New York Life New York Life Agent Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 25, 2017

2.4

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

There are a series of interviews an re-interviews. Once selected, there is a month of classes. These classes are not optional. You must also take an online test and pass a state exam. Then, there is one month of full-time classes. It is impossible to have a second job. The training is great, but it is 100% commission. You are not paid for any of your time or training.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Employee in East Bridgewater, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (East Bridgewater, MA).

Interview

Four rounds of interviews; they want to know if you look and smell nice and can represent the company in an excellent light. They really don't want you schlepping insurance and Annuities to your family, but they do want you to grow your network exponentially; the interviews are designed to see if you have ability to get new leads and can wheel and deal with anybody; smart sharp people

Interview Questions

• Can you relate to people, or how do you relate to people, ie family, colleagues and strangers   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations, you make nothing unless you sell. You don't get any commissions until you reach a certain initial target point. Everybody achieves this in 1-2 sales (yourself and a family member).

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview is a 3+ week process, not including the initial online personality assessment. It is designed to screen-in those who are truly committed to selling insurance products.

You are required to do a full background check prior to completing the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

I was approached for a position with NY Life. There were no job posted so it seems they look up in LinkedIn and target potential candidates.

It seems the hiring process consist of 4 interviews; I went through the first two interviews. The interviews are with one of the partners and on one-to-one basis. The first one give you general information; the second one gives you the way your are remunerated. Each interview took about 2 hours of your time.

This is a commission based job with not base salary, so it is not for everyone as you will need to build your portfolio of clients before you can see any significant money.

I was interested in NY Life because they have very good products and a long standing prestige.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about NY Life?   1 Answer

Currently not in the position to pursue a commission based job.

New York Life Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Nice office! They were running a little late, so I waited for 20 minutes. Everyone was very nice. The manager's pay is dependent on how well newer agents do. They might micro managing. The first interview took 1 hour, which is one of two. Next one is 3 hours long.... some might split this interview up.

New York Life Agent Interview

Interview

The partner was very persuasive about the opportunities that selling insurance can bring. It can be very lucrative, but it is commission only, so you eat what you kill. The job sounds great but it doesn't fit my strengths, so I passed.

Interview Questions

• No questions really, they were selling me on how great the commission only job could be.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sandwich, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Sandwich, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

3 formal interview processes. I met with one interviewer multiple times and he discussed all the opportunities available within the company. It sounds like a great career path if you don't mind the fact that pay is 100% commission.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your ability to persuade people?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

It was about probability of a matching attributes/character/personality management think would produce high survival/success rate. You take a self-assessment test in addition to in-person interview. Then, it usually follows with a tour of the facility to give a good glimpse of what it's like to work in the office and the staff there.

Overall, I thought it was a nice, no pressure interview process that could ease the right candidate into this position.

Interview Questions

• Do you possess the drive and determination when the going gets tough as there will be dry spells? Do you prize unlimited income potential over the comfort of a 9-5 job? Will you be coachable and do what the NYL formula recommends to make a successful run at it? These are generality of what were presented on the actual test and interview session with the manager.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Des Moines, IA) in January 2015.

Interview

It was a 3-step Interview process. The first interview was basically a get to know you session to see if you would be a good fit. They also are selling the benefits of being a part of the insurance industry. The second interview is more in depth on your mindset and future objectives. The third was about benefits, how compensation works, and how training works.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to keep driving every single day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

long process. one phone interview and had two in person interviews (one with the manager and one with the higher up) and one assessment test.
    comprehensive and long back ground check required. must obtain insurance license before you get offered from the company.