New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. totally commission-based. Super entry-level. Waste of time. Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a suit to work. Keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. You'll probably earn just as much and there's more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman. Oh yeah, they want an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of detail, addresses, and contacts for my security clearance with State! Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Found job through my college recruitment site. They didn't ask me any questions right off the bat they wanted to know what questions I had for them. Easy interview bring good questions on to second round. Want me to complete an extensive background check read some materials and answer some questions. Also asked me if I have any friends looking for a job.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Interview

I went in and manager offered me water. She made me go through my whole resume. She then told me about what got her into the company and what made her stay for so long. She then told me to complete an assessment and based off of that I would be called in for a round 2 interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with one of the principals of the agency. The gentleman I met with was very professional and made me feel comfortable. He asked several questions about my work history and what I wanted in the future. He also told me about himself and his family. There was no reason to be nervous because he was so relaxed.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

BIGGEST WARNING: YOU ARE GOING TO DISH OUT A LOT OF MONEY AND GET NOTHING BACK!!!! YOU MUST BE RICH TO EVEN START ENTRY LEVEL HERE!

The hiring process is not organized what-so-ever and at that I feel like I'm not correctly justifying how terrible they are.

It starts off most of the time with a parter (recruiting) reaching out to you via email, basically overselling themselves. They sell to you that "I out office, the average salary of our agents is $80,000 in the first year and $100,000 plus in the second year and on!!!" But this is all not true. Look at Glassdoor, enter the city and state and find out what the agents are actually reporting. In my case, I found that the average agent is reporting $35,000 annually: BIG DIFFERENCE.

If you believe it, you email back and tell them you're interested and they call you almost immediately, desperately wanting to get you in for an interview ASAP. In my case, this recruiter wanted me to interview the same day, 2 hours later. I was at my current job working so that was out of the question, but we eventually met up.

Once again they sell and sell and sell saying they are a Fortune 500 company making millions and their agents are paid so so well. All not true and they don't even make top 50 on the Fortune 500.

YOU GOT THROUGH 5 INTERVIEWS, F I V E.
    And they do not validate your parking. So I paid at least $90 in parking alone for these interviews. Because Glendale California parking is not cheap.

Completely unorganized! They fail to properly follow up and communicate. For the most part I was on edge, were they going to call me back? Was I getting another interview? Is the job mine or? When do I start?

Then on the 5th interview, about a month after my first interview started, they made me an offer. Not official, no paper no nothing, just the recruiters words and this is where the real fun starts.
    The recruiter then goes on to say, you have to be 100% licenses before we even contract you.

COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY.

You then go on to be pressured into getting your state license within two weeks. They set a date, put you on the calendar and pressure you so much. I got phone calls and text messages every day about the status of my license and studying. I was more pressured to try and act like I knew the material just to prove to the recruiter more than actually learning to pass the test.

During this entire process, you pay out of pocket, but once again get promised by work that you will be reimbursed for these expenses. I payed almost $300 total after the licensing process and was told to not give up, keep going and paying and "my contract was almost ready"

All a waste of my time again.

MAYBE TWO MONTHS AFTER THE FIRST INTERVIEW, I AM FINALLY OFFERED A PAPER CONTRACT. Only to be told, I would not be reimbursed for anything until I became full time

Interview Questions

• Why the career change from retail management to financial services?   Answer Question
    • Do you consider yourself to be a person of high integrity?   Answer Question
    • Do you have a California insurance license   Answer Question
    • What does your family think about you changing careers   Answer Question

Negotiation

You seem like the right fit, we would like to make you an offer...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. A lot of work early on in the application process, in my experience this is consistent with positions with a high earning potential. I would suggest to do research and prepare for a long ramp up time. I did some research and NYL compensation estimates were verified by someone I trust in that field

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter emailed me and asked why I'm transferring from marketing to sells. I explained in the email and got the interview. The interview was at NY Life in San Jose.

Interview Questions

• Normal questions, mostly just chatting   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very chill I enjoyed the interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lutherville Timonium, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Lutherville Timonium, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

On site interview. Everything went fine until the managing partner knew that I do not have us citizenship or green card. They do not provide sponsorship and they do not want temporary employee regardless your qualification.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the most interesting part in finance industry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life (San Jose, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I only went to one interview because I wasn't interested in the job, but it was a pleasant experience. I was initially emailed very quickly after I applied online( literally within hours). I drove over to their San Jose office and had the interview in person. They had me take a little personality survey which was quick and easy. The interview was pleasant with the standard questions. I was given information about the position and then left. I was told I would be emailed to be told if I would go on to the next stage of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What did you think about on your drive over here?
      Tell me about this (something specific) on your resume.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Irvine, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty basic. Mostly behavior. You need to do some projects and assigned reading before coming in for the next interview. They want to see how you commit to the work they assigned,