New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 12, 2017

2.7

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Very tough interview. It lasted over 30 minutes. There were two interviewers that asked me very specific questions. I reiterated my resume and matched it to the questions they were asking. They really wanted to know about about my administrative skills. They asked for a writing sample afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Mainly about my community affairs and administrative skills.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Basic interview with standard questions ("describe a time when..." or "what's your working style?" etc). Started with HR and then moved onto meeting with supervising managers. Throughout the process, I tried to maintain contact, sending out thank you notes, emailing HR for updates, but they rarely emailed back. The process was neither speedy nor transparent.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with a supervisor.
      Do you work best in a team or on your own?   1 Answer

Librarian, Young Adult Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed by three individuals, a person from HR, a young adult librarian, and the director of the library. Very kind and welcoming. Unfortunately, while they stated they would make a decision in 3-4 weeks, I've heard nothing about the position in well over six weeks. It even took a week for the HR woman to respond to my question about what the status was! Very frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had to work with a difficult customer.
      Say I'm a teen who comes up and asks you for recommendations similar to "The Maze Runner." How do you respond?
      What's the last YA novel you have read?
      Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview itself was pretty standard and easy. The background check process was absurd. I was offered a position, conditional on background check. I had to submit to a drug test for a desk job, which was intrusive and belittling. The background check is outsourced to a contractor. They were awful. The background check company spoke to two of my former supervisors, who gave glowing references. Because these references did not come from HR though, there were considered invalid and the library revoked my job offer. I then had to micromanage my own background check, tracking down HR reps who I had never met or spoken to at my former employer, and beg them to call the contractor and confirm my employment. This took weeks, and by the time the library finally accepted that I was not lying about my background, I was so humiliated and exhausted that I barely wanted the job.

Adult Librarian Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Met with a three person panel (Managing Librarian, Talent Acquisition Partner and Associate Director) and discussed the responsibilities and expectations the panel had for both their library and the librarians they were looking to bring on board.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at New York Public Library?   Answer Question
    • What languages can you read and communicate in?   Answer Question
    • What experiences do you have doing community outreach with your previous employer   Answer Question
    • Describe how you managed an experience where technology failed you?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation you were in where a customer was challenging and how you satisfied their requests?   Answer Question
    • What training can you provide to our users? Describe your teaching methods, and how you developed at training program at your previous position?   Answer Question
    • Provide an example of how you managed the relationships with your team when you and your teammates did not agree on how to handle a situation. How did you resolve the dispute?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview, responded to several basic questions and some extensive questions. I was referred by a staffing agency and was able to go into the office the very next day.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and got called in for an interview a week or two later. The interviewer asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and what I was looking to for in a position. She explained the department (which I didn't know a ton about) and what they were looking for. The interviewer was friendly, but definitely grilled me about my past work. The job was interesting but it sounded like they had a lot of candidates and I didn't end up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• An example of when I had multiple projects going on at the same time with different key players and how I managed them.   1 Answer
    • HOw I use communication to resolve difficult problems at work.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I emailed the arts library directly to inquire about any open internship positions, since I didn't see any listed on the website. I was able to interview and started my internship within a few weeks.

Senior Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I received an email setting up a phone interview with the department for the following week. After the interview, I was emailed by another person outside of the dept. asking me to speak with them the next day. First interview lasted ~30 minutes and was with a few different people, the second was more like 15 minutes with just one person.

Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was a joke. The guy on the other end read questions and asked me several times to stop talking so he could write. Panel interview with 3-4 managers. Very nice considering I ran half an hour late. Very easy to build rapport.

Interview Questions

• What kind of programming experience do/you have? How did you build relationships with community organizations? How do you deal with disruptive behavior during storytime? Tell us about your customer service experience.   Answer Question