New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

2.2

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Just asked if I had experience, and willing to take the leap. Blew a bunch of smoke

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Nothing, All Commission, no help

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

A recruiter called to schedule the interview. First round interview with a recruiter. Then interview with the manager/ district agent.

Interview Questions

• What is your competitive advantage? Why should I hire you?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Just a bunch of questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Salem, OR).

Interview

I met with a NY Life company representative at a career fair, where the representative asked me to complete a personality quiz/skills assessment on a laptop computer he had at the fair. So after siting in the corner and completing the assessment on the laptop, the results were emailed to the rep and I passed. The assessment was mostly geared toward evaluating your level of persistence/sales aggressiveness and what your pre-conceived ideas were concerning insurance agents in general. After chatting and going over my resume with the representative at the career fair, we set a time to meet for a formal interview.

The formal interview took 3 hours. I was not told this would be the case so I had to miss an appointment I'd scheduled for later that day. 90% of the interview was the same NY Life representative talking at me about their company and then "using me as an example" to go through their sales pitch. This amounted to asking personal questions about my marital status ("What members of your family would you need to help out by leaving life insurance money? ...I assume you don't have a spouse or a long-term partner?"), my age ("So at what age do you plan to retire? ...And how many years do you have until then?"), and my current financial situation (how much money I had in my checking, savings, and any assets/liabilities I had). These questions were incredibly invasive and I can honestly say I was so taken aback by the questions that I ended up answering most of them out of shock. I even told him that I'd never had an interview where an employer asked me about my bank account and he just shrugged it of: "Well we're just having fun here, and you are interviewing with a financial agency after all..."

I really can't recommend NY Life. In the end, they seem to care less about the agents they're hiring and more about the company's reputation. I was even told that "When you're starting out, if you clearly don't have much experience, you can't win people over because of who you are or your dedication to the job, you win them over because of the company you work for."

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting to be asked about my financial status and then told what my net worth was according to the interviewing agent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

They found my resume on the wed, contacted by phone, set up an interview. Basically they were not interviewing me, but advertising this position, trying to convince me to work for them. Since it was 100% commission based position, i decided not to proceed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Knoxville, TN) in May 2011.

Interview

I received an interview through my university's career services department. From the outset, the position description and what the partner/hiring manager was describing seemed widely different. While the job is advertised as a "financial representative" position, it appears to be little more than cut throat sales. They expect you to earn 6k in order to be "triggered" in the first month. This is achieved by selling to your "natural market," i.e. your friends and family. Training is unpaid, and your "base" is actually salary matching at 80% the first year. Therefore, if you are unable to sell your sales goal the first month, you are both fired and in the hole due to your costs associated with training materials. If the interview seems overly easy, it is only because they are trying to sell the company to you, not the other way around.

Interview Questions

• After what I have told you, are you interested in a position with us?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2009.

Interview

They call you ask you to come down and go over the job briefly. They want you to come back a second time to be sure if you are serious. This is a numbers game, if you have a pulse and nothing is on your record you will get a shot.

Negotiation

none because there is no salary.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life in January 2012.

Interview

Just went to the interview today, he mainly talked about the company and the kind of people they're looking for.. Told this was 2 step process, with that interview being the first step. Gave me info & online application to fill out if interested in proceeding to next step. He didn't have too many questions for me, surprisingly. It seemed like he was "selling" the job more than interviewing me!

Interview Questions

• He didn't have too many questions for me, surprisingly. It seemed like he was "selling" the job more than interviewing me!   Answer Question

I'm thinking about it, but cautiously.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Lengthy process. You must get your NYS Life, Accident, & Health License

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX) in September 2012.

Interview

one phone interview, 3 in person interviews. was offered the job after the first interview, the other two were to make sure I really wanted to work at the office

Interview Questions

• where do you want to be in 10 years, none of the questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation its completly comission based