New York Life Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Trumbull, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Trumbull, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

I spoke to the New York Life Insurance representatives at a trade show and was encouraged to contact the HR administrator for a first appointment. NYLI has a four-step interview process, with the first appointment serving as a time to sell yourself and to listen to what is going to be asked of you. This is followed by taking individual assessment tests and if you pass the review, you are asked to call back the following morning to find this out. At this point, you will be told if you passed or not and if so, you will schedule a second appointment (always the same person), usually for the following week and you are given "homework" to do in the meantime. The second appointment is geared around meeting some of the other associates for a Q&A session with each, followed by further evaluation and if you pass, you are asked back for a third interview, where compensation and expectations are outlined. If there is synchronicity, you will be asked back for a fourth and final appointment, which is also considered to be akin to your first day at work.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I wanted to work in insurance and why I chose New York Life. These are not simple questions.   1 Answer
  • I was asked if I was willing to work with a commission and bonus based compensation structure and if I was willing to treat my job as my own business, complete with filing my own State and Federal taxes quarterly and annually.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for New York Life

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tinley Park, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Tinley Park, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

More of selling me on the job than me selling myself for the position. Told you all the great products they have to offer and the future outlook on your career. BE AWARE this job is 100% commision.

Interview Questions

• What makes you interested in Life insurance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Orlando, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

NYL attended a career fair. The position was appealing due to flexible hours. I went on an interview for two hours. Never once did they ask a question about me. It was more of a sales pitch about them and a personality profile. After reviewing glassdoor and learning about all the start up fees and 100% commission, I decided to pursue other jobs.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, commission only.

Anonymous Employee in Sunrise, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Sunrise, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

Very professional and easy going. 1 on 1 Ask you about yourself and what you are looking for. They then ask you to take a personality type evaluation test. Lots of paperwork.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Jackson, MS) in February 2014.

Interview

I attended a career fair and a week later they called me for an on campus interview. The interview went fine and they were very explicit about what you want to do and what New York Life the company can offer you as well. First the interviewee told me about himself and his ambitions and then asked me about mine. It was not a very formal interview and he made me feel very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• What do you want out of this job?   1 Answer