New York Times Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.9

59 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was a very short call with very little information shared. Didn't last more than 15 minutes. Also the recruiter kept pushing back the call. They didn't give any information about the position and only asked me a few questions.

Director, Program Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Very disorganized and conflicting communication. Contacted by internal recruiter for brief conversation and asked to schedule phone interview. Phone interview was with another HR person (not hiring manager) and I don't think either side learned much that wasn't on my resume or in the job description. No contact for several weeks after which I was asked to come in for on-site interview. Arrived and hiring manager immediately told me he had been double booked and could only spend about 20 minutes with me. Short interview seemed to go well and ended with hiring manager saying he wanted me to come back and meet team. Emailed HR next day about scheduling follow up and got no response. Called HR about a week later and was told "I don't have your file in front of me send an email." About 2 weeks later got form email saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy. Replied expressing confusion as I had been told otherwise by hiring manager and got very curt reply confirming I was no longer being considered with no further explanation or feedback.

Interview Questions

• How many direct reports have you had in previous positions?

Interview focused on management experience and style with subject matter experience barely discussed   Answer Question

Graphics Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

First would be a phone screening process. If he/she likes you, you'll get invited to do an on-site interview which lasts for about 3.5 hours with 7 different people. Everything involves a lot of waiting time in between, but it the end it's worth it.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by a friend. I had several phone interviews with different managers and groups. After that, I did a take home coding test that took about 4-6 hours. Was flown in for a series of about five short interviews on-site. I was offered a position a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Shown some example code, asked what it does. Asked about my working style, what types of ticket tracking systems I've used, if I knew Agile.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They called me with an acceptable offer a few days after my interview. It included a small signing bonus to cover moving expenses. I didn't negotiate because the offer was acceptable.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

I initially applied online and then heard back about a month later. Once I heard back, the interview process took about 5 weeks. Had a preliminary interview with the hiring manager, who was super nice, then had a video interview with several designers & directors the following week. A few weeks after that I went to the NYT office to meet with several directors. Just keep in mind that the organization has a lot going on so there may be a couple interview reschedules--it's the news after all! They might call you back in for additional interviews too. Definitely recommend following up after your interviews to expedite the process!

Interview Questions

• Where do you want to be in 5 years?

Do you use our products? which ones?

What would you contribute to the role?   Answer Question

Inventory Manager - Video Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview, an in-person interview with an internal recruiter, followed by an in-person interview with the hiring manager. Interview questions were very direct, but the role was different than what was described in the listing. I believe they were looking for someone specific to ad ops. Both the hiring manager and the recruiter said they would be in-touch, but I followed up with a polite email later asking about my status - to which I received no reply. After making me come to the office for an interview for a role that was not clearly defined, I thought that was slightly unprofessional and rude.

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

HR representative started the phone call sounding very uninterested. She told me to walk her through my resume. She didn't ask me any follow up questions. It wasn't a conversation, sounded like she was just covering her bases on the job. I asked her one question about the position at the end of the call and she responded with a one sentence response. The call really threw me off and made me feel like I had no chance to get to the next step of the interview process.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. Then a phone call with the hiring manager. Was invited to an office visit. I met with 5 people over the course of 4 hours. Everyone was very nice and pleasant to talk to. A week or so after the in person interview HR contacted me to let me know that they had chosen another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions focused on the specific role and my direct experience with the role. How would I set up a marketing plan specific to that team?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

it is a regular intern hiring process that being asked about why to choose here and what motivation takes you here etc it is not an easy interview they force you but it is needed because here is New York Times. Even being intern here takes you further.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Times (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

First: I phone interview with some technical questions about why I use Spring, is a Java application faster than a NodeJS application, how Spring works, and explain new features of Java 8.
    Second: an interview on site, they offered transportation and hotel. Three hours with different people every 30 minutes. Questions about my previous experiences, algorithmic problems and architectural design.

Interview Questions

• Q: return the sum of all values of the same level in a binary tree.
      Q: optimize the recursive function for the fibonacci serie.
      Q: merge two JSON objects.
      Q: how to update a server in production keeping the same sessions.   1 Answer