New York Life Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Intern Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.4

Intern Interview

Interview

The first step if I remember correctly is a phone interview. Secondly, there is a one on one interview with the managing partner. The questions are pretty generic such as where have you previously worked, why do you want to intern at New York Life, what is your favorite class and why...etc

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Met NYL recruiters at a university career fair and applied for position online. Received phone call from recruiter to schedule a first round phone interview with HR. Second round interview was also conducted on the phone, this time with the hiring manager. Overall, questions were general and easy: "Why New York Life?" "What do you hope to get out of this internship?"

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Got a phone interview, did not get the offer, was asked pretty difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• had to explain very technical stuff   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone interview.

Intern Interview

Interview

Fairly simple. Met and discussed with a licensed agent as well as a partner of the company. In total there were three interviews. All of the interviews/meetings lasted no longer then thirty minutes. Interviews were in a relaxed environment. I was nervous going into it but felt comfortable once things got started.

Interview Questions

• Questions were relatively general. How to deal with rejection, what are your world concerns, your greatest skill to attribute to the company. They threw a curve ball by asking what my favorite animal was and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fairly strung out. Not completely clear as to what compensation would be.

Intern Interview

Interview

One phone interview with a recruiter for first round of screening.
    Second interview over the phone with potential manager and mentor in a department that the company chooses.
    If that department if not what you are looking for, the whole process is repeated

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Interns make $18 per hour

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

This was the worst interview of my professional career. I met NYL at my university's career fair and they told me about their interesting career opportunities, so I requested an interview. After a pre-interview questionnaire, I wrote them to make sure this is not a sales representative position. They said no.
    At the site, I actually did not get interviewed, but the manager was only talking about the compensation of their "financial planner". Great compensation, interesting compensation, $k compensation. After the compensation talk, I asked, how an internship would actually look like. The manager then told me that they do not take interns, but would put me on hold, so I can start my great career as a "financial planner" right out of college.
    This was a complete joke and waste of my time and uber-money.

Interview Questions

• How much compensation did you get in your previous job?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life in March 2011.

Interview

Recruiter called to set up the initial interview and did the interview the next day. She then set up another interview with the manager I would be working for at the end of that call. The manager called the next day and did the second interview. Both interviews went very well. The first interviewer asked behavioral questions and technical questions about the position. The Manager interview went well, but he didn't seem to be very prepared. It was really just a conversation, not really an interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation because it was an internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Honolulu, HI) in July 2013.

Interview

4 interviews, they require two projects to be done: Project 200 and completion of 30 surveys. You must also pass the Life and Health exam before being hired.

Interview Questions

• If you were to intern here, what is your biggest concern?   Answer Question

Didn't have enough time to study for the exam

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Was racially profiled and told that I was an ideal candidate because I "fit the market for South Asian people", and there for only 4 South Asian agents in the entire office.
    I was not reimbursed for the $60 I had to pay to get to the interview site, and the interviewer showed up 2 hours late.
    Rejected second round offer. Extremely unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions

• Very general conversational questions. Asked where I want to be in 5 years.   Answer Question