New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 8, 2017

2.3

450 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was tough interview process. I went through 4 interviews before I was hired. The first one is them checking to see if you fit, the second is them selling themselves to you, the third is them explaining what they expect from you, and the fourth is to bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in selling life insurance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Great process, interesting questions, and assignments to find your motivation and career objectives. They also evaluate your ability to sell and close your potential clients and your prospecting skills and motivation to be self-driven and go above your means.

Interview Questions

• Questions about your background, previous job relevant experience with people and selling. Also questions about your objectives, life goals and things closest to your heart.   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Roseville, CA).

Interview

There was a series of four interviews. A homework assignment was to interview 10 friends as prospective customers. My wife was asked to come to one interview with me. It was not high pressure.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see that I'm stable, professional and willing to prospect for new business.   1 Answer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

SO far so good, Manager took a lot of time to answer all of my questions. They asked me about my background. Spend a lot of time explaining how the company system works

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Louisville, KY) in September 2017.

Interview

The managing partner was very thorough and was very upfront and honest about it being a challenging but rewarding career. Very professional during the interview process. Very clean office, super nice view of the city.

Interview Questions

• How I grew up and what my thoughts were about a lot of things. Seemed very interested in the answers I gave to their questions. They asked great questions that weren’t hard to answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Norfolk, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

The first interview was simply to get to know me. The agent who conducted the interview was very nice and straightforward about what I would need to do in the job. New York Life very obviously wants to hire you if you will put in the hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals in your current job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Charlotte, AR) in August 2017.

Interview

First interview was great, they just try to get to know you to see if your personality and motives would be a good fit for the position. They'll also tell you a little bit of prelim info about what the job entails and will ask some questions.

New York Life Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

There are a series of interviews an re-interviews. Once selected, there is a month of classes. These classes are not optional. You must also take an online test and pass a state exam. Then, there is one month of full-time classes. It is impossible to have a second job. The training is great, but it is 100% commission. You are not paid for any of your time or training.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very easy. It consisted of three different interviews with the same hiring manager. The first one was very "laid back", more of a get to know each other type of interview. The next two interviews were more of what you would expect from a job interview about work experience, what you can bring, etc. After each interview, I was asked to do a little work (like homework) between the interviews. This involved reading or reaching out to friends over the phone for a survey. When the interviews concluded there is one more step before being hired. You must take a 20hr (didn't take me that long) course and pass a state license exam to sell insurance.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Easy, Relaxed one on one interview. Felt more personal but had the person interviewing speaking a lot in regards to "how they made it". How you have to go hard and find leads.

Interview Questions

• Am I a business person? How would I feel about working based on commission only   2 Answers