New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Santa Rosa, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

It was long..... We met almost a dozen times. They do a credit check, a background check, and there are mounds of paperwork. Yet you want it, because it's worth it. The office is beautiful. The people in the office are professions and friendly, and it's a great opportunity. It's definitely not an easy job to get. They want to make quadruple sure that you're the real thing. Still go for it. It IS worth it.

Interview Questions

• "How much do you want it?" I know it doesn't seem like a hard question. You could say anything. But they want specifics. They want to know how much you need to make a living, and what desire you have and whether you're willing to work hard for it. It's definitely a loaded question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Met a partner at a school career fair. Very professional and respectful guy. I was invited for an awesome presentation that gave an in depth career overview. Seems like a lucrative career. The interview was one on one with the partner I had met, as he was hiring to fill a position within his team. Straight forward and obvious question like "what motivates you?" and "why do you think you would be a good fit here?" The whole interview took about an hour, there was a lot of good conversation that filled the time. He probably asked me about 8-10 questions of a list on his notepad. Great experience overall.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Cleveland, OH) in May 2011.

Interview

One of the most thorough processes I have ever been through. It was also completed over several weeks, with a lot of scrutiny on my background and financial status. Ability to sell one on one was one of the critical factors that was discussed several times. Also had to speak with several layers of management.

Interview Questions

• Do I have the ability and motivation to speak with family and friends.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

There were a few phone interviews followed by face to face meetings. After being hired and looking into the interview process from the outside I realized how extremely unorganized the process was on the management side. Their job is to keep getting people hired because there is such a high turn over. I felt like I was mislead to think that I would "be in charge of my own success." In reality they have quotas that depend on their agents production and will be an unrelenting driving force in your life.

Interview Questions

• Name 5 personal goals you would like to achieve in the next 5 years.
      Pick from a list attributes that you believe are a part of your personality. Pick the 5 most important and explain why...There were several like this followed by "Do you understand why we are asking these questions."
      1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

In the second round of interviews, not behavioral based. Be ready to answer compensation questions. Everyone at the office was nice and professional. The partner that interviewed me was a great conversationalist and was not afraid to ask the tough questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to make the money that this job can provide?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Harrisburg, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Harrisburg, PA) in August 2010.

Interview

An extended process, with at least 6-8 meetings with management. You are expected to wear formal business attire, be punctual, be prepared, First meeting is group meeting, then one on one meetings are held. A formal background check is required. You initial contract offered will be a temporary contract, with a minimum sales quota is required. If this is not met within 6 months, then you will not be offered a formal contract.

Interview Questions

• You will need to take a test that measured personality   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (South Houston, TX).

Interview

great process and very thorough

Interview Questions

Negotiation

long process but worth it, 4 interviews

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC) in November 2013.

Interview

I had 4 interviews but every day is kind of like an interview. They expect you to hit your projections every week.

Interview Questions

• What were my motivation for working for New York Life.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Contacted over linkedin and brought in for a couple of interviews. Both of which included personality tests as well as a questionnaire. The first meeting was the bulk of the interview, and the second meeting went over the benefits and what the process would be if I am hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle working on a commission based income?   1 Answer