New York State Department of Labor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York State Department of Labor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2017

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at New York State Department of Labor

Interview

Must take a written test and then placed on an eligibility list... it took 2 months to be called for an interview...From the date of completing the test and actually getting hired was 2 years

Interview Questions

• 30 minutes interview.. with two supervisors...Traditional interview questions...why should i hire you over every one else. Have u had any conflicts on prior jobs and how was it resolved   Answer Question
    • give me a situation when u had to work under a pressure and how you handle the situation   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor (Albany, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the highers up in the specific unit within the Department of Labor. One was the supervisor of the office, and the other one was the supervisor's supervisor. The interview atmosphere was very relaxed. We laughed a bit, and they just asked questions based off of my resume and how I could help them.

Interview Questions

• They asked when was a time that I dealt with a difficult person, and how did I resolve the conflict.   Answer Question

Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor (Albany, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

All of the executives from each department within the management group interview, you sit in a round table and they all introduce themselves. After you introduce yourself the real interview begins.

Labor Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hauppauge, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor (Hauppauge, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

To become a permanent employee, one must take civil service examination and try to score high to obtain top ranking. Then you become part of a list. If a particular location has a vacancy they will send you a canvas letter asking you if interest in this position at location. If yes, most likely you get contacted for an interview., where they ask you about your experience, customer service, you and team environment, assignments, computer literacy, etc. Even though they give you the interview unfortunately they already have in mind a candidate since out the rule of 3 for civil service exams for top ranking candidates, they will select the higher score no matter what. In other words, if 3 people were selected for an interview and you are participant with a score of 80, you will not be selected. The person with higher score will be hired. Your interview was only a formality.

Interview Questions

• If you are an hourly employee looking for permanent position, they might ask you how would handle your assignments and responsibilities with a different manager?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in July 2011.

Interview

This is a civil service position. You need take a Civil Service Exam specifically for this title and score well. After this, you can receive canvas letters, which can, but not always, lead to an interview. Although this process is long, it is worth the wait. If you make it to the interview process, that means you already are meeting the criteria they look for, and have a good chance of being hired. Interviews skip over the initial "why did you apply here and why do you want to work in this office" due to the nature of civil service, and jump right into actual work being done in the office. Was fun and informative and the interviewing staff were both polite and knew exactly what they needed.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult is getting to the interview process. The most unexpected question was one asking if you would comfortable interrupting a Judge in a hearing for something as needed. You needed to be open and not intimidated by this aspect for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The work place, pay, title, probationary period, benefits etc were already laid out.

Clerk I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hicksville, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor (Hicksville, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

There was no prior knowledge of the interview. I received a phone call from a random number and decided to answer, which in turn became my interview. Although unprepared, the two women I spoke with were very kind and interested in my experiences and transferable skills. The call lasted approximately 10 minutes and about a week later I was given a call stating that I was hired for the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain how this position would benefit my educational major.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in January 2010.

Interview

promotional interview so everything from the 10 years previous came to bear; attitude, ethics, work load, abiltiy to multi-task, quality, interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, stress management, critical thinking, program development, technical abilities.....What made the difference in the end was showing how much I wanted the job and what I was willing to do to get it - come prepared and prove value!

Interview Questions

• questions about presentation and training   1 Answer

Negotiation

there wasn't one. with civil service the salary and benefits are not negotiable

LSR Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York State Department of Labor in July 2009.

Interview

Normal interviewing process (after the civil service test)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/A