New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 1, 2017

2.3

137 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Roseville, CA).

Interview

There was a series of four interviews. A homework assignment was to interview 10 friends as prospective customers. My wife was asked to come to one interview with me. It was not high pressure.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see that I'm stable, professional and willing to prospect for new business.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Personality test. Introductions to managers. They are testing you to see how you present yourself, what type of suit you are wearing, and if you have a sales personality.

Interview Questions

• Are you an entrepreneur, self-strarter, hard worker?
      Do you like helping people?
      Are you a social person?
      Do you have a network?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Richmond, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Talked about having a list of 100-200 contacts. He showed potential presentation I'd be making for clients. Talked about goals 5 10 and 20+ years out. Very knowledgeable about all questions I asked and able to pin-point some challenges that would need to be addressed in future.

Interview Questions

• Who are 10 people you could call today   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Anchorage, AK) in December 2015.

Interview

3 step process with a personality profile, a list of names of your closest friends and a 3rd interview that includes your spouse. each one tries to garner more buy in on your part. each interview is at least an hour long.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Personable, enjoyable - just long. Walked you through the company and the position - wasn't really a interview setting, more so just a conversation which made it easy and more personable.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Met a partner at a school career fair. Very professional and respectful guy. I was invited for an awesome presentation that gave an in depth career overview. Seems like a lucrative career. The interview was one on one with the partner I had met, as he was hiring to fill a position within his team. Straight forward and obvious question like "what motivates you?" and "why do you think you would be a good fit here?" The whole interview took about an hour, there was a lot of good conversation that filled the time. He probably asked me about 8-10 questions of a list on his notepad. Great experience overall.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Oh my God false promises over the first phone call, then emails, appointments, the manager not showing up for second time, third time finally a man with again false promises!

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Contacted over linkedin and brought in for a couple of interviews. Both of which included personality tests as well as a questionnaire. The first meeting was the bulk of the interview, and the second meeting went over the benefits and what the process would be if I am hired.

Interview Questions

• Can you handle working on a commission based income?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process literately took forever.... (3 weeks to be exact and that was only round 2 ). The 1st interview was with a recruiter who was very nice and welcoming and made it seem like working for their company would be the best thing ever. However, after it was over she assigned me homework... Literally. The 1st assignment was to get 10 references... not 2 or 3.... 10 . They did not have to be professional they actually preferred it to be personal. after you completed that you'd have to read an entire booklet about N.Y.L and its history, products and their expectations of you. After you finished that you would have to complete another "self assessment" which has to be handed in during your second round interview. During the 1st round they briefly talked about salary information saying that the average is anywhere from $40,000-60,000 a year (entirely commission based ).

The second round interview now I had to wait 2 weeks to schedule ... I got there 10 min early and the guy was literately 25 min late because he was with a client . He Printed out my 1st online self assessment along with a script I'm supposed to follow and a bunch of more information about the company. He explained the salary in more details however the numbers were greatly different saying that the average is now $70,000- 80,000 in the 1st year and explained the league of averages and how it works out. When hes done rambling in circles about the same thing over and over again he finally ask me a few questions which i answered well . After our interview was over he gave me more ... you guessed it! Homework. this assignment now was to get 3 people to actually come in to the office be signed up for New York life( this is where your 10 references come in) . This did not work for me because i recently moved to Atlanta and none of my references could realistically come in. Id have to wait another 2 weeks to schedule another appointment and at that point i decided to terminate my interviewing process. Its very long and daunting. I did not graduate college to go back and do more homework. I did not enjoy. I would rate this entire process a 2 out of 5 stars. Not worth the time wasted.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Three interviews consist of: 1) manager getting to know you individually, 2) getting to know the company as a group 3) manager briefing you up how to become an agent.

Interview is very easy. Literally too easy. Just dress up well, read little bit about the company, and show certain interest/curiosity, you'll be hired.