New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Life Agent Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.3

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was called on several small interviews and was told to take a personality assessment. If I showed that I was good with sales, they would call for the next interview. Where they would further discuss the details. After about two meetings they ask you to take study and take the life and health exam

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Lengthy but I like that. It shows they are not just hiring anyone. However, they make you start "working" as if you have been officially hired without finishing their hiring process. Unfortunately, after two months of doing work for them and letting friends and family know that I started working there, they have decided they wouldn't want to go forward because of answers on my application. It was extremely unprofessional. I would advise whoever is applying to make sure they get officially hired before starting putting any work and go to training and marketing yourself. I've never experienced such lack of professionalism and carelessness.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you to reach out to your warm market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Memphis, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. The first one is opening and more of a sales pitch. The 2nd is all about compensation. I have not had the 3rd interview but I'm willing to bet that it's another sales pitch situation

Interview Questions

• What are four things you are looking for in a job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Fort Wayne, IN) in January 2017.

Interview

I had three separate interviews with the branch manager. The first one was with him and his assistant that allowed us to get to know each other and tell me about the company. The second was more in depth about the job and questions I had. The final interview was more about how compensation works and why I should work for them.

Interview Questions

• If someone that knew you was asked to describe you using five adjectives what would the be?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, he/she talks about New York Life as a company and the lifestyle of an agent. 1:1 with recruiter, talk more about the opportunity itself and what is required of you to be successful. 1:1 with manager to determine fit and if you are 100% sure this is what you want to do.

Interview Questions

• How are you at dealing with fewer successes than failures?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

I was called to go in for interview and dress professionally. I was ready and I research the company with the understanding I'll be working out of Glendale office. When I went in I was ready for at leat an hour interview and I had questions to ask. However, the young lady that interviewed me )later find out is recruiter working part time making $15.00 an hour). She didn't have much to say and I asked her my first quest and she didn't answer my question I asked again and she said that my job to sell insurance and she didn't want to explain to me the pay either. I didn't like the company or what they represent.

Interview Questions

• She didn't ask me any questions really. She just said if I know about the them. I said yes and she said about selling insurance and that I have to bring my own leads that was it. Then she said are you interested to work for us and that was it.   1 Answer

New York Life Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Bridgewater, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (East Bridgewater, MA).

Interview

Four rounds of interviews; they want to know if you look and smell nice and can represent the company in an excellent light. They really don't want you schlepping insurance and Annuities to your family, but they do want you to grow your network exponentially; the interviews are designed to see if you have ability to get new leads and can wheel and deal with anybody; smart sharp people

Interview Questions

• Can you relate to people, or how do you relate to people, ie family, colleagues and strangers   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, you make nothing unless you sell. You don't get any commissions until you reach a certain initial target point. Everybody achieves this in 1-2 sales (yourself and a family member).