New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017
1,017 Interview Reviews

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass the licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. Totally commission-based...some Republican drivel about "eating what you kill" (ad nauseam). Super entry-level.

Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a cheap suit to work, keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. I think there's probably more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman in order to meet weekly/monthly sales targets.

Oh yeah, they run an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of historical detail, addresses, and contacts when I applied for "Secret" clearance with the State Department! Absurd.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

You have a phone interview, if you pass that process you will be sent to an in-person interview. After the in person interview, just background check and drug screening. The interview process was pretty quick and New York Life seems like a great company to work for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer talked a lot about what it would be like working as a sales agent for NYL. They basically will train you and you work on commission. The interviewer talked more than I did. She didn't even have my file on hand, didn't remember what and why my resume was chosen to the interview at the first place. She told me she had 8 interviews that day and I was her 9th interviewee. Felt like she also worked on commission to get as much people to work for them as possible. There were so many licenses I need to get in order to do the job, so in the end I felt like it was not for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

The managing partner reached out to me an offered the opportunity to begin my career with NYL. The first interview was a 1:1 introduction of getting to know one another a little background on the company. They have you complete a test similar to a Strength Finders quiz to gauge how well you might fit into the role. The second meeting was about compensation breakdown as well as the procedure for securing new clients.

Interview Questions

• If you're best friend and I were alone, what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was called on several small interviews and was told to take a personality assessment. If I showed that I was good with sales, they would call for the next interview. Where they would further discuss the details. After about two meetings they ask you to take study and take the life and health exam

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview is you meeting the recruiting partner. He knew nothing about me coming in so I presume it was a recruiter that reached out to me via ziprecruiter. Brief explanation about the company and gives his background and I was asked to give mine. Left resume with him and went to take the personality test. Was asked to come back for the career overview where they lay down the history of NYL, the comparisons with other companies, how clients benefit, and how you would get paid. Based on others who were there, there is no discrimination on who they interview. People of all ages, gender, and ethnicity. It is 0 base salary however if you have a great network and/or can socialize, there is a good chance you could do well. Its not one of those 9-5 jobs where you sit on your tail. You work for your earnings and it can be quit lucrative if successful.

Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had two interviews with the same partner. First was all about asking about myself. Second was about the organization and the products available. Third is about the compensation structure. Interviewer was incredibly passionate. Overall it was a great experience.