New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Public Library Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2017

2.7

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

Straightforward experience. Referred. Two tiered process.

Interview Questions

• A scenario based question about what to do with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Straightforward. Rather fixed terms and I was okay with it for that time.

Pre-Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I was called in for an interview by the woman who would become by manager and then a few days later I received a call from HR saying that I was hired.

The Interview process was fairly laid-back. I didn't feel as if the interviewer was trying to trip me up. She presented the requirements and description of the position with good detail and answered any questions I had. It was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to solve a problem.   Answer Question

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

So they're supposedly doing a mass hiring of librarians, I believe i was phone interviewed by the same man 2 other posters referenced. He was rude and even scoffed at one of my answers. But I too was sent on to a panel interview, where the interviewers were really nice and i thought it went well. HR said i would hear within a week- nothing. I wish they would at least send a no reply email telling you you didn't get the position instead of you waiting to hear, or at least update your online application to say "review complete- no offer."

Adult Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Met with a three person panel (Managing Librarian, Talent Acquisition Partner and Associate Director) and discussed the responsibilities and expectations the panel had for both their library and the librarians they were looking to bring on board.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at New York Public Library?   Answer Question
    • What languages can you read and communicate in?   Answer Question
    • What experiences do you have doing community outreach with your previous employer   Answer Question
    • Describe how you managed an experience where technology failed you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation you were in where a customer was challenging and how you satisfied their requests?   Answer Question
    • What training can you provide to our users? Describe your teaching methods, and how you developed at training program at your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of how you managed the relationships with your team when you and your teammates did not agree on how to handle a situation. How did you resolve the dispute?   Answer Question

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I dropped by the HR department to apply for the Library Page position. I was called back about 3 days later for an interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week. It was a 1:1 interview with HR, which was very simple and straightforward. They asked why I wanted to work in NYPL, favorite books/authors, previous jobs, customer service experience. All in all, easy general questions. After the interview, I received a call with an offer and directions to where I was going to be working. That was pretty much it.

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work at NYPL?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. They let you know your pay rate for the position.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a third party so I did not interview, but my employer asked me my interests, academically and otherwise to determine how I would be able to contribute without a museum studies or art history background

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Bronx, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

got the training on the first day after i done the interview. They had me puting books in order a-z the non fiction book had number on them you would also have to put in order. Then they have the DVD you would have to put in order as well.

Interview Questions

• what i do on my spare time?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Page Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

I found the position and my school's databased. Then i sented them and email about i week later they called me in for an interview. I took a breif test. After interview he basically told me I got the job and all I had to do was bring in all my doucoments to HR.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

My schedule was based on my school schedule so i wasnt scheduled hours I had class

Library Technical Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Set up via phone, 1 on 1 with a standard HR person. Questions seemed canned, and the person wasn't a specialist in the field I was interviewing for. Probably about eight questions, all pretty standard. Salary is non negotiable for most positions because of the union. The interview is done off site from any library location, so hard to get a read of the culture. The person said they would be in touch to set up a second interview, but never were.

Interview Questions

• What was a problem you've had at work and how did you go about correcting it?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of how you're worked on a team.   1 Answer