New York Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone round with the hiring team. The phone round was a discussion about my projects and a few easy questions based on my work experience. Then I was invited to an onsite interview at the New York times office. I was interested in meeting the team and the onsite round was overall a good experience. Nothing asked was particularly too difficult, mostly database schema related questions and was asked just one algorithm question. The onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours and was pretty straightforward and a few questions from interviewers overlapped and felt a little disorganized.

After the onsite, there was a take home coding test with vague specifications. I was given a JSON related question and was rejected based on the coding test. The feedback felt a highly nit picked and was contradictory to the assumptions stated in the question. This was a complete waste of my time . I already had another offer in hand and attended the interview because I committed to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• One algorithm question based on comparing two sorted lists.
      Take home test based related to comparing JSON data from two files.
      Answer Question

Associate Manager, Customer Experience Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I was asked to call a recruiter who could not have sounded less interested to speak with me. She was unable answer basic questions I had about the role and seemed like she was in a hurry to get me off the phone. Definitely one of the most unprofessional "recruiters" I've ebcountered in my career.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Times in March 2017.

Interview

Completely Unprofessional!!!

HR recruiter contacted via email, set up phone call screening. Had the call while she was on her way to work. Wasn't paying attention to what I was saying, evident by asking me the same question twice. Lasted a total of 5 minutes.

Recruiting Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

I applied, they reached out to me to schedule an interview. I provided my availability and I never heard back. I followed up and also never heard back. Really poor candidate experience AND not a good indicator of the health of their recruiting function.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied the position in January and one editor contacted me in early February for an on-site interview at NYT Headquarters. Met one editor and one HR manager at the same time. The interview is pretty productive. It's a little bit different than the interviews I had before. They both didn't ask me too many questions. Instead, it's more like a conversation. They gave me more details about the position and I responded with my experience. The interview lasted 45 mins. At the end of the interview, the editor asked me when I can start, I replied ASAP, and he told me it's great because that they need someone can start immediately. I asked him if it is okay I contacted him if any further questions arise, he said "of course, you have my email. Email me if you have any questions."

Everything seems so nice. However, I heard no response after two weeks. So I sent a follow up email to check the hiring status, followed by no response. After another one week waiting, I sent second email since I need make my decision about another job offer soon. Have waited three days, but still no response.
    I know employers all try to be nice during the interview. But please do not promise interviewees some promises you can't keep.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process moved very fast, I had a phone interview on a Friday, that ended with "lets set up the time for you to come into the office next week for a face to face." After the waiting for an email and not getting one, I reached out on Monday afternoon to follow up for next steps. I received the oddest email ever and contained this statement, "...we don't think he is the right fit for the role. His experience working in a large enterprise environments with no start-up experience really were not the right mix of experience we need."

I didn't know that the NYT was a 165 year old start-up? Anyway, Good Luck to the person that got hired at the NYT Start-up.

Interview Questions

• How many teams have you managed concurrently and what was the total number of employees and consultants?   Answer Question

NYT Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview at New York Times was my worst interview experience all the time. Because I never really got interviewed at last! I got an email from them and asked me for an interview. And I replied with my availability and phone number. Then the interviewer stood me up at the time and date she scheduled. And I followed up three times and no response. And now they must hire somebody else. NYT was a company I admired for a long time. If that is the way you treat your candidates, then your company might operate in a poor way somehow. NYT still do a great job at news, but I'm no longer a fan.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred and shared my resume with that person. I was contacted by HR about 3 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was lightly technical and was followed up with a project s returned a week later. I was flown out about 2 weeks later for in-person interviews that I thought went really well. The feedback my referrer shared with me floored both of us since much of the feedback was inaccurate (misquotes and many things taken out of context), or not representative of my personally at all. The result was surreal for sure.

Interview Questions

• Thinking about when you type in a website, what happens between the client and the server to render the website?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial interview was a phone screening with a HR rep (15 minutes). Asked to walk-through my resume/work experience. Standard screening. Very little exchange/interaction.
    Second interview was an on-site, in-person interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes). I described my current role and responsibilities and showed how it is similar to the responsibilities of the open position. However, after 10 minutes, it became apparent that the interviewer was 'super-focused' on what they wanted from this role and were not open to different but relevant experiences.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a very short call with very little information shared. Didn't last more than 15 minutes. Also the recruiter kept pushing back the call. They didn't give any information about the position and only asked me a few questions.