New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,150 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process had three rounds. Two technical rounds to test the knowledge of technologies mentioned in the resume. Both the technical rounds will have at least 2 programming questions related to data-structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Will not disclose because of agreement   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (El Paso, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

My interview with New York Life was a 3-tiered process. The first interview was more so a "get to know you," followed by a more career specific interview, and lastly an interview where I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• If you could build your dream career what would it entail?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I submit my resume through school career fair and applied online. About on week later I was asked to set a phone interview. It was a 30 minutes phone interview, must about your experience showing on your resume and typical behavioral questions

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Schaumburg, IL).

Interview

3 interview process. first phone and the last two are in person. 1st interview is to see if you fit the role. the next two they will ask about your resume and how you would be a good fit for the company.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Austin, TX).

Interview

The usual questions: strengths, weaknesses, motivation. The interviewers were very friendly and made the process comfortable. Only reason I rejected the job was because I was returning to play another year of college soccer.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? will you sell to family? Are you entrepreneurial? Can you take no for an answer?   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I met the NYL recruiters in ASNY Career Fair in mid-September and then they told me to apply online. I got the first-round phone interview in early-October. The interview asked me basic question about why actuarial science, why NYL, etc. It was pretty easy and predictable. After the first phone interview, I waited for like a month to hear back from them for a second phone interview. It was very similar to the first one but with a different actuary. Then, the process was expedited. I heard back from them for an on-site interview 3 days later and went to the Home Office in NYC. There, I met 5 actuaries, including very high-up people and 2 actuarial students for a lunch interview. The questions in the on-site interview were a little different from the previous two and make sure you understand the life insurance industry and different products of NYL. Since I have an outstanding offer from another company, NYL was able to get back to me the next day of the on-site interview and gave me the offer. Overall, the process was pretty long but I did enjoy meeting all the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why actuarial science? Why NYL? Describe one of the product at NYL.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Hiring manager spent some time explaining the career path for a NYL Agent, how commission structure works, and describing the type of role the NYL Agent holds in the company.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (White Plains, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Meeting with inside sales manager who’d becomes your partner / trainer and ÿinvitation to work compensation training learning how to get paid and the training process. The process for getting licensed.

Interview Questions

• Conversational. Seeing if your trainable. Take a test. Explain the business.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in November 2017.

Interview

The first interview was more of a presentation about the company with only one question about myself in the hour long meeting. I was scheduled for a second interview, but declined after being hired for a different job. At that time, the recruiter began to insult my former job choices, and gave me unsolicited advice about what I needed to do to increase my personal status in life. I was quite offended. Recruiter also had very poor grammar which I found to be very unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Creve Coeur, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Creve Coeur, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews (if you make it that far), first was to see if you have chemistry and for the managing partner to see if you could be a good fit personality wise. If you are offered a second interview you fill out a personality assessment, if you pass then you continue and fill out the online application. There is also a value based sheet to fill out that you will talk about during the second interview. Lots of perks to the job, but they don't provide any clients and the salary base isn't much to live on if you're struggling with finding clients. Reward is great if you can put in the work and effort needed to succeed.

Interview Questions

• What will make you stand out above the other candidates that we'll remember you by?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in January 2017.

Interview

A couple interviews for the manager the ability to assess your skills and capabilities as well as your network and current position. If you are offered a position you have to pass a health/insurance exam then multiple other financial exams to sell variable products.

Interview Questions

• How influential do you think you can be to your network?   1 Answer