New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

During the introductory interview, I was interviewed by the department head first, then by managers of purchasing and risk management. The entire process took 45 minutes. They asked typical questions and responded to all questions I posed to them.

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I met with an HR person, a Branch Manager, and two librarians at the branch where the opening was. They asked a series of questions and gave me time to ask them questions. They did not give me a tour of the branch.

Interview Questions

• What are some books you would choose to read with kids to promote kindness.   Answer Question

Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The first interview lasted an hour with HR and the manager of procurement. We went over basic questions and there were no surprises. I was called back after a week to meet with the Director and manager.

The day of, I got a text that they were running half an hour late because of a meeting. Which was fine, but during the actual interview, the Director had an incoming call and I thought it was unprofessional how she decided to answer it. It got awkward from there because she asked me questions that I had already answered in the first interview so I was repeating some of the answers from the initial interview with the manager there. This interview lasted 15 minutes with the Director saying I'll hear back a fast response. After two weeks of following up, I have yet to hear back from anyone.

Library Page Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online and got an interview a couple of weeks later. I went to the interview and it was fairly easy. They told me that they'll contact me if I got the job. Almost three weeks later they emailed me saying that I didn't get it.

Procurement Interview

Application

Interview

At the main office building at 39th street & 5th ave, met the HR staff & the department manager. Takes about 30 -40 mins, formal procedure, they introduced themselves and the position first, and then my turn to introduce myself, and they started asked questions, very standard and not too tricky, nice office nice people. Overall a positive interview experience,

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Overall the interview process was positive and straightforward. The HR staff is terrific and very responsive. Though there seemed to be a disconnect between the HR person I met with first and the head of the department I was applying to work for, for the first ten minutes of my HR interview she thought I was interviewing for a different position in the same department. Though that might have been a clerical error. Even after we cleared that up, the way she described the priorities for the new hire were really different from the department VP doing the hiring.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all straight forward, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through three separate interviews over the course of about a month-and-a-half. The first interview was a one hour, one-on-one meeting with an HR representative for general screening. I then had a one-hour skype interview with the hiring manager, and finally a one hour interview with a panel of six employees representing different departments. The interview process was organized and relatively swift. Everyone I encountered was pleasant and polite.

My negative rating comes from the fact that, since my third interview for what would have been a senior role, I have waited over two months, and have had no news whatsoever, nor any responses to my written requests for an update. I understand that the NYPL screening process takes time and that negotiations on an offer can drag-on, but failing to give candidates any updates on their status is rude and unprofessional. I assume they have hired someone else, and am thankful I didn't get an offer as an institution that treats potential employees with such disrespect isn't a place I'd want to work.

Interview Questions

• Question were almost entirely focused on past experience and providing specific examples of projects or situations.   1 Answer

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very tough interview. It lasted over 30 minutes. There were two interviewers that asked me very specific questions. I reiterated my resume and matched it to the questions they were asking. They really wanted to know about about my administrative skills. They asked for a writing sample afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my community affairs and administrative skills.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Basic interview with standard questions ("describe a time when..." or "what's your working style?" etc). Started with HR and then moved onto meeting with supervising managers. Throughout the process, I tried to maintain contact, sending out thank you notes, emailing HR for updates, but they rarely emailed back. The process was neither speedy nor transparent.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with a supervisor.
      Do you work best in a team or on your own?   1 Answer

Adult Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Met with a three person panel (Managing Librarian, Talent Acquisition Partner and Associate Director) and discussed the responsibilities and expectations the panel had for both their library and the librarians they were looking to bring on board.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at New York Public Library?   Answer Question
    • What languages can you read and communicate in?   Answer Question
    • What experiences do you have doing community outreach with your previous employer   Answer Question
    • Describe how you managed an experience where technology failed you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation you were in where a customer was challenging and how you satisfied their requests?   Answer Question
    • What training can you provide to our users? Describe your teaching methods, and how you developed at training program at your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of how you managed the relationships with your team when you and your teammates did not agree on how to handle a situation. How did you resolve the dispute?   Answer Question