New York Times Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.7

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and was contacted by a recruiter who setup a phone round with the hiring team. The phone round was a discussion about my projects and a few easy questions based on my work experience. Then I was invited to an onsite interview at the New York times office. I was interested in meeting the team and the onsite round was overall a good experience. Nothing asked was particularly too difficult, mostly database schema related questions and was asked just one algorithm question. The onsite interview was scheduled for 3 hours and was pretty straightforward and a few questions from interviewers overlapped and felt a little disorganized.

After the onsite, there was a take home coding test with vague specifications. I was given a JSON related question and was rejected based on the coding test. The feedback felt a highly nit picked and was contradictory to the assumptions stated in the question. This was a complete waste of my time . I already had another offer in hand and attended the interview because I committed to the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• One algorithm question based on comparing two sorted lists.
      Take home test based related to comparing JSON data from two files.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied the position in January and one editor contacted me in early February for an on-site interview at NYT Headquarters. Met one editor and one HR manager at the same time. The interview is pretty productive. It's a little bit different than the interviews I had before. They both didn't ask me too many questions. Instead, it's more like a conversation. They gave me more details about the position and I responded with my experience. The interview lasted 45 mins. At the end of the interview, the editor asked me when I can start, I replied ASAP, and he told me it's great because that they need someone can start immediately. I asked him if it is okay I contacted him if any further questions arise, he said "of course, you have my email. Email me if you have any questions."

Everything seems so nice. However, I heard no response after two weeks. So I sent a follow up email to check the hiring status, followed by no response. After another one week waiting, I sent second email since I need make my decision about another job offer soon. Have waited three days, but still no response.
    I know employers all try to be nice during the interview. But please do not promise interviewees some promises you can't keep.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The process moved very fast, I had a phone interview on a Friday, that ended with "lets set up the time for you to come into the office next week for a face to face." After the waiting for an email and not getting one, I reached out on Monday afternoon to follow up for next steps. I received the oddest email ever and contained this statement, "...we don't think he is the right fit for the role. His experience working in a large enterprise environments with no start-up experience really were not the right mix of experience we need."

I didn't know that the NYT was a 165 year old start-up? Anyway, Good Luck to the person that got hired at the NYT Start-up.

Interview Questions

• How many teams have you managed concurrently and what was the total number of employees and consultants?   Answer Question

NYT Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview at New York Times was my worst interview experience all the time. Because I never really got interviewed at last! I got an email from them and asked me for an interview. And I replied with my availability and phone number. Then the interviewer stood me up at the time and date she scheduled. And I followed up three times and no response. And now they must hire somebody else. NYT was a company I admired for a long time. If that is the way you treat your candidates, then your company might operate in a poor way somehow. NYT still do a great job at news, but I'm no longer a fan.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial interview was a phone screening with a HR rep (15 minutes). Asked to walk-through my resume/work experience. Standard screening. Very little exchange/interaction.
    Second interview was an on-site, in-person interview with the hiring manager (30 minutes). I described my current role and responsibilities and showed how it is similar to the responsibilities of the open position. However, after 10 minutes, it became apparent that the interviewer was 'super-focused' on what they wanted from this role and were not open to different but relevant experiences.

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a very short call with very little information shared. Didn't last more than 15 minutes. Also the recruiter kept pushing back the call. They didn't give any information about the position and only asked me a few questions.

Director, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disorganized and conflicting communication. Contacted by internal recruiter for brief conversation and asked to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was with another HR person (not hiring manager) and I don't think either side learned much that wasn't on my resume or in the job description. No contact for several weeks after which I was asked to come in for on-site interview. Arrived and hiring manager immediately told me he had been double booked and could only spend about 20 minutes with me. Short interview seemed to go well and ended with hiring manager saying he wanted me to come back and meet team. Emailed HR next day about scheduling follow up and got no response. Called HR about a week later and was told "I don't have your file in front of me send an email." About 2 weeks later got form email saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy. Replied expressing confusion as I had been told otherwise by hiring manager and got very curt reply confirming I was no longer being considered with no further explanation or feedback.

Interview Questions

• How many direct reports have you had in previous positions?

Interview focused on management experience and style with subject matter experience barely discussed   Answer Question

Inventory Manager - Video Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview, an in-person interview with an internal recruiter, followed by an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Interview questions were very direct, but the role was different than what was described in the listing. I believe they were looking for someone specific to ad ops. Both the hiring manager and the recruiter said they would be in-touch, but I followed up with a polite email later asking about my status - to which I received no reply. After making me come to the office for an interview for a role that was not clearly defined, I thought that was slightly unprofessional and rude.

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

HR representative started the phone call sounding very uninterested. She told me to walk her through my resume. She didn't ask me any follow up questions. It wasn't a conversation, sounded like she was just covering her bases on the job. I asked her one question about the position at the end of the call and she responded with a one sentence response. The call really threw me off and made me feel like I had no chance to get to the next step of the interview process.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. Then a phone call with the hiring manager. Was invited to an office visit. I met with 5 people over the course of 4 hours. Everyone was very nice and pleasant to talk to. A week or so after the in person interview HR contacted me to let me know that they had chosen another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions focused on the specific role and my direct experience with the role. How would I set up a marketing plan specific to that team?   Answer Question