New York Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

New York Times Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2017

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred and shared my resume with that person. I was contacted by HR about 3 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was lightly technical and was followed up with a project s returned a week later. I was flown out about 2 weeks later for in-person interviews that I thought went really well. The feedback my referrer shared with me floored both of us since much of the feedback was inaccurate (misquotes and many things taken out of context), or not representative of my personally at all. The result was surreal for sure.

Interview Questions

• Thinking about when you type in a website, what happens between the client and the server to render the website?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial interview was a phone screening with a HR rep (15 minutes). Asked to walk-through my resume/work experience. Standard screening. Very little exchange/interaction.
    Second interview was an on-site, in-person interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes). I described my current role and responsibilities and showed how it is similar to the responsibilities of the open position. However, after 10 minutes, it became apparent that the interviewer was 'super-focused' on what they wanted from this role and were not open to different but relevant experiences.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a very short call with very little information shared. Didn't last more than 15 minutes. Also the recruiter kept pushing back the call. They didn't give any information about the position and only asked me a few questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen that lasted an hour plus time for introductions and questions. The questions asked were coding challenges: questions that don't require specific understanding of data structures and algorithms to solve but are trickier than fizzbuzz.

I didn't do too well but I did finally solve the problems, so they gave me a week-long take home coding challenge to build a small app that could fetch some data and display it as a website up to spec with a mockup I was provided.

Finally they brought me in for an onsite. 4-5 hours of hour long sessions with 1-2 developers. Programming language trivia questions, a brain teaser, an architecture question and a behavioral interview. The whole thing was pretty disorganized overall.

Interview Questions

• How to flatten a multi-dimensional array of unknown depth in JavaScript.   Answer Question

Director, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disorganized and conflicting communication. Contacted by internal recruiter for brief conversation and asked to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was with another HR person (not hiring manager) and I don't think either side learned much that wasn't on my resume or in the job description. No contact for several weeks after which I was asked to come in for on-site interview. Arrived and hiring manager immediately told me he had been double booked and could only spend about 20 minutes with me. Short interview seemed to go well and ended with hiring manager saying he wanted me to come back and meet team. Emailed HR next day about scheduling follow up and got no response. Called HR about a week later and was told "I don't have your file in front of me send an email." About 2 weeks later got form email saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy. Replied expressing confusion as I had been told otherwise by hiring manager and got very curt reply confirming I was no longer being considered with no further explanation or feedback.

Interview Questions

• How many direct reports have you had in previous positions?

Interview focused on management experience and style with subject matter experience barely discussed
      Answer Question

Graphics Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First would be a phone screening process. If he/she likes you, you'll get invited to do an on-site interview which lasts for about 3.5 hours with 7 different people. Everything involves a lot of waiting time in between, but it the end it's worth it.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Three and half hour interview with 7 people, each half an hour long. Mostly Collection framework questions. They will ask you to write code, couple of times. Overall it was tough, be prepared.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by a friend. I had several phone interviews with different managers and groups. After that, I did a take home coding test that took about 4-6 hours. Was flown in for a series of about five short interviews on-site. I was offered a position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Shown some example code, asked what it does. Asked about my working style, what types of ticket tracking systems I've used, if I knew Agile.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They called me with an acceptable offer a few days after my interview. It included a small signing bonus to cover moving expenses. I didn't negotiate because the offer was acceptable.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Interview was for the Product Manager, eCommerce role. I applied on LinkedIn and was contacted about a phone screen with their HR lead. Role seemed like a good fit, although probably a little senior.

The interviewer was 7+ minutes late to the 15 minute call. Considering I had to take time out of my day at my current company for this, that is very annoying and quite unprofessional. The interview itself was very rushed and I got the impression that the interviewer could not wait to get off the phone. He asked 6 or 7 canned questions, did not dig into any answers or ask anything specific about me or my resume. Did not hear anything back afterwards.

Tip for the NY Times: If you are not genuinely interested in a candidate, don't set up a phone interview just to go through the motions. It is a total waste of time for everyone.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

Initial phone screen is basic and brief. They don't go into much detail and won't ask you much. Interview process is robust. You meet with the hiring manager, hiring manager's manager, stakeholders, and in certain cases the team you will be working with. Expect at least two hours of back to back interviews and they may call you in for a second round.