New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.6

Insurance Sales Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I got a phone interview the very next day after my application. The interviewer is very kind and detail orientated. Questions are mainly about the requirements listed in the post and background.

Interview Questions

• What is your level of education?   2 Answers

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later was asked to email HR about setting up a phone interview. I set up the interview, got it confirmed, interview day comes and I never got a call. I emailed the person I set up the interview with asking to reschedule and never got a response. Very unprofessional in my eyes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I spent 1000 dollars to New York for this interview. It was horrible, the interview was scheduled on 1:30pm, however, I wait more than 15 min for the HR to see me. At the beginning of interview, she asked me to tell about myself. After that, when I mention I'm international student. she said this position didn't provide the sponsorship. You can tell me this before I spent the money for hotel and flight. totally waste money and time for this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass the licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. Totally commission-based...some Republican drivel about "eating what you kill" (ad nauseam). Super entry-level.

Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a cheap suit to work, keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. I think there's probably more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman in order to meet weekly/monthly sales targets.

Oh yeah, they run an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of historical detail, addresses, and contacts when I applied for "Secret" clearance with the State Department! Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   2 Answers

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They​ take you through a series of interviews, 4 in total. I only did the first one which was just to get to know you and for them to familiarize you with New York Life and the position you are applying for. They were friendly and welcoming. However, they should be more upfront about the fact that you are purely compensated by commission (i.e. no base salary). Because of that I chose not to continue.

Interview Questions

• What intrigued you about New York Life?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

The managing partner reached out to me an offered the opportunity to begin my career with NYL. The first interview was a 1:1 introduction of getting to know one another a little background on the company. They have you complete a test similar to a Strength Finders quiz to gauge how well you might fit into the role. The second meeting was about compensation breakdown as well as the procedure for securing new clients.

Interview Questions

• If you're best friend and I were alone, what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

New Business Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paoli, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Paoli, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Terrible. Left feeling upset and disappointed. Recruiting process is not good. Play with your career. Don't get back to you unless you get back to them. Gave the job to someone else and kept me on the hook until the person they want clears the background . Said you would know something in two weeks, I am unemployed and really needed the job. Dropped everything with little notice to run to their interview. They say in their email 2 weeks. I asked the recruiter two weeks ago would I know either way. She said yes. Because I didn't I called to find out they offered the job to someone else. I asked when they did that since I have been waiting for two weeks after two interviews with one day notice to attend. When questioned when the person was offered, the recruiter stated that they gave the job to someone else and are waiting for them to clear the background. So, why did I have to call them to find that out. Why, they had me on ice and maybe others waiting for a job to find out if the person they made the offer to cleared the background. I had to call the recruiter to find out. No telling how long they would have played me second fiddle. For one who dictates customer service and caring, they treated me less than that. Very disappointed in how I was treated by the Recruiting and recruiting process. Not a good feel good experience and I don't recommend. Very disappointed. I wished them luck on who they selected and I let the Recruiter know how I felt being played second fiddle, not deserving of a call when they had offered someone else the job. Not a stand up interview process.

Interview Questions

• how do I basically sympathize with salesman who need their money   2 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers