New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2017

2.3

140 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Roseville, CA).

Interview

There was a series of four interviews. A homework assignment was to interview 10 friends as prospective customers. My wife was asked to come to one interview with me. It was not high pressure.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see that I'm stable, professional and willing to prospect for new business.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Louisville, KY) in September 2017.

Interview

The managing partner was very thorough and was very upfront and honest about it being a challenging but rewarding career. Very professional during the interview process. Very clean office, super nice view of the city.

Interview Questions

• How I grew up and what my thoughts were about a lot of things. Seemed very interested in the answers I gave to their questions. They asked great questions that weren’t hard to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (El Paso, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

My interview with New York Life was a 3-tiered process. The first interview was more so a "get to know you," followed by a more career specific interview, and lastly an interview where I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• If you could build your dream career what would it entail?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Personable, enjoyable - just long. Walked you through the company and the position - wasn't really a interview setting, more so just a conversation which made it easy and more personable.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Contacted over linkedin and brought in for a couple of interviews. Both of which included personality tests as well as a questionnaire. The first meeting was the bulk of the interview, and the second meeting went over the benefits and what the process would be if I am hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle working on a commission based income?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process literately took forever.... (3 weeks to be exact and that was only round 2 ). The 1st interview was with a recruiter who was very nice and welcoming and made it seem like working for their company would be the best thing ever. However, after it was over she assigned me homework... Literally. The 1st assignment was to get 10 references... not 2 or 3.... 10 . They did not have to be professional they actually preferred it to be personal. after you completed that you'd have to read an entire booklet about N.Y.L and its history, products and their expectations of you. After you finished that you would have to complete another "self assessment" which has to be handed in during your second round interview. During the 1st round they briefly talked about salary information saying that the average is anywhere from $40,000-60,000 a year (entirely commission based ).

The second round interview now I had to wait 2 weeks to schedule ... I got there 10 min early and the guy was literately 25 min late because he was with a client . He Printed out my 1st online self assessment along with a script I'm supposed to follow and a bunch of more information about the company. He explained the salary in more details however the numbers were greatly different saying that the average is now $70,000- 80,000 in the 1st year and explained the league of averages and how it works out. When hes done rambling in circles about the same thing over and over again he finally ask me a few questions which i answered well . After our interview was over he gave me more ... you guessed it! Homework. this assignment now was to get 3 people to actually come in to the office be signed up for New York life( this is where your 10 references come in) . This did not work for me because i recently moved to Atlanta and none of my references could realistically come in. Id have to wait another 2 weeks to schedule another appointment and at that point i decided to terminate my interviewing process. Its very long and daunting. I did not graduate college to go back and do more homework. I did not enjoy. I would rate this entire process a 2 out of 5 stars. Not worth the time wasted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Memphis, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. The first one is opening and more of a sales pitch. The 2nd is all about compensation. I have not had the 3rd interview but I'm willing to bet that it's another sales pitch situation

Interview Questions

• What are four things you are looking for in a job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Oh my God false promises over the first phone call, then emails, appointments, the manager not showing up for second time, third time finally a man with again false promises!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, he/she talks about New York Life as a company and the lifestyle of an agent. 1:1 with recruiter, talk more about the opportunity itself and what is required of you to be successful. 1:1 with manager to determine fit and if you are 100% sure this is what you want to do.

Interview Questions

• How are you at dealing with fewer successes than failures?   Answer Question