New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2017

2.3

91 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The worst interview process I have ever been a part of. First, they ask to meet with you to discuss further details which seems casual but this is actually disguised as a full blown scripted interview. After the interview, they were very vague on what the job entails and all they talked about was money. My friend and I made it to the next round of the interview process which was in Carmel, IN. This was a group "interview" but in reality it was a two hour long sales pitch for their company. Terrible management who only care about making sales, they made ridiculous and immature comparisons as to why their company is the best. They literally say it is all about looking good (having a fancy car and suit). My friend and I were very skeptical and challenged their claims at the end of their "group interview" (sales pitch). Even if I was offered the job, I would have turned it down in a heartbeat. Would not recommend this company to anyone unless you are willing to lie to people's face and sell a product/service you are not passionate about.

Interview Questions

• What are you biggest strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I spent 1000 dollars to New York for this interview. It was horrible, the interview was scheduled on 1:30pm, however, I wait more than 15 min for the HR to see me. At the beginning of interview, she asked me to tell about myself. After that, when I mention I'm international student. she said this position didn't provide the sponsorship. You can tell me this before I spent the money for hotel and flight. totally waste money and time for this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass the licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. Totally commission-based...some Republican drivel about "eating what you kill" (ad nauseam). Super entry-level.

Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a cheap suit to work, keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. I think there's probably more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman in order to meet weekly/monthly sales targets.

Oh yeah, they run an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of historical detail, addresses, and contacts when I applied for "Secret" clearance with the State Department! Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer talked a lot about what it would be like working as a sales agent for NYL. They basically will train you and you work on commission. The interviewer talked more than I did. She didn't even have my file on hand, didn't remember what and why my resume was chosen to the interview at the first place. She told me she had 8 interviews that day and I was her 9th interviewee. Felt like she also worked on commission to get as much people to work for them as possible. There were so many licenses I need to get in order to do the job, so in the end I felt like it was not for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

The managing partner reached out to me an offered the opportunity to begin my career with NYL. The first interview was a 1:1 introduction of getting to know one another a little background on the company. They have you complete a test similar to a Strength Finders quiz to gauge how well you might fit into the role. The second meeting was about compensation breakdown as well as the procedure for securing new clients.

Interview Questions

• If you're best friend and I were alone, what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Found job through my college recruitment site. They didn't ask me any questions right off the bat they wanted to know what questions I had for them. Easy interview bring good questions on to second round. Want me to complete an extensive background check read some materials and answer some questions. Also asked me if I have any friends looking for a job.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I went in and manager offered me water. She made me go through my whole resume. She then told me about what got her into the company and what made her stay for so long. She then told me to complete an assessment and based off of that I would be called in for a round 2 interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with one of the principals of the agency. The gentleman I met with was very professional and made me feel comfortable. He asked several questions about my work history and what I wanted in the future. He also told me about himself and his family. There was no reason to be nervous because he was so relaxed.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

BIGGEST WARNING: YOU ARE GOING TO DISH OUT A LOT OF MONEY AND GET NOTHING BACK!!!! YOU MUST BE RICH TO EVEN START ENTRY LEVEL HERE!

The hiring process is not organized what-so-ever and at that I feel like I'm not correctly justifying how terrible they are.

It starts off most of the time with a parter (recruiting) reaching out to you via email, basically overselling themselves. They sell to you that "I out office, the average salary of our agents is $80,000 in the first year and $100,000 plus in the second year and on!!!" But this is all not true. Look at Glassdoor, enter the city and state and find out what the agents are actually reporting. In my case, I found that the average agent is reporting $35,000 annually: BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you believe it, you email back and tell them you're interested and they call you almost immediately, desperately wanting to get you in for an interview ASAP. In my case, this recruiter wanted me to interview the same day, 2 hours later. I was at my current job working so that was out of the question, but we eventually met up.

Once again they sell and sell and sell saying they are a Fortune 500 company making millions and their agents are paid so so well. All not true and they don't even make top 50 on the Fortune 500.

YOU GOT THROUGH 5 INTERVIEWS, F I V E.
    And they do not validate your parking. So I paid at least $90 in parking alone for these interviews. Because Glendale California parking is not cheap.

Completely unorganized! They fail to properly follow up and communicate. For the most part I was on edge, were they going to call me back? Was I getting another interview? Is the job mine or? When do I start?

Then on the 5th interview, about a month after my first interview started, they made me an offer. Not official, no paper no nothing, just the recruiters words and this is where the real fun starts.
    The recruiter then goes on to say, you have to be 100% licenses before we even contract you.

COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

You then go on to be pressured into getting your state license within two weeks. They set a date, put you on the calendar and pressure you so much. I got phone calls and text messages every day about the status of my license and studying. I was more pressured to try and act like I knew the material just to prove to the recruiter more than actually learning to pass the test.

During this entire process, you pay out of pocket, but once again get promised by work that you will be reimbursed for these expenses. I payed almost $300 total after the licensing process and was told to not give up, keep going and paying and "my contract was almost ready"

All a waste of my time again.

MAYBE TWO MONTHS AFTER THE FIRST INTERVIEW, I AM FINALLY OFFERED A PAPER CONTRACT. Only to be told, I would not be reimbursed for anything until I became full time

Interview Questions

• Why the career change from retail management to financial services?   Answer Question
    • Do you consider yourself to be a person of high integrity?   Answer Question
    • Do you have a California insurance license   Answer Question
    • What does your family think about you changing careers   Answer Question

Negotiation

You seem like the right fit, we would like to make you an offer...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. A lot of work early on in the application process, in my experience this is consistent with positions with a high earning potential. I would suggest to do research and prepare for a long ramp up time. I did some research and NYL compensation estimates were verified by someone I trust in that field