New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 3, 2017

2.3

93 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. I only went for the first round, I'm not very interested in a sales job. It was very casual, they asked about me then explained their 3 year training process and how various sales quotas would have to be met throughout the training program. He informed me there would be later round interviews if I was interested in the position.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

It was pretty simple first interview. After that, the company host a little conference for us to introduce the potential the compensation can get. I think if you show your interest at selling and passionate about running your own business, you will have a big chance getting the job. After all, you are literally working for yourself.

Interview Questions

• What experiences of yours is going to help you perform well at this position?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The worst interview process I have ever been a part of. First, they ask to meet with you to discuss further details which seems casual but this is actually disguised as a full blown scripted interview. After the interview, they were very vague on what the job entails and all they talked about was money. My friend and I made it to the next round of the interview process which was in Carmel, IN. This was a group "interview" but in reality it was a two hour long sales pitch for their company. Terrible management who only care about making sales, they made ridiculous and immature comparisons as to why their company is the best. They literally say it is all about looking good (having a fancy car and suit). My friend and I were very skeptical and challenged their claims at the end of their "group interview" (sales pitch). Even if I was offered the job, I would have turned it down in a heartbeat. Would not recommend this company to anyone unless you are willing to lie to people's face and sell a product/service you are not passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What are you biggest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass the licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. Totally commission-based...some Republican drivel about "eating what you kill" (ad nauseam). Super entry-level.

Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a cheap suit to work, keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. I think there's probably more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman in order to meet weekly/monthly sales targets.

Oh yeah, they run an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of historical detail, addresses, and contacts when I applied for "Secret" clearance with the State Department! Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I spent 1000 dollars to New York for this interview. It was horrible, the interview was scheduled on 1:30pm, however, I wait more than 15 min for the HR to see me. At the beginning of interview, she asked me to tell about myself. After that, when I mention I'm international student. she said this position didn't provide the sponsorship. You can tell me this before I spent the money for hotel and flight. totally waste money and time for this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer talked a lot about what it would be like working as a sales agent for NYL. They basically will train you and you work on commission. The interviewer talked more than I did. She didn't even have my file on hand, didn't remember what and why my resume was chosen to the interview at the first place. She told me she had 8 interviews that day and I was her 9th interviewee. Felt like she also worked on commission to get as much people to work for them as possible. There were so many licenses I need to get in order to do the job, so in the end I felt like it was not for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

The managing partner reached out to me an offered the opportunity to begin my career with NYL. The first interview was a 1:1 introduction of getting to know one another a little background on the company. They have you complete a test similar to a Strength Finders quiz to gauge how well you might fit into the role. The second meeting was about compensation breakdown as well as the procedure for securing new clients.

Interview Questions

• If you're best friend and I were alone, what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Found job through my college recruitment site. They didn't ask me any questions right off the bat they wanted to know what questions I had for them. Easy interview bring good questions on to second round. Want me to complete an extensive background check read some materials and answer some questions. Also asked me if I have any friends looking for a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with one of the principals of the agency. The gentleman I met with was very professional and made me feel comfortable. He asked several questions about my work history and what I wanted in the future. He also told me about himself and his family. There was no reason to be nervous because he was so relaxed.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I went in and manager offered me water. She made me go through my whole resume. She then told me about what got her into the company and what made her stay for so long. She then told me to complete an assessment and based off of that I would be called in for a round 2 interview