New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2017

2.3

136 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Personable, enjoyable - just long. Walked you through the company and the position - wasn't really a interview setting, more so just a conversation which made it easy and more personable.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Contacted over linkedin and brought in for a couple of interviews. Both of which included personality tests as well as a questionnaire. The first meeting was the bulk of the interview, and the second meeting went over the benefits and what the process would be if I am hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle working on a commission based income?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process literately took forever.... (3 weeks to be exact and that was only round 2 ). The 1st interview was with a recruiter who was very nice and welcoming and made it seem like working for their company would be the best thing ever. However, after it was over she assigned me homework... Literally. The 1st assignment was to get 10 references... not 2 or 3.... 10 . They did not have to be professional they actually preferred it to be personal. after you completed that you'd have to read an entire booklet about N.Y.L and its history, products and their expectations of you. After you finished that you would have to complete another "self assessment" which has to be handed in during your second round interview. During the 1st round they briefly talked about salary information saying that the average is anywhere from $40,000-60,000 a year (entirely commission based ).

The second round interview now I had to wait 2 weeks to schedule ... I got there 10 min early and the guy was literately 25 min late because he was with a client . He Printed out my 1st online self assessment along with a script I'm supposed to follow and a bunch of more information about the company. He explained the salary in more details however the numbers were greatly different saying that the average is now $70,000- 80,000 in the 1st year and explained the league of averages and how it works out. When hes done rambling in circles about the same thing over and over again he finally ask me a few questions which i answered well . After our interview was over he gave me more ... you guessed it! Homework. this assignment now was to get 3 people to actually come in to the office be signed up for New York life( this is where your 10 references come in) . This did not work for me because i recently moved to Atlanta and none of my references could realistically come in. Id have to wait another 2 weeks to schedule another appointment and at that point i decided to terminate my interviewing process. Its very long and daunting. I did not graduate college to go back and do more homework. I did not enjoy. I would rate this entire process a 2 out of 5 stars. Not worth the time wasted.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Memphis, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. The first one is opening and more of a sales pitch. The 2nd is all about compensation. I have not had the 3rd interview but I'm willing to bet that it's another sales pitch situation

Interview Questions

• What are four things you are looking for in a job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Oh my God false promises over the first phone call, then emails, appointments, the manager not showing up for second time, third time finally a man with again false promises!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, he/she talks about New York Life as a company and the lifestyle of an agent. 1:1 with recruiter, talk more about the opportunity itself and what is required of you to be successful. 1:1 with manager to determine fit and if you are 100% sure this is what you want to do.

Interview Questions

• How are you at dealing with fewer successes than failures?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It has two interview process. First interview is that you answered some questions from their websites such as "do you have any sale experience" and other sales experience questions. The interviewer did not ask any question, and just explained the internship process.

Insurence Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2016.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a university career fair, and was contacted the next week to set up an interview. The interview took about an hour and besides the usual run through of my resume and past work experience, it was an informational session on the company and the position. I can definitely say that if you have the slightest bit of doubt that this is the career you want to choose, it isn't for you.