New York Times Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.9

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Started with HR rep call. Was straight forward and she was super easy to talk to. Was invited to meet with the Finance team. Also a straight forward interview. One curve ball question just because of the way the conversation was flowing. If you're genuine about your interest in working there and know how to articulate your experience, you'll be fine. Then met VP and other exec. Was a really fun interview. We laughed the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Time.
      Questions about day-to-day tasks at current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied the position in January and one editor contacted me in early February for an on-site interview at NYT Headquarters. Met one editor and one HR manager at the same time. The interview is pretty productive. It's a little bit different than the interviews I had before. They both didn't ask me too many questions. Instead, it's more like a conversation. They gave me more details about the position and I responded with my experience. The interview lasted 45 mins. At the end of the interview, the editor asked me when I can start, I replied ASAP, and he told me it's great because that they need someone can start immediately. I asked him if it is okay I contacted him if any further questions arise, he said "of course, you have my email. Email me if you have any questions."

Everything seems so nice. However, I heard no response after two weeks. So I sent a follow up email to check the hiring status, followed by no response. After another one week waiting, I sent second email since I need make my decision about another job offer soon. Have waited three days, but still no response.
    I know employers all try to be nice during the interview. But please do not promise interviewees some promises you can't keep.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Ten minute phone call with recruiter. Interview with a key colleague (45 mins). Interview with three other people the next week (30 mins each). Major props to the marketing team and the recruiter for the hiring process. I was impressed with how well-managed, efficient and straightforward it was. It was an A+ all around.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your background as it pertains to the role   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process moved very fast, I had a phone interview on a Friday, that ended with "lets set up the time for you to come into the office next week for a face to face." After the waiting for an email and not getting one, I reached out on Monday afternoon to follow up for next steps. I received the oddest email ever and contained this statement, "...we don't think he is the right fit for the role. His experience working in a large enterprise environments with no start-up experience really were not the right mix of experience we need."

I didn't know that the NYT was a 165 year old start-up? Anyway, Good Luck to the person that got hired at the NYT Start-up.

Interview Questions

• How many teams have you managed concurrently and what was the total number of employees and consultants?   Answer Question

NYT Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview at New York Times was my worst interview experience all the time. Because I never really got interviewed at last! I got an email from them and asked me for an interview. And I replied with my availability and phone number. Then the interviewer stood me up at the time and date she scheduled. And I followed up three times and no response. And now they must hire somebody else. NYT was a company I admired for a long time. If that is the way you treat your candidates, then your company might operate in a poor way somehow. NYT still do a great job at news, but I'm no longer a fan.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times in October 2016.

Interview

I was referred and shared my resume with that person. I was contacted by HR about 3 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was lightly technical and was followed up with a project s returned a week later. I was flown out about 2 weeks later for in-person interviews that I thought went really well. The feedback my referrer shared with me floored both of us since much of the feedback was inaccurate (misquotes and many things taken out of context), or not representative of my personally at all. The result was surreal for sure.

Interview Questions

• Thinking about when you type in a website, what happens between the client and the server to render the website?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial interview was a phone screening with a HR rep (15 minutes). Asked to walk-through my resume/work experience. Standard screening. Very little exchange/interaction.
    Second interview was an on-site, in-person interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes). I described my current role and responsibilities and showed how it is similar to the responsibilities of the open position. However, after 10 minutes, it became apparent that the interviewer was 'super-focused' on what they wanted from this role and were not open to different but relevant experiences.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a very short call with very little information shared. Didn't last more than 15 minutes. Also the recruiter kept pushing back the call. They didn't give any information about the position and only asked me a few questions.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times.

Interview

There was an initial phone screen that lasted an hour plus time for introductions and questions. The questions asked were coding challenges: questions that don't require specific understanding of data structures and algorithms to solve but are trickier than fizzbuzz.

I didn't do too well but I did finally solve the problems, so they gave me a week-long take home coding challenge to build a small app that could fetch some data and display it as a website up to spec with a mockup I was provided.

Finally they brought me in for an onsite. 4-5 hours of hour long sessions with 1-2 developers. Programming language trivia questions, a brain teaser, an architecture question and a behavioral interview. The whole thing was pretty disorganized overall.

Interview Questions

• How to flatten a multi-dimensional array of unknown depth in JavaScript.   Answer Question

Director, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disorganized and conflicting communication. Contacted by internal recruiter for brief conversation and asked to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was with another HR person (not hiring manager) and I don't think either side learned much that wasn't on my resume or in the job description. No contact for several weeks after which I was asked to come in for on-site interview. Arrived and hiring manager immediately told me he had been double booked and could only spend about 20 minutes with me. Short interview seemed to go well and ended with hiring manager saying he wanted me to come back and meet team. Emailed HR next day about scheduling follow up and got no response. Called HR about a week later and was told "I don't have your file in front of me send an email." About 2 weeks later got form email saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy. Replied expressing confusion as I had been told otherwise by hiring manager and got very curt reply confirming I was no longer being considered with no further explanation or feedback.

Interview Questions

• How many direct reports have you had in previous positions?

Interview focused on management experience and style with subject matter experience barely discussed   Answer Question