Want a Free Job Posting?

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Management In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2010.

When I was first contacted, the HR representative seemed very interested. I had applied through my campus recruiting system, but this system required only a resume (no cover letter); I, like many of my peers, was attracted to the fact that the listing on the career services website had salary at $100,000+ per year. I arrived at the office and was greeted courteously by the staff; I was taken for the interview, and that is when the experience turned downright strange. In an hour long interview, the two people interviewing me -- both of whom were no more than two years out of undergraduate (according to what they told me, at least!) -- spent roughly 2/3 of the time explaining the pay structure of the company. They did not ask all that much about me, and when I asked about what I would be doing as a "manager in training" they deflected the question. By the time I left, I had only a vague idea of what I would be doing, but it did appear that I would have to act as a sales representative for a period of time, something I had explicitly said I was not interested in doing. During the interview, one interviewer said that part of their bonus depends on the number of candidates they schedule interviews with -- just another aspect of the experience which seemed odd, to say the least. I scheduled a second round interview while still at the office during my first interview, yet two days later I got a phone call from a different person within the same office, requesting to set up a second round interview. I figured that it may have been a different arm of the same office, but when I mentioned that I had already set up an interview, the person on the phone simply thanked me for setting something up and briskly hung up. The next day I decided to withdraw from consideration, as I recognized that I would decline an offer if it were extended to me, and I didn't want to waste their time anymore.

Interview Questions