New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.7

Collections Processing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Long Island City, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

First off, it took like 3 months to get a response. I was surprised when I had gotten an interview offer. I arrive there and get interviewed by 3 people . Mrs. West for the LIC location was late and showed up halfway through the interview. The interview itself had pretty easy, generic questions. At one point I ask (when I was given chance to ask questions) how many trucks do you guys get per day? One interviewer seems confused by this, what do you mean how many trucks? Well I work in a warehouse and we get 3 a day so not sure why that was hard to answer. There is a second part to the interview (same day) were you meet a floor manager and it wasn't much of an interview. He talked most of the time and asked me maybe 3 questions. I get shown there automated book sorter, which I am sure does most of the work anyways. Spent like an hour in there, but no offer.

Interview Questions

• Why here?
      Tell us about X job.
      Tell us about your experience with excel and word.
      Can you lift 50 lbs?
      Answer Question

Procurement Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The first interview lasted an hour with HR and the manager of procurement. We went over basic questions and there were no surprises. I was called back after a week to meet with the Director and manager.

The day of, I got a text that they were running half an hour late because of a meeting. Which was fine, but during the actual interview, the Director had an incoming call and I thought it was unprofessional how she decided to answer it. It got awkward from there because she asked me questions that I had already answered in the first interview so I was repeating some of the answers from the initial interview with the manager there. This interview lasted 15 minutes with the Director saying I'll hear back a fast response. After two weeks of following up, I have yet to hear back from anyone.

Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I met with an HR person, a Branch Manager, and two librarians at the branch where the opening was. They asked a series of questions and gave me time to ask them questions. They did not give me a tour of the branch.

Interview Questions

• What are some books you would choose to read with kids to promote kindness.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Overall the interview process was positive and straightforward. The HR staff is terrific and very responsive. Though there seemed to be a disconnect between the HR person I met with first and the head of the department I was applying to work for, for the first ten minutes of my HR interview she thought I was interviewing for a different position in the same department. Though that might have been a clerical error. Even after we cleared that up, the way she described the priorities for the new hire were really different from the department VP doing the hiring.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all straight forward, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through three separate interviews over the course of about a month-and-a-half. The first interview was a one hour, one-on-one meeting with an HR representative for general screening. I then had a one-hour skype interview with the hiring manager, and finally a one hour interview with a panel of six employees representing different departments. The interview process was organized and relatively swift. Everyone I encountered was pleasant and polite.

My negative rating comes from the fact that, since my third interview for what would have been a senior role, I have waited over two months, and have had no news whatsoever, nor any responses to my written requests for an update. I understand that the NYPL screening process takes time and that negotiations on an offer can drag-on, but failing to give candidates any updates on their status is rude and unprofessional. I assume they have hired someone else, and am thankful I didn't get an offer as an institution that treats potential employees with such disrespect isn't a place I'd want to work.

Interview Questions

• Question were almost entirely focused on past experience and providing specific examples of projects or situations.   1 Answer

Library Page Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Stamford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Great, they gave me a test to determine my ability to reason and categorize. My experience from working at Labor Ready, gave me the skills to adapt and acclimate myself to any situation. For this, I am eternally thankful!

Interview Questions

• Do I have any experience in warehousing and cataloging materials.   1 Answer

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Bronx, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

got the training on the first day after i done the interview. They had me puting books in order a-z the non fiction book had number on them you would also have to put in order. Then they have the DVD you would have to put in order as well.

Interview Questions

• what i do on my spare time?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I got Email from HR staff and had an interview on the phone. It took 20 minutes, She was so friendly but rushed interview questions as if she was so busy.

Interview Questions

• 1.About American Education 2. React to feedback 3. getting Certificate   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

takes forever to get an interview. by the time I got one, I forgot I even applied for this job. They really need to speed up the process. meet with who will you be working for in interview, but first you have to interview with hr. 2 interviews for low level part time position is ridiculous

Interview Questions

• about your past work experience, at least no psychological mumbo jumbo   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very tough interview. It lasted over 30 minutes. There were two interviewers that asked me very specific questions. I reiterated my resume and matched it to the questions they were asking. They really wanted to know about about my administrative skills. They asked for a writing sample afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my community affairs and administrative skills.   Answer Question