New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 20, 2017

2.7

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I got Email from HR staff and had an interview on the phone. It took 20 minutes, She was so friendly but rushed interview questions as if she was so busy.

Interview Questions

• 1.About American Education 2. React to feedback 3. getting Certificate   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very tough interview. It lasted over 30 minutes. There were two interviewers that asked me very specific questions. I reiterated my resume and matched it to the questions they were asking. They really wanted to know about about my administrative skills. They asked for a writing sample afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my community affairs and administrative skills.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and got called in for an interview a week or two later. The interviewer asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and what I was looking to for in a position. She explained the department (which I didn't know a ton about) and what they were looking for. The interviewer was friendly, but definitely grilled me about my past work. The job was interesting but it sounded like they had a lot of candidates and I didn't end up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• An example of when I had multiple projects going on at the same time with different key players and how I managed them.   1 Answer
    • HOw I use communication to resolve difficult problems at work.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to do a phone interview. This consisted of hammering me with questions about my experience. The interviewer seemed to be hammering away at what he perceived to be a deficiency in my experience (ie. running library "programs"). However, since there is nothing on my resume about this I am wondering why I was even invited to interview. I have some customer service experience both in person and via the telephone. And I was able to demonstrate various competencies in terms of problem solving, but I came away from the phone interview feeling as though I had botched it.

Therefore, I was surprised when they set up a panel interview for me. This group was a lot friendlier, but I had to answer the same canned questions from a list. Fortunately I was prepared with some answers, but I felt that I was probably never going to hear from them again. I usually do very badly in these types of job interview situations because I feel like what I am doing is not rocket science and I feel like an idiot acting as though it is. Anyway, they told me they would call me in a few days (And yes, I have heard that one about a million times). The time frame they set forth has passed and I honestly do not believe I will hear from them, but if by some miracle I get an offer, I will follow up.

If selected, the next step would be for a background check and drug test before a formal offer is made.

Interview Questions

• Time you were frustrated by an inability to serve a customer?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter if I am interested in this position. I've sent my resume and hiring manager was also interested in me. I had an interview in agency prior actual job interview because it was contracted position billed through agency. After I completed all paperwork I went to interview with hiring manager. Interview was 45-50 minutes, first questions as usual, than few curve balls. Hiring manager was hard to approach and even thou she answered all my questions I thought that she was not in total control of project I would be assigned to. Also for me she was a doppelganger of my ex girlfriend.

Interview Questions

• Which risk management tools have you used in your career?   Answer Question

Senior Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview then an interview with HR and the four district managers. Even though the interview was with a panel it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. It did take a long time to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Senior Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

During the introductory interview, I was interviewed by the department head first, then by managers of purchasing and risk management. The entire process took 45 minutes. They asked typical questions and responded to all questions I posed to them.

Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

At the main office building at 39th street & 5th ave, met the HR staff & the department manager. Takes about 30 -40 mins, formal procedure, they introduced themselves and the position first, and then my turn to introduce myself, and they started asked questions, very standard and not too tricky, nice office nice people. Overall a positive interview experience,

Procurement Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

The first interview lasted an hour with HR and the manager of procurement. We went over basic questions and there were no surprises. I was called back after a week to meet with the Director and manager.

The day of, I got a text that they were running half an hour late because of a meeting. Which was fine, but during the actual interview, the Director had an incoming call and I thought it was unprofessional how she decided to answer it. It got awkward from there because she asked me questions that I had already answered in the first interview so I was repeating some of the answers from the initial interview with the manager there. This interview lasted 15 minutes with the Director saying I'll hear back a fast response. After two weeks of following up, I have yet to hear back from anyone.

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I met with an HR person, a Branch Manager, and two librarians at the branch where the opening was. They asked a series of questions and gave me time to ask them questions. They did not give me a tour of the branch.

Interview Questions

• What are some books you would choose to read with kids to promote kindness.   Answer Question