New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,152 Interview Reviews

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Creve Coeur, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Creve Coeur, MO) in November 2017.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews (if you make it that far), first was to see if you have chemistry and for the managing partner to see if you could be a good fit personality wise. If you are offered a second interview you fill out a personality assessment, if you pass then you continue and fill out the online application. There is also a value based sheet to fill out that you will talk about during the second interview. Lots of perks to the job, but they don't provide any clients and the salary base isn't much to live on if you're struggling with finding clients. Reward is great if you can put in the work and effort needed to succeed.

Interview Questions

• What will make you stand out above the other candidates that we'll remember you by?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Atlanta, GA) in November 2017.

Interview

The first interview was more of a presentation about the company with only one question about myself in the hour long meeting. I was scheduled for a second interview, but declined after being hired for a different job. At that time, the recruiter began to insult my former job choices, and gave me unsolicited advice about what I needed to do to increase my personal status in life. I was quite offended. Recruiter also had very poor grammar which I found to be very unprofessional.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (White Plains, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Meeting with inside sales manager who’d becomes your partner / trainer and ÿinvitation to work compensation training learning how to get paid and the training process. The process for getting licensed.

Interview Questions

• Conversational. Seeing if your trainable. Take a test. Explain the business.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

I met the NYL recruiters in ASNY Career Fair in mid-September and then they told me to apply online. I got the first-round phone interview in early-October. The interview asked me basic question about why actuarial science, why NYL, etc. It was pretty easy and predictable. After the first phone interview, I waited for like a month to hear back from them for a second phone interview. It was very similar to the first one but with a different actuary. Then, the process was expedited. I heard back from them for an on-site interview 3 days later and went to the Home Office in NYC. There, I met 5 actuaries, including very high-up people and 2 actuarial students for a lunch interview. The questions in the on-site interview were a little different from the previous two and make sure you understand the life insurance industry and different products of NYL. Since I have an outstanding offer from another company, NYL was able to get back to me the next day of the on-site interview and gave me the offer. Overall, the process was pretty long but I did enjoy meeting all the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Why actuarial science? Why NYL? Describe one of the product at NYL.   Answer Question

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume at a school career fair. A couple weeks later, I got in touch through email with a New York Life actuarial analyst. Then, we scheduled a time for the phone interview. About 1 week or 2 after the phone interview, I was extended the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me the difference between a Universal Life product and a Whole Life product.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

three rounds of interview and a questionnaire. the first round was about introducing yourself and why do you want to have a career with New York life.You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you can be a perfect fit for this role?   1 Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Interview

Not bad...
    You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. 3 rounds of interviews and a questionnaire. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another. Tedious...

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was on campus- behavioral, Second round was a Super day in New York- included 4 interviews back to back, all behavioral
    Everyone was very polite, I received an offer 2 weeks after interviewing

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Several step interview process, they don't care about your experience or qualifications they just want bodies. They also want you to harass family and friends in to buying life insurance.

Interview Questions

• Very few traditional interview questions, it was less of an interview and more sales pitch on the position.   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Manchester, NH) in October 2017.

Interview

Met at a career fair acting like a big shot calling himself a partner which typically is a big deal at a company. I asked if they were hiring for anything other than sales and he said yes we could definitely find a spot for other types of people. Went in for an interview and the guy talked about how ambitious he is and how he is making so much money. I did not care about any of that, and I kept asking where I can go other than sales. He proceeded to show to me organization chart and how I would need to start in sales for a few years before I do anything else. A partner is what they call their people in the second of many phases, so calling himself a partner when that basically means a manager is very misleading. I had no intention of joining as a sales agent, so he just wasted my time and had me take an online test. He said that he liked me and wanted to connect me to an office closer to home for another interview, but I never heard back from him. Good. I did not want to hear anything else that pompous salesman had to say. He represented the company in a very bad, materialistic way and lied to me. Very unprofessional experience.

It was a very typical,casual screening type of interview and after that there would have needed to be 3 more interviews I believe.

Interview Questions

• General screening questions to get a feel for what direction I am headed in.   1 Answer