New York Life Insurance Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 3, 2017

2.3

136 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Mount Laurel, NJ) in October 2016.

Interview

Met with NYL Partner
Discussed Job Requirements
Went for second interview to review compensation structure
The partner at the office really seemed to like their job. During this process, I was able to tour the office building and meet other employees who also had a positive attitude. When brought in for compensation interview, it was a group interview with 5 other people looking to pursue the same job. NYL will sponsor the employee for the certification exams.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I replied to a posting on indeed. It was really as simple as saying that you were willing to get the 2-15 and actually doing it. Be prepared to give tons of background information and have a clean criminal history. (preferably no crime).

Interview Questions

• Are you self motivated and able to work without supervision?   2 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process was unclear. They make you do 3 interviews, a complete waste of time. They make you do a full employment and background check which is fine but once you figure out that the job offer is bogus and that nothing is free nor as easily painted from the start: Example; the recruiter will tell you that you will get a base salary while you get your licenses and build your book of business for about 3 years so you can expect both salary and commissions totalling 30k plus a year plus commissions which should place you at a total of 80k a year supposedly. Totally bogus and not true. Once you waste your time meeting with the recruiter one time and 2 times with the partner at the end the following will occur. The partner will tell you that you have his word that you're hired to only find out the ridiculous requirements you'll need to complete in order to get a full-time contract. You have to complete a 200 prospect list which I recommend for anyone NOT to DO, its my believe that once they have access to your contacts its only natural that they'll use it whether you are hired or you willingly leave, so don't do it. Then you have to complete other ridiculous requirements like the completion of $1500 there and another $500 over there and here, then another $2500 here and there all to be completed within 30 days give or take - all of this bogus steps while you're not even officially hired and while the partner will go with you to close deals since you're not licence. If this does not sound bogus to you I don't know what Will. In my opinion and conclusion : if you want to be an insurance agent go yourselves and take the required hours and classes on your own. Work and start as a commission agent. Most companies function this way anyways. My lesson learned. No free lunches in this world, even if it means the training of quality professionals and losing them via greed.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life in September 2016.

Interview

Very easy, ask you some questions, and introduce you to the company and it's strength. The manager was very vague when asking about his team's performance. My advice would be to see if you are able to talk to the agents and get their feedback, especially agents who have not triggered yet. If the recruiter likes you, beware that he/she might smooth talk you in. That's when you should be prepared with a lot of questions and outweigh your pros and cons.

Interview Questions

• Did not really ask me any questions. Just explained company overview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (El Paso, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

They want to make sure you are a people person and extroverted. They prefer sales experience of any kind however your social network will dominate the hiring decision as well as passing the state exam and federal background check. They train you with materials that cost about $100 but they are worth it. (I passed the state exam the first time, which only has a pass rate of about 50% taking it the first time.)

Interview Questions

• What are the key components to selling.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Charlotte, NC) in September 2016.

Interview

It was more like a seminar than an interview . Discussed more about the company. I was told more about how the agent works and also about the company

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Boise, ID).

Interview

Met with the hiring guy after being sought out by him. Easy interview. Very up front and forward about the position. Not much of an interview, but more like a recruitment.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Series of fairly short interviews. Seemed like they wanted to know more about me as a person than as an employee. Got a great vibe, but they didn't say it was 100% commission based until several meetings later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (White Plains, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

3 step interview process, full background check. First interview they assess whether or not you have the right personality for the job. Second is a compensation and training information session.

Interview Questions

• How many meetings do you think you need to book in a week to be successful?   Answer Question

Interviewer made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and I do not believe I would feel comfortable working with their team as a young woman. Interviewer winked at me multiple times, made a comment about my appearance and attributed my past successes to my cheekbones. They claim to be inclusive but the overall feeling I got from the moment I stepped in the office was that this is still a boys' club.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Fairly easy-going. Touch up on the common interview questions (Strengths and weaknesses) and you'll do fine. Have some sales experience and emphasis on that a lot. It will not only help you get the job, but help you excel at actually making money too.