New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

2.4

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

Over 30 questions some of the same questions does not give people a chance interviewed with vice president she suck never would work out as long as she's there

Interview Questions

• Name a time you made a mistake at work   1 Answer

Investment Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was a little MLM / fraud like. I recognize that NYL is a well established company, but they need to revisit their recruiting process. Upon applying, I received an email inviting me to interview. When I arrived, I interviewed with the district sales manager, whose interview style was to flip through a packet of info to show me that NYL was legitimate. I then took an assessment, and was given "homework", as he called it, to fill out a questionnaire. He indicated that during the next visit we would be reviewing my answers and seeing if NYL would be a good fit or not. He also stated that we would review my assessment scoring at that time. This interview was an hour.
    During our followup he shared that I had received "the highest assessment scoring he has seen". Not surprised based on my sales experience. The second interview he discussed more of why NYL was a good company, and about how they wanted to grow this area. The second interview lasted an hour as well. I was then asked to go to the corporate office, 40 minutes north, to participate in a training. I was told that they would go over Marketing and Training. As of this stage, I wasn't yet offered employment. Following that 1.5 hour unpaid meeting (still not even an employee?) I was invited back to talk about the commission scale. Another 1.5 hr meeting, 40 minutes away.
    Unless you like to be jerked around, don't interview for NYL unless you have no other options or are interested in their commission only lengthy interview process.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable selling life insurance to your whole family?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Way too much like a MLM

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

They recruiter claimed that the position was for being a financial advisor. But it was clear it was just a life insurance agent position. They claimed you can take the series 7 exam, but what I noticed with all the employees, no one gets to take the series 7 unless you have been in the business for YEARS! Don't plan on doing anything else but selling life insurance on the street.

Interview Questions

• What salary would you like to have?   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Charleston, SC).

Interview

A friend who works at the company recommended me to join. I contacted a hiring manager by email referencing the recommendation. Promptly we started exchanging emails and talked on the phone. I agreed to drive a couple of hours to meet him at his HQ office in Charleston. Turned out to be a VERY swanky prestige suite in historic downtown.

When the manager came to welcome me he invited me to his office. He had a MASSIVE modern desk which he sat behind in a big chair, and I was waved to the chair in front. There was a vertical panel in the desk which blocked me from sitting comfortably. The place seemed calculated to impress and intimidate.

We had a good interview, focusing mostly on personal character and aspirations, and somewhat on industry knowledge. It was a very challenging interview which I enjoyed. He had a really good computer based presentation about NY Life careers. (I asked him for a copy which he was unable to provide.)

The national company has special hiring initiatives for various demographic niches. Interesting to me, they have one for LGBT agents and markets, and the literature was in the foyer so I felt comfortable talking to him about that aspect of how I could reach out for prospects. They are big on career planning and envisioning futures with the company.

NY Life requires a very very thorough scrutiny of the candidates, which is confidence-inspiring about the successful personnel, if you the candidate are not overwhelmed by it. I was required to submit EXTREMELY detailed information and answer multiple questionnaires that are all intended to expose everything "good, bad, or ugly." Some was done by email, some in person, some with a secure special online portal.

The company has a whole separate department that reviews all these materials and must approve you. I already had an insurance producer license and had worked in the field so I had done the credentialing and exam process already. NY Life has higher standards than most because I got a new level of examination.

I highly recommend to be prepared by pulling your credit reports because the data summarized on them is extremely handy to answer the questions with precision. Also, if there is any kind of false negative information in your reports that you have not already fixed before, it is going to be a problem. Also, any TRUE negative information is going to require information, explanation, possible documentation. I was required to produce an actual copy of a court document for a bankruptcy discharge (8 years ago and no problems since then). [Just as a side note, I was able to retrieve it electronically in no time using PACE (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). I believe you have to have an EIN tax number to use PACE.]

NY Life gave me a whole fresh new round of scouring for dirt. When I was eventually approved they literally said I was "clean."

Interview Questions

• I think he asked "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Lots of interest in personal goals.   Answer Question

To answer this Glassdoor questionnaire I'm asked if I got an offer. Well, at a later point, I declined to pursue the opportunity further down the path, and the hiring manager still wanted to recruit me. We were still pre-offer. I was left with a great impression of this company. Just not a perfect fit for me at this time. The most important factor is that the market I prefer to work with has a lower income level than the optimal NY Life customer.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Santa Rosa, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

It was long..... We met almost a dozen times. They do a credit check, a background check, and there are mounds of paperwork. Yet you want it, because it's worth it. The office is beautiful. The people in the office are professions and friendly, and it's a great opportunity. It's definitely not an easy job to get. They want to make quadruple sure that you're the real thing. Still go for it. It IS worth it.

Interview Questions

• "How much do you want it?" I know it doesn't seem like a hard question. You could say anything. But they want specifics. They want to know how much you need to make a living, and what desire you have and whether you're willing to work hard for it. It's definitely a loaded question.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Financial Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York Life in May 2009.

Interview

The people were awesome that I met. I had to do a lot of work for the second interview and fill out a booklet and basically spend hours writing about my future plans. The second interview consisted of a panel of 3 people shooting questions about my sales personality. I was asked if I knew a lot of people in the area.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edina, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Edina, MN) in April 2016.

Interview

Multiple meetings with numerous hiring managers. In-depth testing regarding personality type - sales- presentation skills...etc. Challenging to say the least to get through the interview process. A lot of role playing and presentations. Numerous knowledge and product tests.

Interview Questions

• How many Annuities did you sell a month in your previous role as a Sales Rep?   1 Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interviewer sounded more like a robot reading word for word from a script. It is very difficult to read a person over the phone and even more difficult when there is no room to really get to know the person or what type of personality they possess.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Lakewood, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process was great! I interviewed with multiple people, multiple times until my last interview with the CVP. I was relaxed & didn't stress myself with the multiple questions that were asked. Great experience overall!

Interview Questions

• What made you want to work for New York Life?   2 Answers

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trumbull, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Trumbull, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

I spoke to the New York Life Insurance representatives at a trade show and was encouraged to contact the HR administrator for a first appointment. NYLI has a four-step interview process, with the first appointment serving as a time to sell yourself and to listen to what is going to be asked of you. This is followed by taking individual assessment tests and if you pass the review, you are asked to call back the following morning to find this out. At this point, you will be told if you passed or not and if so, you will schedule a second appointment (always the same person), usually for the following week and you are given "homework" to do in the meantime. The second appointment is geared around meeting some of the other associates for a Q&A session with each, followed by further evaluation and if you pass, you are asked back for a third interview, where compensation and expectations are outlined. If there is synchronicity, you will be asked back for a fourth and final appointment, which is also considered to be akin to your first day at work.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I wanted to work in insurance and why I chose New York Life. These are not simple questions.   1 Answer
    • I was asked if I was willing to work with a commission and bonus based compensation structure and if I was willing to treat my job as my own business, complete with filing my own State and Federal taxes quarterly and annually.   1 Answer