New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.7

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I got Email from HR staff and had an interview on the phone. It took 20 minutes, She was so friendly but rushed interview questions as if she was so busy.

Interview Questions

• 1.About American Education 2. React to feedback 3. getting Certificate   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very tough interview. It lasted over 30 minutes. There were two interviewers that asked me very specific questions. I reiterated my resume and matched it to the questions they were asking. They really wanted to know about about my administrative skills. They asked for a writing sample afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my community affairs and administrative skills.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and got called in for an interview a week or two later. The interviewer asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and what I was looking to for in a position. She explained the department (which I didn't know a ton about) and what they were looking for. The interviewer was friendly, but definitely grilled me about my past work. The job was interesting but it sounded like they had a lot of candidates and I didn't end up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• An example of when I had multiple projects going on at the same time with different key players and how I managed them.   1 Answer
    • HOw I use communication to resolve difficult problems at work.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to do a phone interview. This consisted of hammering me with questions about my experience. The interviewer seemed to be hammering away at what he perceived to be a deficiency in my experience (ie. running library "programs"). However, since there is nothing on my resume about this I am wondering why I was even invited to interview. I have some customer service experience both in person and via the telephone. And I was able to demonstrate various competencies in terms of problem solving, but I came away from the phone interview feeling as though I had botched it.

Therefore, I was surprised when they set up a panel interview for me. This group was a lot friendlier, but I had to answer the same canned questions from a list. Fortunately I was prepared with some answers, but I felt that I was probably never going to hear from them again. I usually do very badly in these types of job interview situations because I feel like what I am doing is not rocket science and I feel like an idiot acting as though it is. Anyway, they told me they would call me in a few days (And yes, I have heard that one about a million times). The time frame they set forth has passed and I honestly do not believe I will hear from them, but if by some miracle I get an offer, I will follow up.

If selected, the next step would be for a background check and drug test before a formal offer is made.

Interview Questions

• Time you were frustrated by an inability to serve a customer?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions

• Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through three separate interviews over the course of about a month-and-a-half. The first interview was a one hour, one-on-one meeting with an HR representative for general screening. I then had a one-hour skype interview with the hiring manager, and finally a one hour interview with a panel of six employees representing different departments. The interview process was organized and relatively swift. Everyone I encountered was pleasant and polite.

My negative rating comes from the fact that, since my third interview for what would have been a senior role, I have waited over two months, and have had no news whatsoever, nor any responses to my written requests for an update. I understand that the NYPL screening process takes time and that negotiations on an offer can drag-on, but failing to give candidates any updates on their status is rude and unprofessional. I assume they have hired someone else, and am thankful I didn't get an offer as an institution that treats potential employees with such disrespect isn't a place I'd want to work.

Interview Questions

• Question were almost entirely focused on past experience and providing specific examples of projects or situations.   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Stamford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Great, they gave me a test to determine my ability to reason and categorize. My experience from working at Labor Ready, gave me the skills to adapt and acclimate myself to any situation. For this, I am eternally thankful!

Interview Questions

• Do I have any experience in warehousing and cataloging materials.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

takes forever to get an interview. by the time I got one, I forgot I even applied for this job. They really need to speed up the process. meet with who will you be working for in interview, but first you have to interview with hr. 2 interviews for low level part time position is ridiculous

Interview Questions

• about your past work experience, at least no psychological mumbo jumbo   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Round 1: The first interview was with the program manager, who would be my boss. We discussed classroom management styles, curriculum development, and the nuts and bolts of what the job is like day-to-day.

Round 2: The second interview was with the program manager and the program manager's boss. This interview was largely a repeat of the first interview. The boss had run the program previously so it was another chance to ask questions about the program and be vetted by another person who had experience running it.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I emailed the arts library directly to inquire about any open internship positions, since I didn't see any listed on the website. I was able to interview and started my internship within a few weeks.