New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Memphis, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. The first one is opening and more of a sales pitch. The 2nd is all about compensation. I have not had the 3rd interview but I'm willing to bet that it's another sales pitch situation

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, he/she talks about New York Life as a company and the lifestyle of an agent. 1:1 with recruiter, talk more about the opportunity itself and what is required of you to be successful. 1:1 with manager to determine fit and if you are 100% sure this is what you want to do.

Interview Questions

• How are you at dealing with fewer successes than failures?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It has two interview process. First interview is that you answered some questions from their websites such as "do you have any sale experience" and other sales experience questions. The interviewer did not ask any question, and just explained the internship process.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process was unclear. They make you do 3 interviews, a complete waste of time. They make you do a full employment and background check which is fine but once you figure out that the job offer is bogus and that nothing is free nor as easily painted from the start: Example; the recruiter will tell you that you will get a base salary while you get your licenses and build your book of business for about 3 years so you can expect both salary and commissions totalling 30k plus a year plus commissions which should place you at a total of 80k a year supposedly. Totally bogus and not true. Once you waste your time meeting with the recruiter one time and 2 times with the partner at the end the following will occur. The partner will tell you that you have his word that you're hired to only find out the ridiculous requirements you'll need to complete in order to get a full-time contract. You have to complete a 200 prospect list which I recommend for anyone NOT to DO, its my believe that once they have access to your contacts its only natural that they'll use it whether you are hired or you willingly leave, so don't do it. Then you have to complete other ridiculous requirements like the completion of $1500 there and another $500 over there and here, then another $2500 here and there all to be completed within 30 days give or take - all of this bogus steps while you're not even officially hired and while the partner will go with you to close deals since you're not licence. If this does not sound bogus to you I don't know what Will. In my opinion and conclusion : if you want to be an insurance agent go yourselves and take the required hours and classes on your own. Work and start as a commission agent. Most companies function this way anyways. My lesson learned. No free lunches in this world, even if it means the training of quality professionals and losing them via greed.

Insurence Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a university career fair, and was contacted the next week to set up an interview. The interview took about an hour and besides the usual run through of my resume and past work experience, it was an informational session on the company and the position. I can definitely say that if you have the slightest bit of doubt that this is the career you want to choose, it isn't for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Mount Laurel, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Met with NYL Partner
    Discussed Job Requirements
    Went for second interview to review compensation structure
    The partner at the office really seemed to like their job. During this process, I was able to tour the office building and meet other employees who also had a positive attitude. When brought in for compensation interview, it was a group interview with 5 other people looking to pursue the same job. NYL will sponsor the employee for the certification exams.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life in September 2016.

Interview

Very easy, ask you some questions, and introduce you to the company and it's strength. The manager was very vague when asking about his team's performance. My advice would be to see if you are able to talk to the agents and get their feedback, especially agents who have not triggered yet. If the recruiter likes you, beware that he/she might smooth talk you in. That's when you should be prepared with a lot of questions and outweigh your pros and cons.

Interview Questions

• Did not really ask me any questions. Just explained company overview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (El Paso, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

They want to make sure you are a people person and extroverted. They prefer sales experience of any kind however your social network will dominate the hiring decision as well as passing the state exam and federal background check. They train you with materials that cost about $100 but they are worth it. (I passed the state exam the first time, which only has a pass rate of about 50% taking it the first time.)

Interview Questions

• What are the key components to selling.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Charlotte, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

It was more like a seminar than an interview . Discussed more about the company. I was told more about how the agent works and also about the company

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Boise, ID).

Interview

Met with the hiring guy after being sought out by him. Easy interview. Very up front and forward about the position. Not much of an interview, but more like a recruitment.