New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Financial Services Professional Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

It was a series of three meetings. During the first meeting, they just ask a lot of questions about who you are as a person, what you like to do, your hobbies and interests, and what you're proud of. During the second meeting, they go over their compensation package and explain in detail how all the percentages add up, how the performance bonuses work, and how it's entirely commission based. They stressed over and over again how first years can make seven-figure salaries if they work hard, but then later go on to say that the average for a first year is around $65k. If up to this point you are still interested, they call you back for a third meeting where they ask you what you think of the company and the job, how eager you are to start, and if you think this is the right fit for you. There essentially was no real process except for showing up and nodding your head long and smiling.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interview process is in stages, they bring you in for very general questions first, have you take a personality test, which is pretty much geared towards figuring out if you'll do well in sales. The next few interviews consist of more general questions, and they give you marketing surveys to get done, after which you will review those. Lots of the talk consists of them giving accolades to their own company and wanting to get you hooked.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths/weaknesses?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

There was a 30 minute assessment test on a provided computer which required an internet connection. Followed by a person to person interview with the Recruiter, who was very pleasant and only asked very few and basic questions. It was not a very thorough interview at all. Also you have to make sure you bring proper id just to be admitted into the high rise building located near Wall Street.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

The job description was very vague, and the follow up requirements were never communicated to me. This an awful way to start a job. How can you expect the employee to be excited if they are constantly left in the dark and confused.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Three interviews that last over an hour. A lot of prying into my personal life which I felt was borderline inappropriate. The interviewer was nice but I felt that he was telling me what I wanted to hear. He did mention that I would be required to try to sell to friends and family.

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Des Moines, IA) in June 2015.

Interview

I had 3 interviews before I accepted the position. The first was a get to know each other. I got to ask questions, and the managing partner got to know me in person as opposed to a phone interview or pre-screening. The 2nd interview was more of a presentation style where the company profile was reviewed. I was asked to do some follow homework to see how serious I was in handling the information given. The 3rd was the answer any questions or objections I had in the process. The 3rd interview is also a time when spouses can be brought in to talk to the managing partner as well. (This did not happen with me.)

Interview Questions

• There were not any specific questions. It was more conversational. The last interview included asking what my fears with taking the job.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Cedar Rapids, IA).

Interview

The first interview was a basic tell me about yourself, elevator pitch type interview. The second was more what the job would require, and they had me do a basic skills assessment. The third was what steps we needed to take to get started, as far as tests and stuff.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't that hard. Basic, "why would you be good at this job type?" type questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2015.

Interview

3 day interview process. On the first interview we spoke a little about myself, but mostly it was about NY Life and what they did. The second interview was more about them getting to know me. They then sent me an email with a questionnaire for me to fill out. The questionnaire had questions for them to gauge my personality. In the third interview they go over compensation.

Interview Questions

• What would be the reason you think that would make it difficult to succeed at this job?   1 Answer

Not the right fit for me.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

It was simple because they are hiring anyone who walks through their revolving door. They're digging for gold without regard for the lives of the candidates they are potentially destroying

Interview Questions

• So What Sports do you play?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

met with interviewer and asked me basic questions off a print out sheet. took about an hour, asked me very basic questions such as where do you see yourself in five years and what makes you stand out

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (State College, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very conversational. Everyone who works here is easy to get along with (hence why they are financial professionals). If they like your personality and see that you have a drive for success the likelihood that you will get the job is very high. Overall it was a great experience, but if they like you they really try to lure you in before telling you the job is straight commission.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 10 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. All pay is commission.