New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,062 Interview Reviews

2.4

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Eugene, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

It's a long process. The first day they ask all about you, then talk about the company and give you a test to see if you can continue pursuing a career with NYL. Next time they ask more about you then you learn more about what NYL sells and how they do it. Gave up after this as it did not seem right for me

Interview Questions

• Name someone close to you and how would they describe you in 3 words   1 Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

They​ take you through a series of interviews, 4 in total. I only did the first one which was just to get to know you and for them to familiarize you with New York Life and the position you are applying for. They were friendly and welcoming. However, they should be more upfront about the fact that you are purely compensated by commission (i.e. no base salary). Because of that I chose not to continue.

Interview Questions

• What intrigued you about New York Life?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at New York Life (San Antonio, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Four step process. I completed the first step and have to schedule the second. The second is where they explain how the company actually works so you can try and decide if the job is a good fit for you during the third step of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you not start your own business before trying to get into the financial industry. I think they are wondering how you became interestedly getting into the business side of life. It is not a make or break question in the first interview. The first interview just seemed to be more of a friendly encounter. The second meeting is with your recruiter and manager from what I understand.   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process was a three part interview. I actually did my first interview on the phone and it went really well. The interviewer sold the job really well and I was very excited to be asked to come in for a second interview.

The second interview was not really an interview, but more like an informational meeting. You are bombarded with a lot of information about life insurance products and the compensation package. The compensation package is kind of confusing, but basically it is 100% commission, so if you don't sell anything, you don't make a lot of money. They also hint at the fact you will be "building a network" from your friends and family, and what this means is that you are going to bug your friends and family about life insurance to the point where they are annoyed with you.

Needless to say I declined to take the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you ask for the person to fully explain the compensation package because it seemed designed to make it seem better than it actually is.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   2 Answers

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

You have a phone interview, if you pass that process you will be sent to an in-person interview. After the in person interview, just background check and drug screening. The interview process was pretty quick and New York Life seems like a great company to work for.

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interviewer talked a lot about what it would be like working as a sales agent for NYL. They basically will train you and you work on commission. The interviewer talked more than I did. She didn't even have my file on hand, didn't remember what and why my resume was chosen to the interview at the first place. She told me she had 8 interviews that day and I was her 9th interviewee. Felt like she also worked on commission to get as much people to work for them as possible. There were so many licenses I need to get in order to do the job, so in the end I felt like it was not for me.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2017.

Interview

The managing partner reached out to me an offered the opportunity to begin my career with NYL. The first interview was a 1:1 introduction of getting to know one another a little background on the company. They have you complete a test similar to a Strength Finders quiz to gauge how well you might fit into the role. The second meeting was about compensation breakdown as well as the procedure for securing new clients.

Interview Questions

• If you're best friend and I were alone, what would he or she say about you?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with HR then one-one with department members. Told me the day-to-day responsibilities. Weeks later and went to the application site and saw I was not selected. No email from HR and to find out myself. Not very professional.