New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.3

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

My interview was directly with one of the partner's of the firm instead of starting off with a Human Resource person because I was referred by one of my friends. The partner of the firm told me that I had a very impressive resume and asked me to tell him my I wanted to work for New York Life instead of investment banking. After standard interview questions he told me about himself and his vision to build the biggest unit in New York Life. I was told immediately after the interview that I got the job and to report in the coming Monday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
    Why New York Life instead of Investment banking or Wealth Management?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    What can you do for me?
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Arrived and took a personality quiz. First interview did not accomplish much and was basically a sales pitch to me. I get the impression that this company will hire just about anyone. Second interview is an information session and third is the actual interview where they will make a choice.

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Bridgewater, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Easy, really trying to see if you have good people skills. There are four interviews total, which are each about an hour long. The recruiter is almost trying to sell you on taking the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First was a phone call asking if you are driven/self starter and like to help people. If you say yes, the person you spoke to will bring you in to a face to face. After going through the generic resume background questions you will take a survey which will ask you your likelihood to sell life insurance to friends and family. Then you'll get called back for a "compensation overview". Be skeptical. This is a 100% commission only position.

Interview Questions

• Do you like to help people with their financial goals?   Answer Question

It was 100% commission.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied through college career services. Phone call next day with basic questions and setting up interview time. Interview was fairly easy with some prep beforehand. Behavioral questions and getting to know you. Nothing too technical... explaining the interview process and what will happen. Basically trying to see if you're friendly and personable. Also took computer aptitude test.

Didn't like because it seemed like they were trying too hard and "selling" the job too much which raised red flag in my book

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Its a get to know you interview. This is on a personal level and more like a conversation instead of a question and answer. Be prepared to be engaging because your interviewer wants to sww how great your communication skills are.

Interview Questions

• If your best friend could tell explain you to me what would she/he say?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a series of three meetings. During the first meeting, they just ask a lot of questions about who you are as a person, what you like to do, your hobbies and interests, and what you're proud of. During the second meeting, they go over their compensation package and explain in detail how all the percentages add up, how the performance bonuses work, and how it's entirely commission based. They stressed over and over again how first years can make seven-figure salaries if they work hard, but then later go on to say that the average for a first year is around $65k. If up to this point you are still interested, they call you back for a third meeting where they ask you what you think of the company and the job, how eager you are to start, and if you think this is the right fit for you. There essentially was no real process except for showing up and nodding your head long and smiling.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview process is in stages, they bring you in for very general questions first, have you take a personality test, which is pretty much geared towards figuring out if you'll do well in sales. The next few interviews consist of more general questions, and they give you marketing surveys to get done, after which you will review those. Lots of the talk consists of them giving accolades to their own company and wanting to get you hooked.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a 30 minute assessment test on a provided computer which required an internet connection. Followed by a person to person interview with the Recruiter, who was very pleasant and only asked very few and basic questions. It was not a very thorough interview at all. Also you have to make sure you bring proper id just to be admitted into the high rise building located near Wall Street.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

The job description was very vague, and the follow up requirements were never communicated to me. This an awful way to start a job. How can you expect the employee to be excited if they are constantly left in the dark and confused.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Three interviews that last over an hour. A lot of prying into my personal life which I felt was borderline inappropriate. The interviewer was nice but I felt that he was telling me what I wanted to hear. He did mention that I would be required to try to sell to friends and family.