New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 19, 2017

2.6

311 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Was more of a description of the job rather than the interview itself. Ask what was my expected salary than told me the job had no base salary. After the interview, I had to fill out a questionnaire to see if I was eligible for the position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online to the posting of the Investment management intern position at New York Life. Was contacted within two weeks of applying and had a phone interview. The interview asked thing about my resume. Was invited for an interview at the office and accepted. Was suppose to have three sessions of interviews but one of them was in a meeting that ran over. Was Interviewed first by the man who called me originally. Spoke about equity and prodded to see how much I knew. Second person was from fixed income and she asked technical questions along with questions about statistical concepts.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me the state of investments in the U.S equity market   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was contacted for the new 2018 Tech Internship position and did two behavioral interviews, both covering the same questions/information which was a big red flag because it sounded like my interviewers were not communicating since I ended up saying the same thing to two different people. After that, they never contacted me back, just complete ghosting. Sounded like they weren't used to anything to do with tech recruitment at all. A little annoying considering the time I wasted, but I'm interning at Google this summer instead so I know it's probably not an issue with me :)

Financial Professaional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Anchorage, AK) in November 2017.

Interview

DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF PROFESSIONAL CONNECTIONS (see below)!

New York life seems like a really great company, but I was very disappointed by their interview process. It takes a lot of time and effort! I spent about 7.5 hours combined before reaching the point where I was told most candidates realize the job isn't for them and walk away... At this point, I walked away as well, which I will explain further below.

I was cold-emailed, asked to come in and discuss the position with the recruiter, but this was really a full-on interview. He told me all about the company and the amazing perks of being employed there. He told me it would take an hour, but it took an hour and a half. My current manager was not happy I did not return to work when I said I would...
    At the end he gave me a paper and asked me to write down the names of others he could recruit after my interviews with him were complete. I really did not like throwing out people's names and contact info. without prior authorization, but I did as I was told.

He asked me to apply online that night. This took another hour and a half. The application is very long. They want to know where you've lived and worked the past ten years (and you cannot leave any gaps), as well as listing extensive previous employer info. and references.

He also gave me a questionnaire to fill out. This literally took me another 2.5 hours. It is very long and extremely hard to write in the small space provided. Get your pencil and eraser ready, because you'll be writing and re-writing each line a several times.

I was called back in two days later for a second interview. This took about another hour and a half before it was cut short. We reached the point where he told me that most people are discouraged and realize the company is not a good fit for them. It was all about networking. I was never told I would need to find my own clients. I figured I might be given leads or something.
    He asked how many friends/acquaintances I could agree to meet to talk about selling them insurance. I gave a low number because I just don't have a lot of personal connections I can confidently rely on. He told me that successful agents are very visible in the community and attended many groups, clubs and organizations. As a college student, my connections are all other college students... People not very likely to buy life insurance...
    From here he told me that I probably wouldn't make it far in the business and asked if I wanted to continue the interview. Discouraged, I left.
    If they know that this is the point where most people leave the interviewing process, why not cover this first instead of consuming 7 combined hours of the interviewee's time...? This really upset me, but I left respectfully knowing that even if I eventually gain the necessary connection, I would never apply here again.

Overall: If he was upfront with me from day-one about the first meeting being an actual interview, and that I would be responsible for bringing in all of my own clients (based on my own connections), I would not have spent a combined 7 hours applying and interviewing.
    Don't get me wrong, it seems like a really good company, and the recruiter was very friendly... I just wish he had been more honest and transparent about the interview process and requirements of the position before I spent so much of my time before getting to the point where he said 'most candidates are discouraged' and walk away.

Interview Questions

• Generic interview questions:

What is your greatest strength?
      What is your greatest weakness?
      Why are you interested in a position with New York Life?   Answer Question

New York Life Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Head of Engagement Communications

Thanks for your feedback. We realize that the interview process can sometimes be lengthy, and we are currently evaluating the issue to find ways to make it a more streamlined experience for the... More

Investment Group Interview

Interview

The people that I interviewed with were very friendly and the interview wasn't very hard. The first round lasted about an hour, the second round 2 h. The interview mainly focuses on:
    basic financial knowledge
    communication skill
    statistical knowledge
    project experiences

Interview Questions

• forward pricing, volatility, multi-factor model, asset allocation, PCA   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Creve Coeur, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Creve Coeur, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews (if you make it that far), first was to see if you have chemistry and for the managing partner to see if you could be a good fit personality wise. If you are offered a second interview you fill out a personality assessment, if you pass then you continue and fill out the online application. There is also a value based sheet to fill out that you will talk about during the second interview. Lots of perks to the job, but they don't provide any clients and the salary base isn't much to live on if you're struggling with finding clients. Reward is great if you can put in the work and effort needed to succeed.

Interview Questions

• What will make you stand out above the other candidates that we'll remember you by?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

three rounds of interview and a questionnaire. the first round was about introducing yourself and why do you want to have a career with New York life.You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you can be a perfect fit for this role?   1 Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Interview

Not bad...
    You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. 3 rounds of interviews and a questionnaire. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another. Tedious...

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Manchester, NH) in October 2017.

Interview

Met at a career fair acting like a big shot calling himself a partner which typically is a big deal at a company. I asked if they were hiring for anything other than sales and he said yes we could definitely find a spot for other types of people. Went in for an interview and the guy talked about how ambitious he is and how he is making so much money. I did not care about any of that, and I kept asking where I can go other than sales. He proceeded to show to me organization chart and how I would need to start in sales for a few years before I do anything else. A partner is what they call their people in the second of many phases, so calling himself a partner when that basically means a manager is very misleading. I had no intention of joining as a sales agent, so he just wasted my time and had me take an online test. He said that he liked me and wanted to connect me to an office closer to home for another interview, but I never heard back from him. Good. I did not want to hear anything else that pompous salesman had to say. He represented the company in a very bad, materialistic way and lied to me. Very unprofessional experience.

It was a very typical,casual screening type of interview and after that there would have needed to be 3 more interviews I believe.

Interview Questions

• General screening questions to get a feel for what direction I am headed in.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Carmel, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

It started off with a typical interview process. The manager gave a good background and summary of the company (which was more like a sales pitch for their products) and standard questions. The interview eventually led to him asking me "how many people do you know in this area?" It was explained to me that these people, my friends and family, would be my first clients and ultimately lead to the success or failure of my client network. At that point, I told the hiring manager that I waasn't comfortable asking my friends and family to be my clients, or rely on them for the success of my work. I told him I wasn't the right candidate for the type of position, hoping to end the interview right then. He got very defensive, and explained how I should want to "help" my friends and family, and continued on with what was more of a sales pitch than an interview. I had to stand up to let him know I was serious about ending the interview because he would not stop going on about how I should "want to help" my friends and family. If you are considering this position at NYL, know that you are paid on commission only and will be expected to bug the people you know to sell their services. Though you are working "for" NYL, you will ultimately be on your own. It's definitely not for everyone.

Interview Questions

• How many people in this area do you know.   1 Answer