing.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Dimas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (San Dimas, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Good nice introduction to the team. But it sounded like pitching you a job opportunity rather than a position. I'm not sure but there is no base salary or transition pay. So if your working I like to know if your getting paid for the day. Sounds like you mostly generate leads for the licensed agent. I have/ had a license so I can have my own sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

3 step hiring process. The 1 step is the formal interview while the other two explain the work and nature of the position that you are applying to. For the first step, you will go to the office and they will ask standard interview questions and give you a personality exam to determine if you would be a good fit.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Typical questions are asked (i.e. strengths, weakness, likes/dislikes, desires, what to offer company, experience, etc.) You take a personality test. After the personality test, the second interview is reviewing the personality along with filling out a questionnaire that is in a booklet you are given at the first interview that describes the culture, nature and benefits of NYL. Great training program, completely commission based.

Interview Questions

After the second interview I was asked to get referrals from my "network" and I wasn't so sure if it was for me any more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was not difficult. It was mainly getting to know you during the first interview and then from there you learn more about the role of a financial advisor. The second interview is about the day to day life and requirements of the role. The third interview is about compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Ended up being a group interview, which was kind of insulting. As well as the fact that they seemed more interested in the clients i represented than me. The people I was interviewing with had zero financial experience. one of them worked at macy's selling perfume.

position was commission only

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Bridgewater, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (West Bridgewater, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

They headhunted me, after seeing my resume on Monster. I was told that they only had interviews at 10, 11, and 12, which made me kind of suspicious. I figured if a company was actually interested in me, they would try and figure out a time that worked well with my schedule as well. I figured they must have been group interviews, but when I asked, they assured me they wouldn't be. I scheduled one for ten, and a few days later, after doing a little research about the company and the position, saw other reviews, saying that it was completely commissioned base, and they try to get you to sell insurance to family and friends. I sent the woman an email, asking whether or not the position had a base salary, and to send me a job description. She said there was no job description but that I would be making money in the 6 figure range. I didn't go to the interview, because I wouldn't want to work for a company that not only doesn't have a job description, but that would hire someone externally instead of promoting internally, for that much money.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know whether or not I wanted to help people financially.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The Interview process can be up to three or more interviews depending on your employer. The main reason for this is that they want you to be sure that you will like this type of job and that you do plan on working their for years to come. After each interview they give you assignments to complete and bring back. First you will take an assessment test to see if you fit their profile and if you do will they move on to the second interview. you will be completing an introduction booklet that you will have to read over so that you grasp an understanding of the company along with some question in the end. next you will have to gather references and possible start module 1.

Interview Questions

• where do you see your self in ten years.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I met with a very nice interviewer who went into great detail about the position, what it has to offer, and skills that are crucial to be successful in this industry. Great interview, however, the position was not what I was looking for. The licensing requirements were insurance-based (as expected) and I am more focused on going the securities route. In addition, I did not like the commission only pay structure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (White Plains, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Keep in mind this was my first interview. The person I spoke with was very monotone and a bit intimidating at first. As the conversation went on, he became more engaged and was very helpful as I asked detailed questions about the job and the firm. Overall, it was a great experience as I learned a lot about the firm as well as the industry as a whole.