New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,081 Interview Reviews

2.4

New Business Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paoli, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life (Paoli, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

Terrible. Left feeling upset and disappointed. Recruiting process is not good. Play with your career. Don't get back to you unless you get back to them. Gave the job to someone else and kept me on the hook until the person they want clears the background . Said you would know something in two weeks, I am unemployed and really needed the job. Dropped everything with little notice to run to their interview. They say in their email 2 weeks. I asked the recruiter two weeks ago would I know either way. She said yes. Because I didn't I called to find out they offered the job to someone else. I asked when they did that since I have been waiting for two weeks after two interviews with one day notice to attend. When questioned when the person was offered, the recruiter stated that they gave the job to someone else and are waiting for them to clear the background. So, why did I have to call them to find that out. Why, they had me on ice and maybe others waiting for a job to find out if the person they made the offer to cleared the background. I had to call the recruiter to find out. No telling how long they would have played me second fiddle. For one who dictates customer service and caring, they treated me less than that. Very disappointed in how I was treated by the Recruiting and recruiting process. Not a good feel good experience and I don't recommend. Very disappointed. I wished them luck on who they selected and I let the Recruiter know how I felt being played second fiddle, not deserving of a call when they had offered someone else the job. Not a stand up interview process.

Interview Questions

• how do I basically sympathize with salesman who need their money   2 Answers

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was called on several small interviews and was told to take a personality assessment. If I showed that I was good with sales, they would call for the next interview. Where they would further discuss the details. After about two meetings they ask you to take study and take the life and health exam

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview is you meeting the recruiting partner. He knew nothing about me coming in so I presume it was a recruiter that reached out to me via ziprecruiter. Brief explanation about the company and gives his background and I was asked to give mine. Left resume with him and went to take the personality test. Was asked to come back for the career overview where they lay down the history of NYL, the comparisons with other companies, how clients benefit, and how you would get paid. Based on others who were there, there is no discrimination on who they interview. People of all ages, gender, and ethnicity. It is 0 base salary however if you have a great network and/or can socialize, there is a good chance you could do well. Its not one of those 9-5 jobs where you sit on your tail. You work for your earnings and it can be quit lucrative if successful.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Had two interviews with the same partner. First was all about asking about myself. Second was about the organization and the products available. Third is about the compensation structure. Interviewer was incredibly passionate. Overall it was a great experience.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Reno, NV) in March 2017.

Interview

I was brought in to discuss the Sales Manager position. Instead, I was talked to about a Rep position. I waited 20 minutes for the recruiter to come get me and then he only had a couple of questions and a "personality assesment."

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at NY Life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Little Rock, AR) in March 2017.

Interview

There were three interviews with the managing partner. The first interview was mostly a review of your own personal abilities to gauge if you are competent enough to responsibly represent New York Life. Easy. The second interview was an introduction and thorough explanation of the job life of an agent. The second interview included an introduction of the products that you would be selling. At the third interview, my wife was invited to attend. This interview was intended to create buy-in for myself and my wife. The reason for this interview is because the pay is 100% commission based. If you are the sole income for your family, your paycheck will likely not be regular in the first 3-5 years.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel about meeting new people and asking them to take time out of their day to talk to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Lengthy but I like that. It shows they are not just hiring anyone. However, they make you start "working" as if you have been officially hired without finishing their hiring process. Unfortunately, after two months of doing work for them and letting friends and family know that I started working there, they have decided they wouldn't want to go forward because of answers on my application. It was extremely unprofessional. I would advise whoever is applying to make sure they get officially hired before starting putting any work and go to training and marketing yourself. I've never experienced such lack of professionalism and carelessness.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you to reach out to your warm market?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I applied through school career fair. Phone screening: describe some project experience, some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation and data manipulation problems (Explain Random Forest to business clients, cross-validation ).

Interview Questions

• some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation(Random Forest).   Answer Question